Danny Gatton Telecaster No Longer Offered By Fender

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by gypsy jim, May 14, 2021.

1. gypsy jim

gypsy jim Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I was just on Fender's website and noticed they don't offer Danny's signature model anymore. I think the highest bridge number I've seen was in the twelve-hundreds. That's not a lot of guitars for an almost 30 year production run. I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
    There are some interesting new offerings from Fender but after building your own it's hard to back to buying stock when it doesn't have everything you want.

Last edited: May 14, 2021
    ieatlions and El Tele Lobo like this.
  2. telel6s

telel6s Tele-Afflicted

Looks like it's still available through the Custom Shop. Sweetwater lists it as a $5000 special order. So I guess if you have the cash, Fender will be happy to make one for you. The only eBay "sold" listing for a used DG Tele I saw was for $3500 + shipping. I don't recall what the price was for the off-the-rack DG Teles that I used to see once in a while at Guitar Center, but I thought they were in the same range as a SRV Strat, James Burton Tele or Eric Johnson Strat which today are in the $1900-$2150 range.
    http://www.fendercustomshop.com/ser...ture-telecaster-maple-fingerboard-frost-gold/
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...anny-gatton-signature-telecaster-honey-blonde

I was lucky enough to get to see him play in the DC area on a number of occasions from some bigger venues to local bars. As amazing and respected a guitarist as he was, I found it kind of cool that Fender did the Danny Gatton model despite his lack of broader popular music notoriety, and that it has stayed in the Fender line up for so long.

3. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

The struggle is real...

teletimetx likes this.
  4. dlew919

dlew919 Doctor of Teleocity

I think the thing with Danny is that maybe 5% of the public had heard of of him 50% of telecaster owners knew who he was. That counts.

ThermionicScott likes this.
  5. ieatlions

ieatlions Tele-Holic

I really can’t see myself buying a Tele off the shelf in the future. My partcaster is exactly what I wanted. No compromises were made and it plays and sounds as good as any £2000k Fender Tele I’ve played. I’ve got £500ish into it.

El Tele Lobo and televillian like this.
  6. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

It seems like the Gatton went to Custom Shop only about 15 years ago; but when they had production-line model it was just a bit more expensive than an SRV Strat or Burton Tele. I doubt they made that many production-line versions, and since it went CS only they don't make many of them each year.

EDIT: Never mind; I was thinking of the Robert Cray Strats where they took the USA production line version to Custom Shop.:oops::oops::oops:

It looks like back in the 1990s the price difference between the Gatton (and the Albert Collins as well) CS models and the USA production line signature models like the SRV and the Burton Tele wasn't as large as it became after 2000. Been going through the old price lists.

Last edited: May 15, 2021
  7. Jon C

Jon C Tele-Meister

i don’t follow that. The Gatton was introduced iirc as a Custom Shop model from the start, mid 1990s (?1994), so more than 20 years ago. The very first ones, including mine with Bardens that was originally Danny’s, were CS.

Have you seen non CS Gatton Teles with the DGxxxx serial number scheme? Mine was DG01xx iirc.

8. tanplastic

tanplastic Tele-Afflicted

Mine's from 1994, serial #DG03xx, doesn't have the CS neckplate yet or the fancy case.
    I played through the original frets and went stainless for the refret.
    It's been mistaken for a Relic on more than one occasion :mad:.
    I wasn't looking for a Telecaster when a friend called and said he had two (!) Gatton Telecasters and I should consider buying one of them.
    One was gold, the other natural ash.
    He kept the gold and I bought the rather unattractive natural one.
    After the money changed hands, we removed the necks to discover Danny's signature in the neck pocket of mine. Friend was less thrilled than I was.

kafka, Strebs, Slip Kid and 1 other person like this.
  9. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

No; you're correct. I was thinking of the Cray Strat - it had a USA production line model that went to a CS model; eventually they dropped the CS model and only have the MIM version.

Jon C likes this.
  10. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I think the expense of sourcing the cubic zirconia side markers was simply making them cost-prohibitive to manufacture

11. Hpilotman

Hpilotman Tele-Meister

You are right on.
    As the years pass only die hard guitar historians will call guys like Danny Gatton and Roy Buchanan to remembrance. I venture to say that even the TELE players under thirty not many of them know about DG or RB or JB.
    I've had the good fortune of helping educate a 40 year old New TELE and STRAT player on some of the greats from the past such as Jimmy Bryant and Eldon Shamblin.
    It is up to us to pass on the knowledge before we pass on from this life.

dlew919 and Jon C like this.
  12. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

So what ? A set of Bardens in a vintage style Tele , should get close enough , or ?

13. Jon C

Jon C Tele-Meister

need a big big neck, Vintique hardware, etc. imo.

The zirconium dots are a pita but the 2 DGs I played were excellent instruments and with the Bardens and other details, its own thing. I’m not generally a gold guitar guy but this one was nice. :cool:

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  14. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Though they are/were well made, they appeal mostly to fanboys.
    I have seen, played, set up, and sold several in my past life as a guitar shop guy.
    The zirconia fall out, and the pickups, whether Barden or Lawrence are BRIGHT!
    The gold finish is an acquired taste, too.
    The natural ones look nice.

15. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Oh , come on , No one NEEDS anything that has to do with Jay Monterose ! There are so many other alternatives...
    Forget it , I just dont get the need for Signature Guitars , I guess

Kiwi_Neil likes this.
  16. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

I *think* I recall from Unfinished Business, his biography, that he spent some time in the CS assembling a few.

17. tanplastic

tanplastic Tele-Afflicted

Yes, he bent some of the switches as well, another cool feature of the DG model.

archetype likes this.
  18. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Afflicted

Saw one hanging on the wall about a month or so ago at Chuck Levin’s. I believe the price was mid $3kish. Acquired taste, which I have no interest in acquiring.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  19. Hpilotman

Hpilotman Tele-Meister

Joe Barden pickups are great but will expose every flaw in one's playing. A top pro player in my area has a black Telecaster with JB Pickups and he told me you have to hit every note cleanly or it sounds not so good. He makes them sound great but gave me very good advice as a weekend duffer to buy something like Texas Specials.

archetype likes this.
  20. KnopflerStyle

KnopflerStyle Tele-Afflicted

Signature Guitars... No sense with custom shop options.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.