Danelectro style Tele Build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by sjohnbruton, Jun 1, 2012.

1. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

Curiouser and curiouser :rolleyes:, did you by chance try them in a different tele bridge?

Can't wait to see the good work ;)

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  2. jimdkc

jimdkc Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Seriously considering doing a Longhorn Bass using this type of construction... I'm in the planning stages, but I have several other projects I really should finish up first!

3. sjohnbruton

sjohnbruton Tele-Holic

Thanks. No, I only have the one bridge right now. Still, all my other tele bridge pickups fit the Stew Mac bridge just fine. So who knows....?

I had sort of resolved myself to switching back to a tele bridge pup and ordering a strat size lipstick for the neck, but the more I thought about it, the more I felt like keeping the lipstick at the bridge. Now I'm thinking about altering the bridge I have to fit the GFS pup.

In the interest of keeping the project moving forward without having to wait on other parts, I'm leaning toward completing the build with what I have on hand. I don't need any more reasons to procrastinate. ;)

4. sjohnbruton

sjohnbruton Tele-Holic

I'd love to see a longhorn...

Go for it! And don't let those pesky "half-finished" projects ruin your focus! :D

5. crazydave911

Here's the link to the free plan posted here on the Depot LINK ;)

6. jimdkc

Yup! Got it! Been poring over it for about a week now! So cool!

7. Bentley

Bentley Friend of Leo's

My mom was having a discussion with some people at the store yesterday. They were saying how a plywood guitar wouldn't sound as good as the "other woods they use". First of all, learn the name, it's tonewood. Second of all, plywood is great! What the people here do with plywood, hardboard, 2x4s, and even pallets is amazing, and they sound great! I just felt like posting so you guys could have a good laugh, and it's somewhat relevant.

On a different note, I want updates!!!

8. sjohnbruton

sjohnbruton Tele-Holic

I want updates, too! Oh wait, it's my thread.... :rolleyes:

I'll get some more pics up this weekend and hopefully make some more sawdust early next week.

Glad to have you watching.

9. Greg M

Greg M Tele-Holic

You know you've got work to do when you can't even show patience to yourself :lol:!!!

I don't want to pressure you but I too am impatiently awaiting updates :cool:.

10. ModlrMike

ModlrMike TDPRI Member

What's your plan for the sides. I can't imagine you'll want to leave the exposed plywood.

11. sjohnbruton

sjohnbruton Tele-Holic

Thanks. More soon... :p

No exposed ply. I bought a few rolls of vinyl shelf liner. Once the paint is on, I'm planning to see which one looks best. Application should be fairly simple. Just cut a long strip to the correct width, spray on adhesive, and stick on. That's the plan anyway. ;) Thanks for your interest.

12. sjohnbruton

sjohnbruton Tele-Holic

Dang I've been away from this thing for too long!!

I'm finally getting some update pics posted and hope to make some progress on Monday (I'm off work for three days!).

Anyway, since our last episode, I finished the templates for my bridge cavity and soundhole.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once they were shaped to my liking, I attached them to my working template and routed the holes for the body cavities.

[​IMG]

Then using that template, I routed the cavities to look like this:

[​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

crazydave911 likes this.
  13. sjohnbruton

sjohnbruton Tele-Holic

On a side note, I made an unforced error to my body template while cutting the cavities on the body.

My only top-bearing pattern bit is 1" long, so I measured the required depth of the cavity, added the thickness of the template and (on the second and final pass) I set the depth accordingly.

The cavity in the body came out just like I wanted, but in the process I managed to burn/ deform my template. Seems the collet nut was protruding from the base of the router just far enough to add a really interesting look to the top edge of my template. :oops:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh well. I already intended to do another "final" version of this template when I finish this build.

14. sjohnbruton

sjohnbruton Tele-Holic

Once I got the bridge and soundhole routs done, I did some pencil layout for the rest of the bits and pieces.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also decided on the final placement of the controls and marked the body and pickguard. I love a table full of hardware! :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My next step is to drill holes for strings, ferrules, and controls. I'm planning on using T-nuts and ferrules for the neck attachment. I also need to radius the body and start on the neck. :D

I need more days off!

15. crazydave911

Nice to see this moving again John :). It's gonna be sweet ;)

Be careful what you wish for :rolleyes:

16. sjohnbruton

sjohnbruton Tele-Holic

Yeah, I thought about that after I posted... :neutral:

Believe me, I am totally thankful to be gainfully employed. So, let me rephrase: I need more weekends! :cool:

17. crazydave911

There ya' go! :)

18. jimdkc

I guess it's official... I've started gathering parts for a longhorn bass... (But, I still need to finish some other projects first!)

19. Greg M

Greg M Tele-Holic

Glad you're back at it. It's really coming along too, gonna be a nice guitar.

On the template pickup hole, you going to be able to save it or will you have to make another one? If you have a technique to fix it let us know (I could use the advice if you know where I'm going here :p).

:cool:

20. crazydave911

Well good on you :). With the way things are going yours will still be finished before mine :lol:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.