Dangerous toys from our youth.

Engine Swap

Friend of Leo's
il_794xN.2562537956_klyp.jpg

Could lead to blindness

I won a copy of this at an elementary school “fun fair” of all places. I think I was in 6th grade.

I put it up on the bedroom wall and my mom confiscated it within 30 minutes, thus saving my vision.

hnryclay

Tele-Holic
There was a theme park on the North Carolina mountains called Tweetsie Railroad. We would go there annually, in the way home we would stop by tourist trap western stores that sold bamboo spears wooden stick horses cap guns etc... My brother and I both were given a set of spears and tomahawks. The next day while playing, my younger brother hit me in the face with the spear full on swinging it like a baseball bat. He split both my lips, and broke my nose. We had full access to my dads tools, except the power tools. We constructed a dam across a seasonal creek. It was a real beauty 3 feet tall with mortar we mixed using silt and quickrete. It made a great swimming hole, until a huricane came through the mountains and flooded our entire neighborhood, since the creek was damed up, and jumped its banks following the road into all of our yards and houses. Tools, are truly the most fun, and dangerous toys.

John Owen

Friend of Leo's
OK - so here's one a former co-worker of mine told me about after I was way too old and wise to actually try it. BUT if I had known about it as a kid I would have been the Exalted Grand Poo-bah of the entire north end of Frogtown...
Here's how it went - get a dry cleaner bag (you know the really flimsy plastic ones), a bottle of liquid drain-o, a little bit of aluminum foil and some matches. Drop little wads of aluminum foil into the bottle of Dran-o and capture the hydrogen that results in the dry cleaner bag until you get it about half full. Tie a knot in the bag leaving a nice long tail. Light the end of the dry cleaner bag 'tail' with the matches you brought and then let it float up into the sky. By the time it reaches an altitude of about 100 ft, the flame catches up with the bag of hydrogen and KA-BOOM. At that point all the other 10 year old boys in the neighborhood are kneeling before you chanting "we are not worthy" and you are eternally relegated to a god-like status.

Blue Bill

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I must have been a spoiled brat, 'cause I remember having 99% of the toys mentioned here. We would build model planes and cars, luckily, for some reason I thought sniffing the glue was an obviously stupid thing to do, but we all had tubes of Testor's for model building. I once saw a kid sniffing glue from a little brown paper bag. I asked him, "What does it do?" His reply: "It rots your brain." I should thank him, I never was tempted after that. We would fill the models with lighter fluid and send them floating in the pond, or rolling down a hill, flames everywhere.

We made a tennis ball cannon that was six feet tall, it would blast tennis balls absolutely out of sight into the sky. We never found them.

How about those playground swing sets, you could get about 25 feet in the air and go weightless. Riding our Sting-Rays as fast as we could into storm ditches filled with rainwater, excellent mayhem. A big box of wooden matches, what fun; you hold a match with one finger and flick it with the other hand, striking it and sending a burning projectile spiraling at each other.

It seems kids these days hardly get off the couch.

These were awesome, you could blow a kid's hat off from 40 feet away:

blaster.jpeg bazooka kid.jpeg

RollingBender

Tele-Afflicted
Vendor Member
Growing up on a farm is very dangerous for unsupervised children but it was fun.

My grandpa built what he called a playground for the grandkids in the backyard but in reality I’m sure it was a controlled scientific test of Darwin’s theory of survival of the fittest. He had a few different types of swings set up but all of them were hanging from very tall tree branches so that with the application of considerable force, the amplitude and period of the swing were very high. This usually involved someone not paying attention and walking through the arc of the pendulum and getting forcibly launched across the yard. The most dangerous of all the swings was the dreaded but irresistible barrel swing (sort of like this one)
FF64F319-35C4-4472-B359-21AED667D147.jpeg

…although the one pictured was obviously made for babies as grandpa’s design consisted of two 55 gallon steel drums welded end to end. Properly piloted, it was an excellent battering ram though it was usually a cousin that was on the receiving end.

Another form of amusement we discovered was a giant seesaw back by the other farm equipment. It looked something like this…
FB03A0F4-4450-43AA-9A14-DAE41701BCC7.jpeg

The game was to gather 4 to 8 cousins standing on the bed of the apparatus and one by one venture up the ramp until the end lifted and the seesaw action starts. With careful spacing of children and great amounts of teamwork, we could actually balance the thing horizontally…until some jack wagon would jump off and convert our 8 kid seesaw into a 4 kid catapult.

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
Platinum Supporter
Water Wiggle. You attached it to a hose and turned on the faucet and it would shoot all over the place and end up hitting you in the head or groin with its metal nozzle, that was under a thin piece of soft plastic. And of course, Lawn Darts.

I was watching wham-O commercials the other day and in the one for the water wiggle it actually wraps itself around one of the girls necks a couple times

My father and I were just talking about dangerous toys the other day, he said my uncles in the 60’s had toy machine guns that shot out plastic bullets

tubedude

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
A straight tree about 6 to 8 inch diameter. 4 kids shimmy up until it bends over. The 3 lower kids drop off and the last kid becomes an astronaut.
I decided one time I was too high to fly "safely", so I tried to hang on and ride it out. The first recoil beat me so hard I gladly let go. Then i starfished through the sky to a spectacularly bad return to earth. Ahh, good times.

Last edited:

wacolo

Tele-Afflicted
How 'bout some clackers?

4ccb09ca487c52494672d4453ce8c9a1--eye-childhood-toys.jpg

And I remember shooting my brother in the eye with a little plastic disc from one of these:

180761523879-4ed5b9ace3f10.jpg

I had both of those.

There was a martial arts/ninja craze early in the 80's where I lived. I can remember some kid bringing some throwing stars to school. I thought they were just toys until I watched him in the gym flinging them across the court and sticking them into the bleachers :eek:

EsquireBoy

Friend of Leo's
In the early 80’s I got a vampire figurine which head was phosphorescent... thanks to actual phosphore.
Needless to say I was constantly putting its head into my mouth.

I also had a small ghost with a ball and chain, and to make it more realistic, the ball was actually made of lead.
Guess what? Yep, I liked to suck the ball.

Toys were a lot of fun back then :rolleyes:

lowatter

Tele-Holic
We used to jump of my friend's house onto their trampoline. We decided one day to make a hang glider so we took a bunch of tent poles, duct tape and bed sheets and fab'd one. Took it down to the corner park and tried jumping off the top to the bleachers with it. NOT a great idea.
We used to take M-80s and blow up our car models with them while lying on the ground for best visual effects. We would take coke cans(when they were thick) and duct tape 6 or 8 together after cutting the bottoms out to form a cannon. The bottom one we would leave the bottom in and and using a can opener cut a hole on the side where we would pour lighter fluid in and place a tennis ball down in it. Man that hing would fly far and you wouldn't want it pointed at you.
Please don't get me started...time does not allow.

lowatter

Tele-Holic
Speaking of Red Ryder..."You'll shoot your eye out with that thing kid!".

When I was in 4th or 5th grade I was coming out of the bathroom and my best friend was pointing my Daisy BB gun right at me from my bedroom. He shot and hit me right below my left eye. I covered my eye and bent over and when I came up and uncovered my eye he saw that I was bleeding and he started freaking out. He thought it was just an air rifle that didn't shoot anything but air. I had to tell my mother that I threw it in the closet while it was cocked and it went off and hit my in the face so that we wouldn't get in trouble. ;)