Danny Gatton signature Tele. Pickup variations?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by archetype, Nov 20, 2019.

1. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

I'd be interested in a comparison of pickups that have been available in the Danny Gattton signature Telecaster. IIRC over the years the pickups have gone through 4 stages, at least in the way they marketed them.

1. The Barden set

2. The Bill "Wilde" Lawrence set that was produced when Joe Barden quit the biz. I assume that BL made them, but I don't know what the facts are. Do they correspond to any standard BL model, or were they spec'd specifically for this guitar? How do they sound compared to the Bardens? I've seen comments that they didn't replicate the tone and characteristics.

3. The "Fender Custom Designed" set. Were they still BL pickups, Fender reproductions of the BL pickup, or a unique Fender design? How do they sound compared to the Bardens?

3. The current "Fender Custom Designed" pickups, which are "Bill Lawrence-designed pickups based on the original specs of Gatton’s personal instrument." Are these the same as the #2 or #3 set, or something different. How do they sound compared to the Bardens?

Who has a DG sig and can comment?

Here's the object as it is, today.
    CS Danny Gatton Signature Telecaster

Fretting out likes this.
  2. Derek Kiernan

Derek Kiernan Friend of Leo's

None of the Bill Lawrence designed variants were like Bill's offerings. Bill did the L45/L48 to capture exactly what he wanted from a high performance dual blade pickup and was pretty dismissive of the design he did for Fender.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  3. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Interesting. Thanks.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.