Daniel Radcliffe to portray Weird Al Yankovic Biopic

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
You've missed out, then. The silliness of his lyrics combined with genuine musical talent makes for some great entertainment. I saw him live a few years ago and he was great.
You know I said I'd look him up and I did. I think the only thing I might have ever seen him in was the video from years ago when he was doing a fat parody of maybe Michael Jackson. I did watch him play the accordion, and I guess if he can play an accordion good enough to get me to watch his video, he does indeed have talent. Not my cup of tea, but then again that's what makes the world go around.

TomBrokaw

Tele-Meister
You know I said I'd look him up and I did. I think the only thing I might have ever seen him in was the video from years ago when he was doing a fat parody of maybe Michael Jackson. I did watch him play the accordion, and I guess if he can play an accordion good enough to get me to watch his video, he does indeed have talent. Not my cup of tea, but then again that's what makes the world go around.
Good to hear!

At the risk of being pushy, I might recommend two more. They're both long.

Albuquerque is an original, a great shaggy dog story and pastiche a la One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer.

Trapped in the Drive Thru is a parody, and while I am fairly certain you're not into the style of music, the sheer banality of the events described therein always cracks me up. Also, apparently they couldn't get the rights to sample Black Dog, so that interlude is his band.

dogmeat

Friend of Leo's
I love that guy. I am he... if I had more talent. or the willpower to actually do it right. I've been making up weirdo, lyrics to pop songs longer than he has (I'm older). like every one since the mid 60s. trouble is... I get way more raunchy.... no air time for that stuff Ha Ha

Last edited:

Greggorios

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I’m glad to hear so much praise for him. Nice to know he was liked as a person and a musician/performer.

TeleMark

Tele-Meister
I dig weird al. I was very into him when boy bands were popular, and ironically it coincided with me really getting into music in general.

At a live show at the Midland theater a couple years back, he left mid song singing wireless while a camera guy followed. Took a lap around the block, interacting with random pedestrians. My sister had no idea who he was, and he was singing at her. Her friend was at the concert and told her later.

Funny guy.
Same. I saw Al in the mid-80s, and again a few years back where he played nothing but his originals. Dude is a major talent. To dismiss him as a novelty act is a cheap knee-jerk response. Novelty acts rarely last 4 decades, and he is, by all accounts, a genuinely nice man.

But there are always some "purer than thou" folks, and I guess a forum dedicated to a 70 year old guitar will have a higher than average percentage of them.

TeleMark

Tele-Meister
Jonah Hill is going to play Jerry Garcia and now this.
Is there a lack of actors in Hollywood who actually resemble the artists that they are supposed to play??
Going to suggest that it is called acting. If you had to look like the person you were playing, it would sort of limit your selection.

Mike Eskimo

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Live, he and his band are really good.

Always brings a smile.

Radcliffe, by the way, has really done a phenomenal job of acknowledging Harry Potter and then just doing a crazy amount of varied stuff since that whole franchise ended

Digital Larry

Friend of Leo's
I like Weird Al, seen him 4 or 5 times. Maybe you don't like this sort of thing, hey that's OK. I think it is hilarious and his humor is often multi-layered.