Dano Kinda Thing Build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by boop, Dec 1, 2018.

1. Deegatron

Deegatron Tele-Meister

FYI, be careful with that radius block.
    I made one years ago about the same as yours.
    While it does create a nice rounded shape, it does flatten out a hair between the screws and the outer edges (at least mine did when compared to a template).
    Makes more of an elliptical shape than a perfectly round shape
    Long story short, 100% OK to use as long as you don't plan on using a stew mac fret press for installing frets... then you may have issues getting the frets to seat in some areas.

Looking very cool so far!

2. Greg M

Greg M Tele-Holic

Man, that is a thing of beauty
    . 9VKfaou.jpg

3. boop

boop Tele-Meister

Yeah, I can see that it isn't a perfect radius. I made my block nice and wide, so the curve seems pretty consistent as it was only using the center part of the block. It doesn't really flatten out between the screws because i glued the whole thing up with a dowel clamped down the center to hold everything in place. thanks

The neck on that one is fast.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  4. boop

boop Tele-Meister

Speaking of necks...
    Drew on a centerline and go; working each side gradually in with a rasp. I can see why people enjoy this part of a build. Won't go much thinner than pictured here. Just a bit over 1 inch at the first fret.
    [​IMG]

Steveinthesticks and Ekko like this.
  5. zorgzorg2

zorgzorg2 Tele-Meister

For side dots you can use toothpicks.

Nice work, keep on!

boop likes this.
  6. boop

boop Tele-Meister

Hammering frets was umm, not super fun. I radiused my frets like a maroon, which resulted in plenty of popping up fret ends towards the wide end on my neck. I handled this situation by a drop of superglue on the fret end, which wicked in and then using a spring clamp to hold it down for a few minutes. Seems good.

Hammering frets in i definitely dinged my frtboard here and there. Here is the worst of it. Whoops.
    [​IMG]
    As mentioned in other threads, I decided to try the beloved iron method, except i don't have an iron small enough to get between my 10th and 11th frets. So I took a sacrificial butter knife and got it sizzling hot on the stove.
    [​IMG]
    Then took a scrap of moistened paper towel, placed it on the offending ding and pressed.
    [​IMG]
    And not bad, some shellac will fill that in no problem. Lesser dings came out nearly entirely. I'll sand the fretboard before finishing.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I got my final carve very close by using a razor blade as a scraper. Just going by feel and trying to use long strokes to keep everytihng even.

I sanded to 600 grit its getting kind of shiny, I plan on only shellacing the neck. Is this too fine? I may have read somewhere I don't really want to go above 220 or 320 prior to finishing.

Should I raise the grain or just sand it back after a first coat of shellac?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
  7. boop

boop Tele-Meister

What could go wrong?
    [​IMG]
    j
    [​IMG]
    hmm... uhhh... Prototyping for control cavity cross ventilation
    [​IMG]
    But I decided the world wasn't ready and was concerned about attracting nesting birds.
    Moving on...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Masking tape left some darker stains in the shellac around the bridge, but I don't think it should effect action at the 12th fret.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
    GotRoot?, Ekko and src9000 like this.
  8. boop

boop Tele-Meister

Skipping to the end, I pretty much finished this weird little guitar and I'm pretty happy with the way it sounds and plays. I need to clean up the nut a little, make a control cavity cover, and maybe a pickguard (you can see where I was wailing on it). At some point I decided to slap this puppy together because I was unsure if my soft center block wood would compromise feel or tone somehow. I'm pleased to say it doesn't seem to.
    [​IMG]

A few build highlights for those building on a shoe string budget.

I decided to crown with a three sided file with the edges removed as it was available at my orange box hardware store immediately for $4. I had two low frets which made me sad, but taking my time and using black marker, it wasn't so horrible.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I cut my nut slots with rounded and roughed up feeler guages. I stole this idea from Ron Kirn's setup ebook. It worked totally fine. Bone smells gross.
    [​IMG]

Here is the typical Danelectro single coil in series circuitry courtesy of http://dennysguitars.homestead.com/DanoGuitarSchematics1.html
    [​IMG]
    I modified this circuit for a master tone as such.
    [​IMG]

I think that's pretty much it. Thanks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  9. Captain Nutslot

Captain Nutslot Friend of Leo's

very cool man, lets hear it

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.