Danelectro style Tele Build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by sjohnbruton, Jun 1, 2012.

1. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

Cool! Lookin' good ;)

2. sjohnbruton

sjohnbruton Tele-Holic

Thanks Dave!

3. sjohnbruton

sjohnbruton Tele-Holic

Psyched!! I just bought one of these: :D

[​IMG]

I figured I had gone all out to mix a Dano and a Tele, so I might as well mix the pickups too. I'll have this one in the bridge and a Fender Baja in the neck. I hope they play well together... ;)

4. crazydave911

Cool :cool:, they make one for the neck as well ;) :lol:. Just saying..........:)

5. sjohnbruton

sjohnbruton Tele-Holic

Yea, I thought about it. But I decided I really wanted to blend the two guitars, so I stayed with the Tele neck pup. Besides, it's chrome covered, too.

I'm sure this is heresy to some folks here, but I've never been that "in love" with the Tele bridge tone. :eek: Or any bridge tone for that matter.

I'm very much a neck pickup sort of player. And I do LOVE the Tele neck tone. Call me crazy, but it's what I like...

crazydave911 likes this.
  6. crazydave911

Ok. if you insist............."Your crazy!" :lol:

But I can somewhat relate, had an LP Jr knock off once, had the idiot humbucker at the bridge (I mean really, a Jr with a humbucker? WTF?) and a firebird mini bucker had been chiseled into the neck position. When I tried it out, the mini sang to me. I tore out the bridge humbucker and played it that way for a long time, 'til someone offered me 200$ for it and I needed it :eek:. Dang, still wish I had that junker :rolleyes:

7. sjohnbruton

sjohnbruton Tele-Holic

I've been thinking I need to try a mini bucker... Hmmm... Another build?? ;)

8. sjohnbruton

sjohnbruton Tele-Holic

Well... two weeks of wrangling over a pickup and I still don't have what I need. :neutral:

The story goes like this...

I received this pup in the mail. Hooray! :D

[​IMG]

It looks great! But wait! There's more!

First, the pup was sent to me with three Gibson style humbucker adjustment screws. (Much too narrow to fit the threads.) A quick email and this issue was resolved by the nice people at GFS.

A few days later, I received the correct screws compliments of the US Postal Service. So, naturally, I test fit the pickup to my new StewMac traditional style tele bridge (#4583). When the third screw will not line up, I eyeball the plate against the bridge and see this:

[​IMG]

Here is a close up of the problem:

[​IMG]

The forward screw hole of the pickup base plate does not line up with the bridge plate. Crap! :eek:

Another quick email to GFS. They are apologetic and eager to fix the issue. On their request I email these photos to them to detail the problem. They agree that the plate should not be that way and drop a replacement pickup in the mail.

On a side note: I test fit four other tele bridge pups (including one Fender) and they all fit exactly correctly. I have full confidence that the misalignment issue is due to the pickup base plate.

A few days later, the replacement arrives. I rush off to test fit the little bugger only to discover it lines up exactly like the previous example! Crap again! :(

Yet another email to the (obviously patient) folks at GFS to 'splain the situation. Again.

After another apology, I was informed that the rest of their stock "all seem to be correct." And should I desire a refund, this is how I go about it.

Well, I don't want a refund. I want a properly fitting pickup. So, now I have been referred to their in-house "guitar tech expert."

At this point, I am curious to know if they have a widespread tooling error, or did I get the only two lemons on the lot? Whatever the result, the folks at GFS have been polite, patient, and professional during this whole episode. :cool:

I think, regardless of what the tech expert comes up with, I will change my pickup plan. I think now I will go with one of my properly fitting bridge pups and have GFS send me a strat neck lipstick tube instead. That way, I'll have good pups and still have the tonal combination of a Tele/ Dano I was looking for.

9. Picton

Picton Friend of Leo's

Bummer on the lipstick pup; as I said in another thread, mine fit perfectly with a stock bridge, and it sounds great. Good luck with your fix.

10. crazydave911

Ask them to do this: Test fit one of those pickups to a Wilkinson Tele bridge (try at least two bridges, they do sell them :rolleyes:). If it fits, have them send it to you post haste :). If it doesn't, they have some phone calls to make ;)

FWIW, it appears to me all the holes are off a little, with the back two lined up, the tube is not centered and is crooked ;)

11. mattdean4130

mattdean4130 Tele-Afflicted

I have an original 50's dano lipstick in the neck of a tele, with no bridge pickup. If i can suggest one thing, use the lipstick for the neck - and a tele pickup for the bridge. It's a sweet sweet sound coming from the neck position ;)

12. ChameleonGuitar

ChameleonGuitar TDPRI Member

This is a fun build to watch. I wouldn't mind building a guitar out of plywood and masonite.

13. elelpe

elelpe Tele-Afflicted

Subscribe!

14. sjohnbruton

sjohnbruton Tele-Holic

Thanks.

Yep. I should have plenty to discuss with their tech expert. In the interest of keeping things simple and on topic, I haven't even mentioned to them that the pup looks off axis in the bridge plate. Personally, I think they got a bad batch of base plates. :(

Well, I guess this may end up being a happy accident, because that is where I am heading. ;)

Go for it! And post pics! :D It's cheap and easy. I hope it sounds great, too.

Thanks. Glad to have you. Just try to be patient with me. I'm not the quickest worker in these parts... :oops:

15. crazydave911

Bingo! ;)

16. sjohnbruton

sjohnbruton Tele-Holic

Well, maybe this explanation is not as obvious as I thought....

I just got an email from GFS that proclaims their bewilderment over this problem. Apparently, they have checked all their stock and back-stock of this pup (#I68) against at least two varieties of tele bridge they sell and found no ill-fitting examples in the whole lot.

Maybe I'm just lucky??? :confused:

Anyway, I plan to send these back and get the strat sized version for the neck position.

apacitto likes this.
  17. rat rod

rat rod TDPRI Member

Have you finished the build yet?

18. metalmayhem

metalmayhem Tele-Meister

How's the build going. Can't wait to see how you do the paint finish

19. Bentley

Bentley Friend of Leo's

Just wait to see what I use on my "firecaster" firebird build as a pickguard. It's shiny. Anyway, I really love this guitar! I've never heard of using plywood or hardboard? what's it.. like?

20. sjohnbruton

sjohnbruton Tele-Holic

No, but thanks for asking. Since the snafu with the pups, I've been a little off-track. :oops: I have made some small progress though...

After making some more templates, I got the body cavities routed and the neck roughed out. I'll post pics over the weekend. (I hope!)

Slowly... ;) Me too on the finish. Since the hardboard is sooo smooth already, I'm thinking I won't need tons of surface prep on the body. A white base coat is all I'm planning. We'll see how it works out together... :confused:

Thanks for the encouragement. I will check out your firecaster build... So far plywood and hardboard has been great. It's cheap, easy to work, and cheap. I guess the final eval will have wait till I'm done, but I like it. If I get half the tone of an original Dano, I will be thrilled.

Thanks for the interest. More updates soon!! :D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.