Dangerous knuckleheads drivers in your locale are usually driving what ?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Mike Eskimo, Oct 18, 2021.

1. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

“High” doesn’t refer to elevation. This is fun, though. If you are visiting my town and need to turn left I will slow down or even stop so you have a chance to safely do so. If you are walking across the street my car won’t move until you are out of the travel lanes. If you are in the fast lane on the highway going the post limit or below I will pass you. I won’t give it a moment of thought and there will be no malice or any aggressive actions. Just the business of going from place to place.
    My issue is that many inattentive drivers take personal objection to being passed. Surface street slow. Expressway fast.

Blackmore Fan likes this.
  2. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

Pickup trucks.

3. Killing Floor

Same. It’s not an issue of safety or the safety of others. There is a difference between reckless and simply trying to get on with one’s day. And to be clear, Pass me if you want. Some people get bent out of shape about that. I don’t care about how fast someone else goes as long as it doesn’t endanger me. I accept the risk of other drivers and road conditions when I start my car.
    But driving slower than conditions is at least as dangerous as too fast.

I have a very curvy road along a creek near my home. It’s a joy to drive but every week someone rolls off into the creek. You can blame the road, you can straighten the road for tens of millions of dollars, you can have the hard conversation with grandpa that maybe the shortcut is a bad idea.
    When I was a kid my grandmother had a near collision with a pedestrian. When she stopped shaking she composed herself, drive to the police station, handed her license to the desk officer and called me for a ride home. That was the last time she drove. I think that’s courageous. Accidents are generally blamed on teenage boys or the weather or someone driving 36 in a 35 zone. But really accidents are because anyone can get a license and unless there is a compelling legal reason, they don’t ever need to test again. So nobody loses or surrenders their driving no matter how bad their vision or focus gets.
    Don’t believe me? I’ve driven 130 on I25 south of Pueblo. And I got passed doing it. And the last driving test I took was my 16th birthday in the 80s. And the last DMV vision test I took was in 2003 when I moved here. So if you can’t catch or correct me, can’t correct anyone else. So…
    Here I come.

drlucky and Whatizitman like this.
  4. Boxla

Boxla Tele-Holic

Knucklehead drivers come in all shapes, sizes and brands. But I have just completed a 20 year study and the worst, most clueless and absent minded drivers are behind the wheel of a Subaru. I don't know what it is about that brand but, no matter if it's a male or female driving it, they will be a bad driver 9 out of 10 times. It's the highest of any brand.

5. Happy Enchilada

Happy Enchilada Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

It's quite a list:

• Little white cars
    • Minivans
    • Dodge pickups
    • Audis
    • Porsches
    • Corvettes
    • Mini Coopers
    • Dodge muscle cars (300s, Chargers, Challengers, etc.)
    • Recumbent bicycles
    • Little silver cars
    • Escalades

But mostly Little White Cars (LWCs).

6. Killing Floor

That went dark. Let’s talk about pedals.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  7. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

When we're out walking, there is a really upscale neighborhood across from ours. From out of there come cars I am not familiar with, foreign made automobiles that will RUN! It's about a quarter mile from the exit of their compound out to the next main intersection where there is a signal light. The latest game seems to be to try and time it so that the light turns red just as they've achieved MAXIMUM acceleration, and speeding THROUGH the intersection. One night, we are going to have a truly spectacular collision at that intersection.

8. Killing Floor

I’m sure you already know this.
    If you make eye contact with a recumbent bicycle rider you’ll turn into a pillar of salt. Science.

9. Old Smokey

Old Smokey Tele-Meister

[Normal car driving 25 ft. behind me] Ho-hum. Wonder what's on the radio.
    [Giant black pickup truck driving 25 ft. behind me] Jesus Chr*st, why is this guy being so aggressive?

Just sayin' :p

Anyway, in my experience the aggressive and lead-footed drivers aren't necessarily the most dangerous. If I'm in the right lane and some guy goes flying by in the left lane, I may tense up for a second, but I'm probably not in any real danger. The most dangerous drivers are the ones who are not paying any attention, never learned how to follow the rules of the road, or are inebriated, overly fatigued, garden-variety morons, etc. Those are the ones you really have to watch out for.

10. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Poster Extraordinaire

Real percentages? Or overrepresentation? In some areas Subarus are extremely popular.

Oh yeah. Overrepresentation. Google that one, Mr. Science McSciencey Guy. Nyah.

11. Drak

Drak Tele-Afflicted

drlucky likes this.
  12. Toto'sDad

You must be talking about this guy.

[​IMG]

Killing Floor likes this.
  13. Happy Enchilada

Saw a Dodge pickup the other day with a sticker on the back window:

I'D RATHER BE CHOKING YOU OUT.

I'm not normally an advocate of drive-by shootings, but ...

jman72, Greggorios and Toto'sDad like this.
  14. Whatizitman

I've sometimes wondered that. The big jacked up freedom trucks can look very menacing in the rear view mirror. Even from far off. I'm sure that's part of their appeal. But in very real terms, trucks in the last few years have particularly menacing looking grills, by design. Bigger and more menacing every year, it seems. Check out the new Tundra. It looks like a giant Lego Monster!

[​IMG]

Right. I'm more concerned about drivers who weave in and out, and use the far right lanes to "win" and get in front of the folks in the passing lane who, heaven forbid, aren't moving over for them immediately. And while doing so, cut off or box in the 18-wheeler trying to keep from running over some other innocent driver just trying to get on the freeway.

studio1087 and drlucky like this.
  15. Happy Enchilada

We could do an entire thread on:

TURN SIGNALS - THEY'RE MORE THAN JUST A GOOD IDEA

16. Toto'sDad

About a year ago, my wife and I were stopped a signal light, a dodge diesel with a smoke out kit (I'm 100% sure) was turning left, they came to a stop, and an old man, and old lady in a Camry had to stop behind him, which made them a perfect target, he got on the brakes, and completely covered them in smoke. If a giant boot had come out of the sky, and stomped that Dodge into oblivion, I would have just said, you know, he had it comin'.

jman72, Moriarty and Happy Enchilada like this.
  17. Whatizitman

Another statistical problem.

Do people just not use turn signals because they're morons? Are we only seeing them because they are also doing moronic moves, of which possible consequences could at least be mitigated somewhat by using signals? Do we not see the non-morons not using signals on non-moronic moves? Is it even possible for a non-moron to do a moron thing like not using a signal? Hmmm.

Greggorios and Happy Enchilada like this.
  18. 7171551

7171551 Tele-Afflicted

Used to be BMW... Now it's Audi.

(and cyclists... Put on a glans-shaped helmet and you're safe are you?)

19. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

I passed about a dozen of those between Wallace and CDA yesterday, and probably at least as many $75,000 pickups hauling $30.000 side by sides. Hunting season is around the corner.

ce24 likes this.
  20. drlucky

drlucky Tele-Holic

Around here (Central CA) it's jacked up 4x4 F250-350's, Dodge Rams. If I had a nickel for every time I was on the four lane section of Highway 99, going 10mph over the limit, getting ready to pass a semi going 55 in the right lane when one of these dipsticks got up right on my rear bumper and flashed their lights, I'd be sitting in a hot tub in Tahiti, surrounded by beautiful women. Sorry, I'm NOT going to dart behind a semi that's going almost 30mph slower and slam on my brakes, risk losing control of my car so some doofus can save 10 seconds.

I would imagine someone somewhere must've done a study on whether or not there is a correlation between aggressive looking vehicles and aggressive driving...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.