1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

dannyp8262's 2012 Challenge Build Thread -- COMPLETED

Discussion in '2012 TDPRI Tele Build Challenge' started by dannyp8262, Mar 14, 2012.

1. dannyp8262

dannyp8262 TDPRI Member

Welp, I discovered that my router bit isn't long enough to reach past the template to route the sides of the body so I had to go old school on it with a sanding block and a dowel:p
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    turned out pretty good though!
    After it was cleaned up I used it to trace the top.
    [​IMG]
    Then I cut it out and edge sanded it with the body but my camera (Droid 3) decided it wouldn't keep THAT picture so here's the body and the top all glued up! I'm using my template in the glue up too
    [​IMG]
    I'll start on the neck soon

2. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

what people usually do is just remove the template after you've made the first few passes and then use the routed part of the body as the guide for the bottom most portion.

3. dannyp8262

dannyp8262 TDPRI Member

Hey guys I'm starting on the neck and I have some questions. :confused:
    I'm making a 1 piece neck from maple
    1. I'm gonna make my truss rod. What diameter rod should I use? I've been looking at Scatter's posts particularly making the anchor and all so I think I'm OK there but any suggestions you all might have would be just AWESOME too!

2. Here's where I'm a little nervous:eek: I'm gonna route the curved channel. How deep should the route be at it's shallowest point in the center of the route? I've traced a template that jpbturbo had posted on another thread so I think I have the curve right and I'll make several passes to get it complete on one of my pine neck templates before I make maple chips:D
    I know that once I've done one I'll be OK but just wanting to get it right. Thanks in advance!!

4. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I use 3/16" rod.

Here is how I build a single action neck.

I don't have a link for how I built my jig though. Jack Wells has the an excellent thread on building a one piece neck truss rod routing jig though. I am pretty sure I robbed ideas for my jig from Jack.

5. dannyp8262

dannyp8262 TDPRI Member

Awesome!! Thanks Colt!

6. dannyp8262

dannyp8262 TDPRI Member

OK... I am fired UP!!!! I built a truss rod routing jig :D I know this might not seem like a big deal but I used it on one of my practice necks and IT WORKED!!:D:D
    Curved sides on and center line drawn
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I'm using the straight edge guide on the router and it works great!
    I set the router depth to take no wood on the highest part of the route in the middle and to begin to bite as it moves along the track.
    BUT, I did have a bit of a problem because I forgot to set the plunge stop :oops:
    Pushing the router away was fine but as I drew it back toward me I pushed down and "GRIIIIIND"!!!
    [​IMG]
    Oh well "you live and learn or you don't live long!!" so I set the plunge stop and routed away!!! Perfect!!! I ran out of daylight so I'll likely start on the real neck tomorrow! ;)
    Here are some more pics...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I also made one of these!!!
    [​IMG]

7. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Great work on your jigs, dannyp-- you're coming along nicely. And a lady friend with her own wood shop--? That's outstanding!

8. RogerC

Good job! I know how satisfying it is to actually make a jig that works lol. I've had a few failures, so when I finally got one set up that did what it was supposed to, I was elated :lol:

9. emoney

emoney Tele-Afflicted

Why sure it's a "big deal". Anything that puts a person a step closer to building his/her
    own guitar will always be. Oh, and now you see why "practice necks" are so important, lol.
    Each time you do a step in the process, you get better at it than before. Keep up the good work.

10. dannyp8262

dannyp8262 TDPRI Member

Hey guys, another question,
    My wife and I had to spend a pile of $$$ to replace the engine in her car so my budget is now...gone:(
    I don't have a fretting saw. I do, however have a coping saw and I noticed that Scatter was using one too.
    My question...is there a particular blade to look for that will best serve the purpose or will anything do? what do I need to know?
    Thanks

11. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire

Just get a blade kerf that closely matches the tang width of the fret wire.

12. emoney

emoney Tele-Afflicted

Anything that'll cut a slot the width of a fret tang. StewMac's fretwire is .023", for instance.
    There's plenty of cheap pulls saws that same width too, I suppose.

13. Picton

Picton Friend of Leo's

Harbor Freight's got a little pullsaw that's just the right width. It's advertised as a flush-cutting saw, so it's backless; a miter box is recommended to keep it from curving as you cut, but the width is perfect and it only costs like $7.

Good luck! I know how those unexpected car repairs can put a serius dent in your budget.

14. RogerC

I feel you, man. I just had to sell a guitar and a jointer to finish funding my build. hang in there man.

15. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

You can also cut your slots a bit wider than the fret tang and glue them all in. NickJD posted a thread about leveling the fretboard perfectly straight. Making a clamping caul using the fretboard as a mold, and simply glueing all the frets in, clamping, and let dry. If the board is straight, he said you didn't even have to level the frets.

I plan on experimenting with this method when I get back to my complete workshop.

16. dannyp8262

dannyp8262 TDPRI Member

Hope everyone had a GREAT Easter! I almost killed my neck blank:oops:
    I was routing truss rod channel and everything was grooving right along!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Then one of the clamps let go and the neck blank shifted just enough to route a 4 leaf clover on the back of my neck:(Double sided tape??? we don't need no steeenking double sided tape!!!:oops:
    [​IMG]
    well Poop! Every scenario shot through my head from tossing the router out the window to using the neck blank to toast marshmallows over but hey...it was my own dumb fault! I was doing the route in many passes and I had maybe 2 more passes and thought ":idea:HEY!!! I should stop and just check everything" 1 more pass and...well...
    This was my first solution...
    [​IMG]
    I could just hide the mistake under a fretboard but I just can't drop the cash so better to just sleep on it a few days and see what comes up:p
    This is what came up:D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I routed a 3/4" channel and filled it with cherry Then I'll route my truss rod channel in the cherry and use maple for the skunk stripe!!!:D
    I'm thinking it will have a laminated neck look;)
    More tomorrow!!!

17. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

I think it will look better than the original. Seems like a bunch of us have had trouble with the truss rod slot this year, myself included. Seems like such a simple thing to route a straight line in a board with a straight edge. Anyway excellent recovery.

18. RogerC

Brilliant solution! That's going to be a very cool feature when it's all done. *thumbs up*

19. dannyp8262

dannyp8262 TDPRI Member

Welp! Lot's done today!!!!
    Here's a pic routing the new truss rod channel
    [​IMG]
    Done!!! WoooHooo!!!:D I'm going to anchor the rod in the heel and make the adjustment in the headstock. I just need to find something suitable for the adjustment nut.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Cut out the neck today! The jigsaw was breathing hard cutting 5/4 maple but it came through like a champ!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It's cut and routed to the template. I didn't manage to get pics of the process though. I just routed it on my benchtop router table
    [​IMG]
    I also drilled the tuner holes and cut the head stock down to the right thickness.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. dannyp8262

dannyp8262 TDPRI Member

More updates coming soon

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.