Dangerous knuckleheads drivers in your locale are usually driving what ?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Mike Eskimo, Oct 18, 2021.

1. ieatlions

ieatlions Tele-Afflicted

Germans!.. cars that is.

2. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I'm amazed at how many people said pickup trucks (big ones). I'm also amazed at how many huge trucks I see locally that are black, polished, waxed......they look like they have never been off road, on far,, to a construction site or on a hunting trip ever. Usually when I'm being tailgated by a Ford F-350, the truck shines more than my mom's Audi A6.

I think that guys buy those trucks to speed and tailgate but mainly for the sole purpose of going to the mall within city limits to buy boots that never see dirt.

3. flathd

flathd Poster Extraordinaire

Anything with a fart cannon or spoiler.

4. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Is there some sort of control they can put on the exhaust to modify the sound? There is a Mustang that we see when we are out walking that's all decked out with Mustang stuff. Sometimes it's REALLY loud going by, and sometimes it's MERELY loud.

5. Toto'sDad

If I put a fart cannon on my CRv, will people think I'm Vin Diesel?

flathd likes this.
  6. Dennyf

Dennyf Tele-Afflicted

Here too. And to the OP's point, they're RAM truck 3 to one. And a fair percentage are diesel "coal-rollers."

schmee likes this.
  7. flathd

flathd Poster Extraordinaire

Only if its at least 4" in diameter and wakes up your neighbors.

8. cenz

cenz Tele-Meister

Chargers. They are cop cars. Even the SE model is a cop car. Major change is a Charger Pursuit has a column shifter, better suspension, brakes and cooling systems as well as the wiring for all the cop stuff. But some county sheriffs use the standard SE model with a column shifter and the wiring package.

Some have 18 inch steel wheels but Indiana State Police cruisers have the 17 inch alloy SE wheels. Again some local sheriff departments use the standard 17 inch SE alloy wheels.

A 300 hp/300 ft lbs torque V6 motor that averages 24 mpg with a est 140 top end makes people knuckleheads.

Ask me how I know.

drlucky likes this.
  9. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I'm just seeing this, and I'll admit right now that I'm not inclined to read through 12 pages of posts. So I don't know if KDs ("knucklehead drivers") has already been defined.

KD = loud & obnoxious with a special inclination towards dangerous driving?

KD = selfish & self-centered, causing inconvenience to all other traffic around them?

(Granted, there can be a definite overlap of definitions for those two categories.)

Either way, we've got 'em here in Corpus Christi, too. I've never been a car guy, so my first thought has never been, "Is there a common vehicle type or make & model associated with this driving behavior?" I generally just call 'em CCDs, i.e., "Corpus Crappy Drivers." I also say that their name is "Legion, for they are many." (That demon analogy is also apropos, IMHO.)

Anyway, there are far too many of them to identify specific make and model, or even general vehicle type, really.

Chester P Squier likes this.
  10. dkmw

dkmw Poster Extraordinaire

Short answer, yes. There are valves and/or bypasses that can be controlled, usually through a drive mode selection.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  11. Toto'sDad

I knew there had to be something going on there, same car different sound, sometimes within 15 minutes!

dkmw likes this.
  12. Fuelish

Fuelish Tele-Afflicted

foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, east TN
    'Round here, full sized pickemup trucks, I pay little attention to brands ......but they seem to "pride" themselves with, after 2 or 3 attempts, at backing into a parking space.....such a waste of time......that must be the one thing they they "taught" in driver's ed down here in east TN..... I cringe in parking lots anymore

NoTeleBob likes this.
  13. imwjl

imwjl Doctor of Teleocity

A whole lot of people are not realizing how goofy they look playing SuperTrucker or exposing issues with self-esteem. Having grown up with a farm, scrap yards, and having to drive pickups and real trucks, I'd rather drive your mom's car.

14. Toto'sDad

I don't have one, but if I had my druthers, and I had to be involved in a wreck where a Ram Diesel, and BMW were the participants, I'd rather be in the Ram. I'm not particularly enamored of what statistics say would be the outcome, because I've seen what it is right near my house!

15. drlucky

drlucky Tele-Holic

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Here's a REAL truck, IMHO: 1975 F-100 my Dad bought brand new, on the day it went off to the glue factory, 2013. My Dad kept it well serviced mechanically, but was of the opinion that "it's a truck, you're not supposed to baby it!" That truck went places those fancy new lifted 4x4 trucks would be scared s**tless to go. I learned to drive in that truck, went on dates in that truck, hauled band gear in that truck, rode all the way down and back to Magic Mountain (4 hours each way) in the bed of that truck.

Miss that truck...and especially the ol' pirate standing next to it...:(

16. Nubs

Nubs Friend of Leo's

I don't tailgate and don't drive to put people's lives at risk. PERIOD. Sure, I have gone over the speed limit at times, but safety for myself and others is ALWAYS first on my mind.

All of the car guys I know just want to mess around with their cars. They want to see how fast they can go, they want to race others, they want the action and adrenaline rush. And, most importantly, they don't want to hurt anyone. So what are the options to do this instead of public streets?

The most common answer is to go to a track and race. Much easier said than done. We are lucky enough to have a track about 15 minutes from our town, but the membership fee to join is between $3 - 5k annually. Plus, it's only a road track with twists and turns. They don't have a dragstrip which is what most car people want. In any event, most people don't even have a track close by, so this option is not really realistic.

The other option is to advocate for the city to build a place for car people to go which keeps them off public streets. I believe this would be the most feasible (albeit far fetched) option and it would be mutually beneficial to car people, the public, and the police. However, it would take extensive time and money to do this even if you happen to convince your city to build one.

So as you can see, car guys are pretty limited in where they can go to get their fix. If I wanted to get my speed on, I'd go to empty back roads and play around. But it's still a public road which carries all of the inherit risks to street racing.

Understand where these people are coming from before you demonize them. Instead of just throwing out a blanket, dismissive statement like "take it to the track", understand what that really means. If you have a better, more realistic suggestion on where car people can go, I'm all ears (eyes).

David Barnett likes this.
  17. imwjl

imwjl Doctor of Teleocity

We love you regardless, but for the matter of safety I do my best to be mindful of cognitive biases and make data driven decisions. The who's behind the wheel influences some outcomes but the accidents with someone not at fault help support knowing what a safe vehicle is. The family member we lost was in Ford pickup. He was pretty much squished and splattered. My niece in a top safety pick Subaru was in a similar accident not her fault. She walked away but did have a spinal injury. Her head and limbs were not mangled in same way.

That niece does the courtroom defense for one of the US major insurer's more complicated cases usually involving a death or permanent disability. Very often accidents that involve trucks. In that she sees a correlation between the IIHS top rated vehicles and outcomes where you live or can still move without a wheelchair.

I'm sticking with late model top safety picks even if having to identify and retrieve the body of a family member created some bias.

It all sucked enough - the family member's death, the getting body home, the retrieving belongings, going through the impounded vehicle, the permanence - that I encourage drive safely and drive safe vehicles.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
    Whatizitman, Toto'sDad and drlucky like this.
  18. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

Dangerous knuckleheads drivers in your locale are usually driving what ?

too slowly.....

unless they are right behind me, and then they are driving like madmen....

Toto'sDad likes this.
  19. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I love everyone,
    Especially the nice folks that drive behind me, 2" from my bumper.
    I guess they are just being social.

Lollipops and rainbows

NoTeleBob, Toto'sDad and imwjl like this.
  20. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

My car is so safe, I don't have to pay attention!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.