Well, this isn’t going to help keep me from squirrelling away parts “because I might need them sometime.” I have been playing my Danelectro Convertible more lately, and got to thinking that the bridge was holding it back from being the best that it can be. If you’ve never seen one, google it. It’s silly even by Danelectro standards; only a tripod of set screws connect the rosewood block to the top, under string tension. Of course, any changes I make need to be non-invasive; the guitar has survived 54 years without being butchered, so it’s not happening on my watch. I pulled out the random bits and pieces of arch top bridge I have laying around, and all of them are way too tall to be of any use. Then I looked at just the saddle assembly from a Vox Super Lynx I owned in the deep dark past (I bought the Danelectro in ‘84, and I already had the Vox bridge then). Without its base, it’s just a tiny bit taller than the stock saddle. I swapped them. Immediately, there was more sustain, and the kind of clattery tone of the Convertible tightened up. The saddle assembly doesn’t contact the tone across its width, it has an arch to it (which almost exactly matches the fretboard radius), but it certainly has a more solid contact with the top than the stock bridge. The Danelectro has little pin heads in the top to show where to position the bridge, and those made the Vox bridge not sit flat, but some quick clear ancient (bending) took care of that. Even better, it now actually sounds like something as an acoustic. Something funky, but at least it’s something. I may need to shim the neck to get the action just so (no height adjustment), but it’s very very close as is. Close enough for what it is, anyway.