1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

dannyp8262's 2012 Challenge Build Thread -- COMPLETED

Discussion in '2012 TDPRI Tele Build Challenge' started by dannyp8262, Mar 14, 2012.

1. dannyp8262

dannyp8262 TDPRI Member

Finally!!! Sorry it took so long to update but...well you know...
    I have been a big chicken to tackle this neck but went for it today
    made the truss rod but my phone camera decided you should just imagine what that might have looked like. Here's the rod before I cut the slot in the adjustment nut.
    [​IMG]
    Turned out good:p
    [​IMG]
    Drilled the anchor hole
    [​IMG]
    Inserted the skunk strip and clamped it up!!
    [​IMG]
    I'll cut fret slots tomorrow and do the radius then start the carve!! I'll post more then!!!

2. Stefanovich

Stefanovich Tele-Holic

At least the grass is in good focus!

3. dannyp8262

dannyp8262 TDPRI Member

WOW!! You're right!!! And it needs to be mowed too!!

4. dannyp8262

dannyp8262 TDPRI Member

WOW!! I have a lot of catching up to do!!!
    I am SOOO glad I did this!!! I have learned a ton and feel very confident! I've made some glaring mistakes but I learn from these things. I've decided to fix what I can and leave the rest of it alone...it will add character!!
    Went to Harbor Freight and got a pull saw and got the slots cut.
    [​IMG]
    also got the dot markers drilled and filled with epoxy putty. I rolled it around in some stain and filled the holes!! Love that stuff!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Sorry i'm out of order...truss rod hole got wallered out and the fix looks terrible Glue and sawdust mix.
    It sanded ok but looks bad...Like Evander Holyfield's opponents!!! Hey...this IS the Champcaster after all!!! (this is before I sanded it)
    [​IMG]
    I made a 9-1/2" radius block and got to work...this should be easy:p
    [​IMG]
    :eek:Puff...Gasp...pant pant...:eek:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    puff gasp wheeeze:eek: Whew;)
    [​IMG]

Now to the back of the neck:p I found an old draw knife at my mother-in-laws and put it to work...sorry for the sucky pics. alot of them are gone altogether because my phone died and had to be replaced:mad:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Knife worked like a champ to hog a lot of the wood away:p
    Now THIS little guy is now my absolute favorite tool!!! It's a Pampered Chef Microplane:D This dude is a wood carving BEAST!!!!
    [​IMG]
    Here was an impulse decision...microplane, carve me an elbow contour!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here it is so far... I like it!!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. dannyp8262

dannyp8262 TDPRI Member

By the way, the nut is yet uncarved and just sitting there for the pics. It is deer antler!!!

6. Picton

Picton Friend of Leo's

That's a really interesting skunk stripe. I like it. You've got a nice build going on!

7. dannyp8262

dannyp8262 TDPRI Member

Thanks, it was the result of a not so hot routing job:oops:
    If you look closely the maple strip in the center isn't continuous:(
    When I glued it up, it seemed fine...glue on all surfaces, tight fit and so on...
    When I had begun to contour the back of the neck with the draw knife the center section broke and popped out :eek: Dangit!
    The rest of it was in there REALLY well so... out comes the glue bottle!
    It adds character:cool:Dontcha think!!!!

8. dannyp8262

dannyp8262 TDPRI Member

Hehe...:oops: Look at the 19th fret... I'm gonna hafta build a better miter box

9. dannyp8262

dannyp8262 TDPRI Member

What can I do to fill this? The end grain on the horns is fine but here...not so much. Also, do I need to use something like Z-Poxy or CA glue to level the pine for a high gloss finish? I know pine usually doesn't need filling but I really like a transparent (maybe even a little amber or butterscotch color) high gloss finish. I'm going to use Minwax Golden Oak stain to slightly darken the Cherry and then enough coats of Tru Oil to get a nice sheen on the top. Thanks!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here's a sneak peek at a piece of cherry with Tru Oil over the light stain!!!
    [​IMG]
    I Love BC Tru Oil!!!

10. dannyp8262

dannyp8262 TDPRI Member

Got a package from Guitar Fetish!!! It's a Power Rock Neovin bridge pickup, .022uf caps, knobs and 2 1meg pots!! WoooHooo!! Sorry about the lousy focus...:(
    I couldn't stand it any longer so I started oiling the cherry. I also routed the pickup and control cavity. I decided to put the cavity in the back
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    made the cavity cover from scrap cherry. turned out sloppy so I'll redo it later.
    [​IMG]
    I am thinking black stain sanded back then tru oiled for the pine but not sure on the color so I'm open to color suggestions.
    Got it wired and strung and BY GOLLY IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I do think I'm going to thin the back of the neck though. the contour is just to thick. I thought I'd really like it like that but after playing it for a couple of days it's just too thick
    [​IMG]

11. dannyp8262

dannyp8262 TDPRI Member

Any ideas? Spackle, epoxy putty, to deep for grain filling. I am thinking about bursting the cherry to black at the edge and moving to a somewhat transparent black on the back. I'll be burning the brand on the body in the next couple of days...I'll post video!

12. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

I think you could use high-viscosity CA to drop fill. I'm using on mine right now. I'm assuming you want something clear? I don't know how it would take stain, though. . . . Maybe color it first, then CA?

13. emoney

emoney Tele-Afflicted

Two things in that pic, actually: fill the gap between the body and top with a slurry of
    super glue and sawdust. You want to get some glue in there so you don't have to worry
    as much about the top drawing up on you later on the down the road. As to the end
    grain, is it too deep to sand out? Being on the bottom like that, doesn't look like it would
    affect the body shape enough to be noticeable if it is sandable. If not, personally I'd just
    use Epoxy to seal the body with and to level that area and not worry about it. The epoxy
    should help to prevent it further eroding. There's tons of threads around on applyiing it.

The build is coming along great. You're going to finish with something to be mighty proud
    of!

14. dannyp8262

dannyp8262 TDPRI Member

Emoney I'm glad you were looking because I hadn't even noticed the gap:eek:
    I ended up just sanding the pits out of the edge and it worked fine. The super glue slurry fixed the gap in the top.:p
    Now, I thought I wanted a nice thick neck...until I saddled it up last week and played it. Way to thick (1 full inch) so I thought I'd just run on out to the shop and whittle it down a bit. That was when I realized that I needed to be more observant of my truss rod route. I've never built a guitar before so It never occurred to me to look at the depth of the route in the center of the neck. It wasn't deep enough to allow the skunk strip to glue properly to the channel and it popped out:eek: Durnit I just couldn't leave well enough alone:(
    Now, I have another slab of maple just sitting there waiting to become a neck but I have plans for my second build and it's the one I'm going to use so I had to fix this one.
    I wish I had taken pictures:neutral:
    I grabbed my drill and drilled out the headstock plug and removed the adjustment nut from the heel and removed the truss rod:D
    Set up the router jig and re-routed the center area of the channel to allow the rod to sit a little deeper. I re-cut the threads in the rod and re-installed it. I ended up using cherry for the strip and IT WORKED!!!!!
    This is the only pic I took of the process and I only took that when my heart started beating again:D:D:D:D
    [​IMG]

15. dannyp8262

dannyp8262 TDPRI Member

I also stained the back and sides of the body and I have mixed feelings. I like the way it looks but it's splochy:(
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My beautiful wife Tammy and my son Andy say they like it, that it looks "rugged" so I'll just go with it. I do like it but when it turned out the way it did I thought I'd just paint it solid black but, I'll just leave it alone.
    Here's the "New and Improved" neck
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I'm gonna hit it with tru oil and install the nut. I'll gloss up the body and get it put together and see what it feels like now!!:p
    What an adventure!!!

16. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

What an adventure, that's a good way to put it. I agree with your family, I like the rustic look, it works well on this build.

17. Dep

Dep Tele-Holic

Way to keep on plugging away, Danny. Thanks for sharing your adventure with us.

Dep

18. dannyp8262

dannyp8262 TDPRI Member

Welp, Almost done! I was going to try to make my own nut from a piece of deer antler but backed away from it because I don't have any nut files. But I didn't want to use a pre-cut nut :)idea:sounds like a band name) so I looked around at some threads and saw 1 using a feeler gauge. I filed some teeth in the blades and filed the grooves!! It's no substitute for proper files but you can't argue with success either!!
    Here are some pics all strung up:D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Wow I didn't realize how reliced the back looks in the pic:eek:
    I promise I'll relic it the right way:p

19. dannyp8262

dannyp8262 TDPRI Member

My son and I branded it last night!!!

[​IMG]

20. dannyp8262

dannyp8262 TDPRI Member

This is it!!!! Done!!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This has been a great experience! I have learned so much and have enjoyed it all!!! I am honored to be a part of all of you.
    I can't wait to get started on the next one!!!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.