Danelectro style Tele Build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by sjohnbruton, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Bentley

Bentley Friend of Leo's

Could you make an acoustic out of masonite? "The long fibers give Masonite a high bending strength, tensile strength, density and stability" :eek: And since they don't use glue, would that mean it would be fine to use, say a hand plane on it, and it wouldn't dull your blade?

2. kwerk

kwerk Poster Extraordinaire

3. sjohnbruton

sjohnbruton Tele-Holic

Thanks. It's cheap and easy to work with. :D A win-win in my book!

True, but it works.

This stock came from HD.

Yes, but let's just say it's not an "optimal" acoustic material.

As for not dulling your hand plane blade, I don't know. I don't have a hand plane to try it on. I will say, hardboard is super easy to cut and shape with power tools. :D

Yup. I'm not sure how good they sound unplugged, but Danos sound great plugged-in!

4. sjohnbruton

sjohnbruton Tele-Holic

Cool. Thanks for the insight.

Why only three coats? :confused:

5. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

Regular, thick, painted on coats will tend to "shingle", and layer, becoming cloudy and fragile. If you are going the French polish route, I would recommend you do it from the start. The point being to add multiple, flexible, VERYYYY thin coats.
    If used as a primer like I do, then three's my limit. It's not like any other primer is any thicker. If it's a non-porous wood like pine, I like to keep it down to two coats, as a primer & tint. Sorry for running on :lol:

6. tuuur

tuuur Friend of Leo's

You almost make me to start building again! Looking good so far!

7. sjohnbruton

sjohnbruton Tele-Holic

Thanks and no worries about running on. That's what this place is for right? ;)

8. sjohnbruton

sjohnbruton Tele-Holic

Thanks. I'm sure I speak for everyone here when I say, "Just Do It." Start building again! :lol:

9. sjohnbruton

sjohnbruton Tele-Holic

A few questions:

1. Anybody got a recommendation on a Harbor Freight spray gun? I need a good (and inexpensive) new tool! :D

2. Anybody here have any experience spraying hardboard? Any tips, pitfalls, etc?

3. Anyone got a clue about how Dano painted their original DC or U series? I can't seem to find much.

I know some of the reissue Danos I've seen are a semi matte finish while the vintage ones had a variety of finishes. Some were gloss, some a sort-of orange peel type effect (I don't know if those finishes were original).

Any help here would be great. I'm planning on spraying a base coat (of some variety), a color coat, and a clear coat, but I would like to know anyway.

Thanks. :cool:

10. sjohnbruton

sjohnbruton Tele-Holic

O.k. - project update. (And WAY ahead of my normal once-a-month schedule!!) ;)

I finished hand-shaping the pickguard. Looks really cool. I may have pics up tomorrow...

I'm going to HF to pick up a HVLP spray gun today. :D

I've shifted gears on my neck. Again.

I was originally planning on a fully painted oak neck with a poplar fret board and a non-adjustable aluminum reinforcement bar. After reading an article by Nate Daniels' son Howard, I have decided to go for a multi-piece laminated poplar neck. I'm still stickin' with aluminum instead of steel reinforcement, however.

11. crazydave911

FYI, friend him on Facebook. He's an affable and gracious fellow, and loves to talk about his "pop" ;)

12. TexasTodd

TexasTodd TDPRI Member

Is this build still going? I've had a guitar in my head, and have considered this type of build for a while now. Looks great, I can't wait to see more!

13. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

I was playing my copper Dano 56 RI last night. I have SD lipsticks in it and modified it with a Fender string through bridge. Seymour's lipsticks are incredible pickups. VERY highly recommended. Tone for miles and the string through bridge doesn't hurt either!

Rob

14. sjohnbruton

sjohnbruton Tele-Holic

Short answer is yes, this project is still going. Very, almost painfully, ssssllooooooowwwwllllyyy.

But hope springs eternal, and maybe I will actually make some meaningful progress soon. I have a few minor updates I need to post pics of, so I will do my best. Speaking of " Do Your Best," that's the slogan of the Cub Scouts. My youngest son and I will be making his Pinewood Deby car this weekend. So since the sawdust will be flying anyway, I'm hoping to sneak in a bit of luthiery too. :rolleyes:

15. sjohnbruton

sjohnbruton Tele-Holic

Sounds like a great axe. SD pickups are nice. I've never seen (or heard) their lipsticks, but now I'm curious. Any chance you have a clip of that guitar laying around somewhere out there on the innerwebs? :D

16. sjohnbruton

sjohnbruton Tele-Holic

Update time! I did get some work done while working on my boys Pinewood Derby cars. But first, a peek at the cars:

Here are the "Star Spangled Bullet" and the "Silver Surfer" in progress.
    [​IMG]

And here is my youngest with the first place trophy in the Bear Den.
    [​IMG]

My boy is the one in the middle. The kid on the left was the Pack Champion. My son came in third in the finals.:cool:

17. sjohnbruton

sjohnbruton Tele-Holic

Since last we met.....

I finished hand shaping the pickguard and started the layout on the neck template.
    [​IMG]

Headstock
    [​IMG]

Rough cut template
    [​IMG]

I hand shaped the under curve of the headstock with a sanding block and a lot of elbow grease. I then took my Strat neck template and used it to pattern route the top edge and transition areas.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. sjohnbruton

sjohnbruton Tele-Holic

While working on the body last fall, I decided to drill the holes for the neck screws like this:
    [​IMG]

I then went through some rethinking of the neck construction. I had originally planned on an oak neck because I already had the wood and I felt it would be plenty strong without a truss rod.

I then changed my mind after more research on the original Dano process. It seems Danelectro used multi-piece poplar neck with a two steel reinforcement rods. I bought some poplar with the intention of laminating a neck blank and carrying on. Well, in the interest of progress, I have decided to keep to the original plan and use oak.

I did however rethink the attachment method. I decided to use T-nuts and washers.
    [​IMG]

This would allow two things: first, I wouldn't need a neck plate (Dano's didn't use them) and second, I could radius the entire neck pocket area just like the rest of the body. Doing the full radius, however, made it necessary to relocate the attachment holes at the headstock end of the neck pocket.

So I fiiled the holes with dowels,
    [​IMG]

And cut 'em off flush.
    [​IMG]

19. sjohnbruton

sjohnbruton Tele-Holic

After routing the oak neck blank I had to take the opportunity to lay it out and imagine... :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Up next... The trials and tribulations of neck pocket routing!

20. crazydave911

That looks so cool...................love that oak neck, got one of my own coming soon. Good to see the progress ;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.