Danelectro style Tele Build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by sjohnbruton, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

I too read thru this whole build several months or so back. It totally inspired and helped me build a Dano style guitar, using Pine for body framing, and Hardboard (or Masonite) for top and back. It's not fully finished yet, but it came out pretty good. My favourite axe to play atm. Sitting right next to me as I type this! :D

2. sjohnbruton

sjohnbruton Tele-Holic

Wow! I'm glad this thread is helpful, even though it remains unfinished!

Now that summer has officially arrived in south Alabama, I'm hoping to get back to this project soon...

John

crazydave911 likes this.
  3. Macrogats

Nice to see you're still at it. Or intending to be at it. :D

T'was a great help for me. I'll let you know when I post pics. Gonna start a sort of an opening first build(s) thread in here soon. I've got 3-4 on the go atm. Unfortunately, I lost all the building process on most of them when my phone went for a swim a few weeks ago! :mad:

Starting taking new pics on the iPad, so hopefully they'll work.

4. stratguy23

stratguy23 TDPRI Member

Where did you get the pine from? I have some really old pine barnwood, but I want to use that for a different project where I finish it either natural or blonde to show off the wood. I'm going to use either pine or baltic birch plywood for my build with masonite for the top and back. I will probably use whichever is cheaper since I haven't ever attempted anything like this and know some mistakes will be made along the way.

Has anyone found a good source for the vinyl binding tape like what Danelectro uses?

5. NotAnotherHobby

NotAnotherHobby Tele-Afflicted

I've already started planning my Dano build. I am going to use some oak 2 x 2 stock from Home Depot for the frame, and oak 1 x 4 (1 x 6?) for the center plank. Then I'll cover over with 1/4" MDF on both sides.

I've got a router table and some working templates to finish up first before I start though.

6. Macrogats

Sorry, I typed that in wrong. I used stock standard pine PLYWOOD. 2 x 18mm (3/4 inch) pieces laminated together with 4.75mm hardboard top and back. I made a scratch plate for it from MDF for the controls, but I'm thinking of trying to steam off the top and replacing with 3-4mm ply so I can have surface mount controls, plus a nice natural wood finish.

I'll get some pics up in a build thread as soon as I get some photos organised. You might be intrigued with what I used for the binding. ;)

7. apacitto

apacitto TDPRI Member

Awesome thread. I read through it all last year and got inspired, so I started these.
    IMG_5151.JPG

Then I start d renovating my basement, and if I go back to ‘fun’ projects before I finish the basement, I’m pretty sure my wife will like me.

Anyways,
    Far right is going to be a jazz master style.
    The other three are danelectro longhorn style.
    6 string, 12 string, and 6 string e-e shortscale bass...if all goes well!

Thanks for the inspiration!

8. sjohnbruton

sjohnbruton Tele-Holic

Cool! You are very welcome.

I love the idea of a Jazzmaster/ Dano! I’d like to see a thread on that one... What color are you thinking of?

John

9. apacitto

apacitto TDPRI Member

Hi John,

I’m a big fan of wood grain, so I will probably keep the raw look.

Hard to get nitrocellulose in Canada, but I found a decent spray alternative at Home Depot of all places. It’s worked well on some of my other builds.

Andre

10. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Lots of places to get nitro in Canada - depending on where you are. Most industrial coatings stores sell it for furniture makers. And they match colors too if you bring in a sample. Home Depot and Rona also sell Watco. I don't use nitro so I don't know what Watco is like to work with. Also, if you're in the Tot onto area, Goudey has it.

http://www.goudeymfg.com/goudey-lacquers/nitrocellulose-lacquers.html

11. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

Any news John? Miss you here bud

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.