Danelectro Tremolos - Which is which?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by RCinMempho, Apr 25, 2018.

1. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

Are the filthy rich pedals still housed in plastic?

2. Mr Mxyzptlk

Mr Mxyzptlk Tele-Meister

I have the C.E.O. tremolo, which is Guitar Center's "exclusive" version of the Filthy Rich tremolo. The casing seems to be metal, not plastic, with some sort of thick enamel-like finish. I also own two other pedals in the Billionaire series (although I intend to sell one or two of them), and they share the same characteristics.

3fngrs likes this.
  3. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

Thank you. I've been looking for a tremolo and I'm considering this one. I have an old fish 'n chops eq that's held up for at least 15 years but I don't like the plastic case.

4. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

Since my earlier post, I have tried the Money Laundry and Big Spender pedals a couple of times (both are Leslie simulators, and after trying them out, I believe they're the same pedal), as well as the Filthy Rich Tremolo pedal.
    While I was at it, I also put hands (feet?) to the Texas Trouble and Cash Cow overdrives, and the Billion Dollar Boost.

Here's my impressions:
    Big fat NO to the Money Laundry and the Big Spender. It's a weirdly-toned chorus pedal, and that's all. Fastest speeds sounded terrible. Slower speeds sounded like a chorus with an odd little wobble. There was a little sweet spot about 10% less than full-speed which was OK, but nothing more and nothing impressive.
    I had tried it before with similar results but gave it another chance before rejecting it.

Billion Dollar Boost.
    It is a very transparent boost; doesn't seem to add any extra gain at all--just volume. The little "Bass Cut" toggle was a nice addition, for a "cut through the mix" volume boost.
    If I needed such a beastie, I'd definitely consider this one.

Texas Trouble overdrive.
    Nice overdrive...a little boxy with the neck pickup of a '72-reissue Telecaster Custom (faux WRHB), but still usable. It's a take-off of a take-off of a Tube Screamer...tonally, it seems to be trying to be "SRV in a Box", and doesn't fail entirely. If I had the need for such an overdrive, I'd consider it.
    I like the name...

Cash Cow distortion.
    This one interested me...
    **DIGRESSION ALERT**
    For the longest time, I've noticed that distortion pedals don't work for me when I'm playing single-coil-loaded guitars (IME, YMMV, JMHO, don't judge me, it's just the way it works for me, don't get hung up on it and just "go with it). For the greater part of my life, I've played mostly single-coil-loaded guitars (the main/only exception is my 1980 G&L F-100, but it's got those weird MFD coil-tapped/phase-tapped humbuckers, so that doesn't count), so therefore, I've not allowed a distortion pedal to take up permanent residence on my Big Ol' Board of Sonic Bliss.
    However, I've recently (in spite of myself) picked up two guitars with humbuckers...an Hecho-en-Mexico Fender '72-reissue Telecaster Deluxe and an Hecho-en-God-Knows-Where Dean VX. So a distortion pedal has been on my mind a little more recently.
    **DIGRESSION HAS ENDED**
    I like this pedal...using the neck pickup of a '72-reissue Telecaster Custom it sounded heavy, punchy and growly, but still retained some articulation when playing a chord. Sounded cool with my normal Texas Roadhouse stylings, but lent itself towards late 70's/early 80's hard-edged classic rock, veering into metal with the right hands on the axe.
    This is on the lower end of the G.A.S. List, under the subheading "Pedals I Don't Need But Will Keep On A Lookout For"

Filthy Rich Tremolo
    Very cool and usable all the way around. I liked the "Hard" setting (made the signal go to more of a square wave, clipped sound--more helicopter-y) more, but the "Soft" setting was good, too. Took some tweaking, but not difficult at all to get a good sound. I have one amp without tremolo, and this might end up earning a place on the roster for that particular amp.

Wyzsard and challuch like this.
  5. theBedroomRocker

theBedroomRocker TDPRI Member

I am quite happy with my filthy rich tremolo. I never tried the older dano tremolos so I cannot really compare, but the filthy rich does a decent job and is quite versatile with the square-wave option.

Here is my review on it with some sound samples:

6. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Afflicted

So which of the new ones is closest to the Tuna Melt?

7. Fearnot

Fearnot Poster Extraordinaire

The... umm... Tremolo? Just my guess, though.

I got a Money Laundry (Big Spender) Leslie pedal on clearance at GC for $40. Very pleased all-round with that. And if you read the manual, there's a secret trick to adjusting the Depth to tweak its wobblie-ness to taste.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  8. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

I'm a Tremolo lover that has the Cool Cat but reading about the Tuna Melt on this thread has got me wondering if I'm missing out on a little better trem. I'll keep my eye out for a cheap used one to try out. Platefire

9. Bitsleftover

Bitsleftover Tele-Holic

I modded and rehoused the cool cat tremolo and the uni-vibe clone (can’t remember it’s dano name. Both sound great and take a regular beating.
    A real pain to do and exactly as you describe it.
    A fun project, if a project is what you’re after. But not simply a case of dropping it in a metal box. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. 65 Champ Amp

65 Champ Amp Tele-Afflicted

@Bitsleftover~ You did one heck of a job!!!
    Uni Vibe clone - I think that’s the Chicken Salad vibrato, right?

11. Bitsleftover

Bitsleftover Tele-Holic

Thank you. It started out as a “Cool Cat Vibe” The minty green coloured one.
    It’s a long time ago, but I think I fitted a true bypass switch and did the unity mod and the mod that gets rid of the delayed start up. That little rocker switch at the bottom sort of ‘pre-arms’ it by powering the light bulb awaiting foot switch activation. It means it’s not armed and burning out the lightbulb whenever my pedalboard is powered up. It was a real success. I still love that pedal even though I rarely use it.
    Modded it’s a great unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

65 Champ Amp likes this.
  12. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

Zombie thread, I know, but have you done a build thread on rehousing your Cool Cat. I'd be interested in being walked through what you did.

13. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

So, that's the one I have... forgot the name, haven't seen it since last March. Good Tremolo.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.