Dangerous toys from our youth.

Alex_C

Tele-Afflicted
226b5b48b37edbb9cc4bfb65b0a03cd9.jpg

These were pretty violent.
They were better with soda vs water.

Buckaroo65

Tele-Holic
The prettiest girl in the neighborhood used to wear Ditto jeans, and super tight. I saw one of the neighbor boys plink her in the butt with his bb gun. Made her hop...

1guy

Tele-Meister
Most of us here are adults, I think. And I'm also sure there are more thana few parents, besides myself.

Of all the crazy things I ever did as a kid, I almost NEVER told my own kids just how crazy we were.... didn't wanna give them my bad ideas.

I wasn't a kid, technically, when I invented this stoner game...I was about 21.

My neighbor and I started playing catch in the parking lot of the apartment building we lived in.

We would place our bottles of beer by our feet as we tossed a baseball back and forth, but that wasn't enough fun.

One time, I rolled a grounder right near his bottle and we found, out that when you're stoned, it was fun to play chicken with your beer bottle.

The point of the game was to try to avoid picking up your bottle and hope the other guy's aim was off.

But if you guessed wrong, usually the ball would knock it over and splash the beer in your face as you bent down to catch the ball or move your bottle.

Stoner games

Blue Bill

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
My left thumb is still sore from playing log toss. We would find a log, 3-4 feet long, maybe 50 pounds, and play catch with it, laughing hysterically. I probably broke something in my thumb, that must be why I can't play guitar like the stars.

Buckaroo65

Tele-Holic
My best friend had a minibike. Once, we had some appliance delivered to our house, and the box was left in the garage. It was just the right size to fit in my red wagon, so we decided to make a car. Box in wagon, cut a hole out for your head, and tie the wagon to the minibike... I was sitting in the wagon, being towed pretty fast behind the minibike, having a good old time until the first curve. Luckily, i just slid along on my side with my face a couple of inches off the asphalt until I came to a stop.

Engine Swap

Friend of Leo's
Using the previously mentioned BB guns, we were able to “amplify” the fun by shooting the primer of a 12-gauge shotgun shell stuck in a tree fork.

Nightclub Dwight

Friend of Leo's
For those that grew up a few hours from Action Park in NJ:

View attachment 925642

View attachment 925643

View attachment 925644

They sold beer.

I remember going to Action Park when I was about 12 years old. Sure, me and my amigos ran wild around that place, but I remember on more than a few of the "rides" wondering how the adults allowed these things. When the 12 year old kid is the voice of reason thinking that the attraction is too dangerous, there is a real problem and breakdown of society's norms. I do believe Action Park was shut down soon after that.

Nightclub Dwight

Friend of Leo's
A friend told me that he used to have a realistic gun that dispensed Pez candy out the front. When I visited the Pez factory a few years ago they had one in the visitors center. This was a very short-lived project for obvious reasons.

2205428d17c1efb083faee462818033b.jpg

Cpb2020

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I remember going to Action Park when I was about 12 years old. Sure, me and my amigos ran wild around that place, but I remember on more than a few of the "rides" wondering how the adults allowed these things. When the 12 year old kid is the voice of reason thinking that the attraction is too dangerous, there is a real problem and breakdown of society's norms. I do believe Action Park was shut down soon after that.

Apparently 6 people died there in a 7 year period. The place was out of control and I agree with you - self preservation kicked in following some of the rides.

Blue Bill

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
My parents wouldn't get me one, but my neighbor, Coombs, had two. Helmets? Pffft. Many long hours of fun. It ended when Coombs drove one of them, at full speed, off the end of a dock into Lake Mooselookmaguntic.

gpw5150

Tele-Meister
chuckling away reading this!

Some of the highlights:

stealing live ammunition, placing it into a small cup of petrol, lighting the petrol and running as fast as you can.

dipping fingers into a ‘chicken chaser’ fuel tank and lighting….

riding a ‘chicken chaser’ over fields (honda express moped or suchlike)

building anything with ‘jetex’;
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jetex
Basically a kids version of solid fuel explosive, designed to power model kits - but can also be used to destroy small tree’s

How the hell am I still alive?!

MarkieMark

Friend of Leo's
As a young parent I took my early teen step-sons for a day of rollercoasters and waterpark fun at a major east coast destination.
Still young enough for adventure, I decided to try out the biggest, baddest looking slide in the waterpark.
Stairs went up and up and up....
It had to be a 60 ft. drop, at an angle that provided a zero-gravity free fall of fear.
Once was enough. Scared the crap out of me. No sides, no nothing, just falling at full speed. No sense of the slide, just falling...
(That specific slide was gone shortly after for some reason...)
I also quickly learned that after 30, the inner ear doesnt really tolerate roller coasters like when you were younger either.

Sitting on a park bench...

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I don't even know what it was called but I had the 2-piece wooden
Big notched or grooved ROLLER you placed under a 'skateboard' ( no wheels) with a 2" wide piece of wood along the bottom of the base, that 'fit' the groove of the roller...

You basically surfed with these two pieces- balance yourself on the board- rolling back and forth- deadly, till you mastered.

I did this in my basement concrete floor as a kid and wiped out 1000 times, but I loved it!

Doctor of Teleocity
Time and imagination, that’s all we really need.

Harry Styron

Friend of Leo's
Summer of 1957. I was not quite five, driving this go-kart that my dad made, using baby bed rails for the frame, baby buggy wheels on front and a roto-tiller motor. Dad’s in the background holding the starter rope.

upload_2021-12-5_20-16-39.jpeg