1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Daniel Johnston - Honey I Sure Miss You

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by wacolo, Nov 26, 2020.

1. wacolo

wacolo Tele-Holic

scook and superjam144 like this.
  2. superjam144

superjam144 Tele-Afflicted

No way.. A fellow Johnston fan? Much love. He is a genius... Love his early recordings with his mini organ, Songs of Pain...

Wow. Awesome. He was a tortured artist/idiot savant in my humble. Rest easy Dan.

I got to see him before he died in NYC.

Played a couple open mics when I was in my early 20's and did a couple songs of Dan's... Speeding Motorcycle and Some Things Last a Long Time.. People were blown away hearing those lyrics..

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
    wacolo likes this.
  3. Neener

Neener Tele-Holic

Very fortunate to have seen him in Detroit years back!

superjam144 likes this.
  4. scook

scook Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Cool artist. Probably not for everyone but definitely worth checking out.

Such a cool mentality of do it your own way, record it yourself, and distribute it yourself because no mainstream folks would touch it.

whoanelly15 and superjam144 like this.
  5. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Friend of Leo's

I love many of his songs and I want to feel fortunate for having seen him perform some of them, but I mostly feel like I hope he was at least paid well for it. It was an excruciatingly awkward and difficult performance to experience.

superjam144 likes this.
  6. TNO

TNO Friend of Leo's

Back when I lived in Austin I used to let the morning traffic rush go down then find a place to eat breakfast that had a free newspaper. Most of the time that was breakfast tacos but sometimes I'd end up at the McDonald's by my house and it would be the old guy's breakfast club and there was this kid cleaning tables. Couldn't figure out if he was a weirdo or a hipster but he stood out. When I saw the documentary a few years back I realized that kid was DJ.

whoanelly15 likes this.
  7. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

I heard a Daniel Johnston song being used in a slick TV commercial during an NFL game. Instead of being disgusted, I just smiled and thought, “Wait, Daniel is now mainstream?”

8. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Afflicted

Always felt that were it not for his mental illness that he’d have been the next Neil Young, but then it would have been something different altogether. Still, Daniel’s music is just so easy to connect with. RIP, DJ. Hope that True Love found you in the end.

Here’s one of my favorite performances of his. The world needs more of this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.