1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Daniel Donato & El Grateful Dead

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Boxla, Oct 29, 2020.

1. Boxla

Boxla Tele-Meister

I absolutely love Daniel's playing but probably even more his attitude. This kid is something else. I first became aware of him from a Reverb interview video a couple of years ago. He now has his own band The Cosmic Cowboys and an album out. Like me, he loves the guitar and he loves The Dead. He has a ton of great live videos on YouTube as well as some fantastic lesson type videos. His energy is contagious and his playing is phenomenal. I hope to see him live one day when touring continues.

G-52 and joealso like this.
  2. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Tele-Holic

Two chords...

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  3. EllroyJames

EllroyJames Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

Matt Sarad, Dan R and joealso like this.
  4. skradlee

skradlee TDPRI Member

Daniel's enthusiasm and joy of playing are truly inspiring to see. I was lucky enough to hang with him for about 20 minutes this year at NAMM. He played the first few bars of Sultans of Swing and the friggin hair on my arms stood on end. That kid is not only a great player but a genuinely awesome dude.

5. Slap Axe

Slap Axe Tele-Meister

I'm a Dead fan and have seen many, many Dead cover bands over the years. There are some very good ones out there right now.

I was not familiar with him, so I watched this cold. I don't know man, he's got his own approach to the material, I'll give him that. That's kind of a weird trebley over-reverbed tone he's got going, in my opinion, and I wish he wasn't so flat on the vocal high notes, that was slightly painful.

He showed some speedy licks towards the end there, clearly he can play, not that it's all about speed or anything, but for my tastes, I just wasn't really feeling his tone, his riffs, his flow, or his vocals. I'll have to watch some of his other stuff and give him another chance. Obviously just one old Deadhead's humble opinion here, but I honestly just didn't see anything special at all.

Boxla and Old Plank like this.
  6. Cam

Cam Tele-Afflicted

Saw DD rippin it up in Nashville 2014. At Roberts Western World with the Don Kelly band. Whoa! Killer picker!!
    Every player needs to go to Nashville to find out what a guitar player they aren't. Hah! Fortunately I knew that before I went. No delusions were broken. He does know more than 2 chords too.

skradlee likes this.
  7. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

The kid can really play, but I am not in love with his take on the Dead. That said, I would love to see him do his own Jam thing going forward. He is a real talent.

Old Plank likes this.
  8. davidge1

davidge1 Friend of Leo's

Too many effects, too much "emoting", not enough substance.

Old Plank likes this.
  9. Boxla

Boxla Tele-Meister

I certainly did not post this particular video to show off his guitar playing nor his "mastery" of a Dead tune or his singing. I just posted it to show who Daniel is and a video of him playing a Dead tune. Yes a 2 chord Dead tune, the exact same two chords Jerry played when he wrote the song and the same two chords Jerry and Bob played live for 18 years.

But more than his playing, his singing and his choice of songs, it's his attitude and approach to life that I like the most. And he loves to share his knowledge and love of the guitar to all who will listen.

Here's more chords and more of Daniel's playing. Robert is incredible as well.

10. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I love Jerry and like to see those who play homage....its the classic problem with covering a great band- who is going to top the dead being the dead?

Tube Life and Boxla like this.
  11. Boxla

Boxla Tele-Meister

I agree and even the Dead and Co. are not anywhere close to The Dead. It's good, I enjoy going to the shows and am super glad they are doing it in the first place but at the end of the day, we are talking about the Grateful Dead. The greatest rock n roll band ever and by far, the most Americana band that's ever been.

12. Ghostdriver

Ghostdriver Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Tell me, as a English guy who grew up with Zeppelin, Purple, Cream, etc etc I never got the whole Dead thing, I bought American Beauty and was underwhelmed and then left well alone.
    You guys on here seem to hold them right up there, please enlighten me, I am a big fan of Americana, country, rockabilly et al, but the Grateful Dead, I don’t know where to start...school me please !

Danb541 likes this.
  13. Danb541

Danb541 Tele-Afflicted

I was born in Eugene, Oregon. The Dead used to play the Country Fair here back in the day. There are so many dead heads and hippies in this town sometimes it feels like Eugene hit 1970 and stayed there. That said, it's not you being English. I don't understand the appeal of the Dead either. Never have, never will.

Ghostdriver likes this.
  14. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Start here:

https://www.gratefuldeadoftheday.com/

Live is what you need to hear when talking about the Dead. Every day they spotlight the best concert of that day in Dead History... and today is a 77 show!

PastorJay and Slap Axe like this.
  15. Leonardocoate

Leonardocoate Tele-Meister

I saw him in Nashville when he was 16. I was blown away by him. I got to talk to him briefly after his gig, and thought what nice young man, his playing and attitude is going to take him a long way. I have been keeping my eye out for him ever since. I like the Cosmic Cowboys....thanks for the post, he deserves the nod.

16. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Afflicted

I personally like American Beauty and other music from that era, but I agree that it's the live concerts that either make or break them for most people. What I love is that the unpredictability of any given show. At any given time they had over 100 songs in rotation. And they might go, in one concert, from Rock N Roll to country to blues to funk to free jazz to, well, you get the idea, with improvisation in between songs. The unpredictability means that some shows are tremendous and some shows aren't. There were definite eras though.

1977 is considered by many to be a year full of great shows. Personally, I prefer the shows from 1980 to 1985, although 1977 is growing on me.

Depending on what kind of music service you use, it might cost you nothing or next to it to download a couple shows. Cornell 1977 is great. So is Spectrum, Philadelphia, from April of 82, part of the Road Trips series.

You could also check out Dead.net, which posts live recordings every week.

artdecade likes this.
  17. Slap Axe

Slap Axe Tele-Meister

It's alright, lots of people don't get it:D. Here's a segment from a famous live recording that you likely haven't heard before based on your post. If this one doesn't get your foot tapping, your head bobbing, and your guitarist's ears perked up, then I'm afraid there's likely no hope for you...and that's ok!:)

stonetone7, PastorJay and Boxla like this.
  18. Boxla

Boxla Tele-Meister

OK, if we are going to go to school, we need to get a baseline to know what we're starting with.
    Out of curiosity, do you get Bob Dylan, The Doors or Reggae music? I think if you like Americana and Country but found American Beauty underwhelming, you should maybe give it another try. It's a perfect album to many people. The songwriting, singing and musicianship. Box of Rain (beautiful song about Phil's father passing away), Friend of the Devil (it's become a National pastime song), Sugar Magnolia (my God how can we not like that song?), Operator (my least favorite on the album), Candyman (incredible and better live as all of them are), Ripple (amazing song), Brokedown Palace (as good as a song gets), Till the Morning Comes, Attics (good tunes), Truckin' (great song the Grateful Dead and fans comprised into one song)

Slap Axe and PastorJay like this.
  19. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

He has got a country guitar method out. I have it, but i haven't got into it yet.

PastorJay likes this.
  20. Ghostdriver

Ghostdriver Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Hey I am a music nut, but my schooling comes from all angles, I have everything from the Stooges, MC5 to Hendrix, The Doors, all 70's punk rock USA style and British, through to Grunge, and especially late 50's to modern day rockabilly and rock n roll.
    Funny you say reggae, having that blasted around punk gigs in London back in the day, heavy dub reggae I can deal with but no, not especially. Dylan, no !!! Great songsmith but for me, Dylan is like Willie Nelson, the voice grates on me ha ha !!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.