1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Dano-ish build--looking for suggestions

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by maxvintage, Oct 25, 2017.

1. maxvintage

maxvintage Poster Extraordinaire

After thinking about it for a while I decided to go ahead and build a cheap hollow body bass. I like the attack you get from a hollow body; I built a series of hollow body teles that i really like, and I'm playing bass with a soul-alt.country band and looking for a more woody tone.

So here it is so far:

30 inch scale. Made of plywood. It has a "floating" bridge made of walnut and no pickup so far. Lipstick pickup on order

I had a mold already, from an archtop I built

And I used my trusty hillbilly bender to bend the plywood sides

Glued up some kerfing--note the HUGE neck block. I wanted to make sure it would be strong enough, and also I don't want this to be TOO resonant, because then it will feed back like crazy

I tried to force an arch onto the top, but mostly failed--it's very hard to make 1/4 ply form an arch without pressuring forming it on a mold. There is a very slight arch

The bass is completely hollow--this is a shot of the back cavity door, which is edged in some scrap walnut to screw the cover to

Now I need to finish it

Alex W, kkphoto, callasabra and 4 others like this.
  2. maxvintage

So I'm thinking one lipstick pickup, volume and tone, and then I'm not sure.

Rout for binding?

Paint it sonic blue?

What I'd really like to do is put a metal counter edge band on it, like on those old 1950s tables and counters. Formica would be cool on it as well, no?

Has anyone ever put metal edge banding on a guitar here? I searched but didn't find any examples

kkphoto and Zepfan like this.
  3. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

I know nothing about binding or edging, but that's a cool looking project.

How thick is the body?

4. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Nice. Reminds me of a Silvertone. I like short scales, too.

5. matmosphere

matmosphere Tele-Afflicted

Very cool.

6. maxvintage

Body is just over and inch and a half.

I have a friwnd who has a metal shop. I'm going to ask him

Zepfan likes this.
  7. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

That's a good idea. You could also check the HVAC aisles of your local Lowe's/Home Depot for something.

Like the Lipstick Tube Pickup idea, I would also consider a Rod Piezo with Preamp that can hadle the piezo and the pickup.

callasabra, TELE_BLUES and Macrogats like this.
  8. maxvintage

I went ahead and just stained it with what I had on hand (transtint dyes) and finsihed it with shellac. I decided to use a Lace "utraslim" pickup I had on hand

The plyeood was strange. It was just home depot 1/4 ply , and it did some off things--I think possibly when I used naptha to clean it, the knots under the top ply started to show. I had sanded it to level but when I started putting shellac on it these raised spots started appearing. They aren't terrible, but if I make another bass like this I'll either use solid wood or get a better grade of plywood. I was afraid to sand them flat because the top ply is not very thick at all

The tailpiece is a piece of scrap steel that I cut, drilled and stamped with the help of a friend, a local metal worker. It's made of steel on purpose, to counterbalance the headstock. The bass is very light but balances really well, because of the steel tailpiece

Here's what it sounds like, a little clip with a drum groove. I'm VERY happy with the way it sounds, very thumpy and deep

Edit SOUNDCLIP

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
  9. Bagman67

Bagman67 Tele-Meister

Sounds good! And very cool concept and execution.

10. kkphoto

kkphoto TDPRI Member

She is too cool for school! (Or "too cute to prosecute" as my wife the legal eagle would say)

11. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's

Looks and sounds great!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.