Dangerous knuckleheads drivers in your locale are usually driving what ?

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
We love you regardless, but for the matter of safety I do my best to be mindful of cognitive biases and make data driven decisions. The who's behind the wheel influences some outcomes but the accidents with someone not at fault help support knowing what a safe vehicle is. The family member we lost was in Ford pickup. He was pretty much squished and splattered. My niece in a top safety pick Subaru was in a similar accident not her fault. She walked away but did have a spinal injury. Her head and limbs were not mangled in same way.

That niece does the courtroom defense for one of the US major insurer's more complicated cases usually involving a death or permanent disability. Very often accidents that involve trucks. In that she sees a correlation between the IIHS top rated vehicles and outcomes where you live or can still move without a wheelchair.

I'm sticking with late model top safety picks even if having to identify and retrieve the body of a family member created some bias.

It all sucked enough - the family member's death, the getting body home, the retrieving belongings, going through the impounded vehicle, the permanence - that I encourage drive safely and drive safe vehicles.

I know you mean well, but I have as a practical matter seen large vehicles absolutely cream well engineered vehicles, completely destroying them, and the person, or person's inside them. You are free to do as you wish. I don't even have a pickup truck now, but if I planned on doing very much driving, I'd go get a new Chevy truck, or Tahoe to do it in. The further I am from the wreck, and the more stuff between me and it, the better I feel about the whole thing. Mass usually wins. Watch a train hit a car sometime. (I have)

tfarny

Poster Extraordinaire
It's more the New Jersey plates than any kind of car that predicts a reckless driver around here, but if I had to pick, it would be Audi A4s. No idea why, I've always thought of it as a lawyer's car.

papa32203

Tele-Afflicted
Since I live in Arizona- in the heart of retirement land, and in the dusty desert- it is Buicks and huge, lifted trucks of all kinds. By far. DWE/O (elderly/old) and truckjerks.....

RollingBender

Tele-Afflicted
Vendor Member
I’ve never understood the desire for loud exhaust. Believe you me… when I was in my late teens and early twenties, I drove like I had a death wish and nearly succeeded a few times. But to add one more thing to attract attention to yourself when you are doing things that you don’t want certain people to see you doing always seemed like a dumb idea.

I got away with a lot of stunt driving whereas my friends with loud exhaust got caught because my cars were quiet. You don’t want to attract attention to yourself when you are showing off. :)

Old Deaf Roadie

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
"Compensation trucks", the kind where the guy is trying to compensate for his, well, you know what with a massive lift kit, conspiracy theory decals in the rear window, and bearing out of state plates. Just. Stay. Home. Somebody will be out to tow you off the beach in a while, hopefully before the tide comes in, because you can't drive your pet truck worth a hoot.

Fiesta Red

Poster Extraordinaire
Strangely, it’s guys in big 4x4 trucks or women in cars with some sort of religious bumper sticker.

As for the latter, I guess they have appointed themselves as some sort of avenging angel and sending people to the next realm.

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
14 pages in has me thinking more about "locale".

-By one of my work locations often times it is the 90+ year old driving their traditional US luxury car driving away from the grocery store with a back door and/or the trunk still open.
-Our old neighborhood the dangerous knuckleheads behind the wheel shifted from the elderly or teens to sometimes challenged people in a deteriorating neighborhood and gang activity.
-My current neighborhood it's usually a full-sized GM SUV or BMW if not one of the pickups @Old Deaf Roadie labled well as "compensation".
-For the region it's usually the person playing SuperTrucker in a poseur pickup, full-sized SUV or performance car. The latter seem to be a lot of the V8 Stellantis/Dodge and BMW.

One category of misbehaving driver I'm surprised doesn't get shot or in more trouble is the fake blonde hair women in Escalades or Suburbans. Quite a few or very aggressive and hot tempered until I see them trying to park when the grocery stores are crowded.

Our local news has been covering the growing problems with pedestrian and bike deaths and road rage incidents that have turned violent. In our upper Midwest area they are both growing problems.

57joonya

Tele-Holic
Seems like a LOT of that around. Driving the piss out of a behemoth someone else maintains. Hard stops, race off the light, etc.

I'm a mild hyper-miler myself, so I notice all that stuff.
I admire someone who makes these observations- because this is my wife . And I’ve put two sets of brakes on her new car already . Haven’t even put one on much heavier work truck that I drive. I just wish she wouldn’t speed up to a stop sign? I love her but come-on.

carpenter

Tele-Afflicted
Strange 20 years ago I was stopped at a light in my 4wd GMC high sierra. With my foot still on the brake
I was rear ended by a Subaru. The impact pushed me 30 ft. You may ask how do I know this the police
measured. They estimated he was doing 80 mph. The 30 foot was my front brake skid from me having my foot on brake being pushed. He had no skid, hit me full speed. And the skull on diesel trucks is DP products Utah. Diesel Brothers tv show.

acoustic rob

Tele-Holic
Anything.

Jacked-up pickup trucks. Japanese imports with mufflers that go BRAAAAAP. German luxury sports sedans. 20 year old beat up Oldsmobiles. "Must be drive like an idiot day," I say, as I swerve to avoid some jackhole who thinks stop signs are only a suggestion. "Of course, every day is drive like an idiot day...."

Billy3

Tele-Holic
Regardless of the vehicle, I find that most knucklehead drivers got a damn phone in their hands while they're driving. Keep your eyes on the road and simultaneously watch out for the other ones.

DekeDog

Tele-Afflicted
In my area, the worst drivers in towns are usually driving old, dirty, inexpensive wrecks. On the highway, the worst drivers (and I hate to say it) are driving semis. I remember the days when 18-wheeler drivers were the best, most experienced, courteous, and friendliest drivers on the road. But no more.

Burn Yesterday

Tele-Meister
Any Jeep styled in the "old" style- usually huge tires and ^%$% for brains.

Imagine the mentality of someone who wants his Jeep to look like this. He is definitely a person who should be removed from society.

Microdick_Special.jpg

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
H8 away, MOPAR H8ers!

My daily drivers are a 2004 Toyota Taco truck and a 2017 Dodge Brothers Challenger.

It's a great car. And I try hard to be nice with it.

Just because you have Nuclear Deterent Capability does not mean ya gotta use it every day.

2017-Dodge-Challenger-Interceptor-3.jpg

The cool thing about the DODGE badge is it serves as a handy warning to pedestrians :cool:

I KEED! I KEED!