1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Danelectro U2 Reissue Issue

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by jrintheemaking, Nov 10, 2020.

1. jrintheemaking

jrintheemaking TDPRI Member

I recently picked up a Dano U2 Korean reissue. Sounds and plays great although I am having an issue with it.
    The volume and tone work for both pickups. There seems to be an issue with selecting the different pickup positions though.
    For example, in the neck position you can hear the neck pickup and nothing else, as you should. In the middle position, you can hear both the neck pickup and the middle pickup, as you should. However, as you go from the middle to the bridge position, there is no "clicking over." Basically, there is no difference between the middle and bridge position. You should only be hearing the bridge pickup in the bridge position but you hear both the middle and bridge pickups. The goal is to correct this and hear just the bridge pickup in the bridge position, not both pickups.
    Does that sound like a solder joint, a faulty pickup switch joint, or something else?
    Thanks so much.

Attached Files:

DonM and Chiogtr4x like this.
  2. Warren Pederson

Warren Pederson Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Doesn’t the U2 have a push pull?

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  3. jrintheemaking

Hi. I’m not sure about other U2s, but this one has a 3 position selector switch, and two ‘complete’ knobs. Both pickups have a volume and tone, but it is combined into a stacked knob made up of two separate mini knobs. The volume makes up the bottom of the knob and the tone is on top of the volume. If you look at the pic I posted, it will make more sense.

4. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

Not mine
    It has a 3-wsy toggle for pickups
    And concentric Vol/Tone knobs for each pickups

- I've had mine since '97 and I just spray DeOxit into the toggle switch ( from the top to make better contact, and just work the switch in all positions repeatedly
    Great guitar- full of tone Clean or dirty and so comfy!
    20200505_183343.jpg

DonM, posttoastie and jrintheemaking like this.
  5. jrintheemaking

My model is the same as yours.
    I’ve tried the Deoxit on both the selector and the pots. It actually helped with the neck position. It wasn’t working either but now it does. But the bridge position still isn’t working properly after a couple rounds of DeOxit...

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  6. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

Now that I think of it I do have the same kind of issue when I pick Dano up when it hasn't been played in a while,

So just working the switch vigorously usually takes care of it- better contact on all 3 positions- it may just be a crappy ( not heavy-duty) switch?

jrintheemaking likes this.
  7. Flip G

Flip G Tele-Meister

8. jrintheemaking

I’ve only had it a week or so. But from what I know about a lot of the reissues (because they are period correct) is a sinking/sagging bridge. Mine does have a bit of sag, but there are no playability issues.

Flip G likes this.
  9. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

No -
    ... but it does have
    Rattle & Hum . . .
    ;)

10. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's

I’ve had this one since ‘98. Had a Yellow DC and stupidly sold it.

8F72D08D-A3EB-412B-8113-23EBCD22D6D9.jpeg

jrintheemaking likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.