Danelectro info sought

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by dkevin, Jul 31, 2021.

1. dkevin

dkevin Tele-Meister

Hello,
    I am looking for information about Danelectro guitar amplifiers from the late 50's until the early 60's. I have acquired a (boat anchor) project from that era and I want as much information as possible about the cabinet (missing) and the schematic (hand-drawn) and anything else that comes to mind about that era of Danelectro amp manufacture. I purchased a Twin-Fifteen chassis in extremely rough condition and I would like to restore it and possible build a combo cabinet to house it. The full model designation is Twin-Fifteen Series E model 217. As previously noted, there is a 1961 hand-drawn schematic available and I have it. Any other help would be appreciated. I believe the 216 series Twin-Fifteen had a split upper and lower chassis. The 217 combined the two sections into one long-long chassis. The pictures attached are of a similar model amp. Mine is a chassis-only project. Thank you for your help! A.jpg C.jpg

2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

That sale on Reverb.com where you got the pics gives quite a bit of visual info on the cab dimensions. One would wonder if the seller would be open to taking some measurements? Interesting amp.

3. dkevin

dkevin Tele-Meister

I am looking for an output transformer for the chassis I am waiting on. The chassis is a mess (corroded and dirty) but the power transformer has been tested and " verified. The Danelectro OT is stamped "096F in red ink. I am not optimistic about finding an original OT. Weber and Mojotone sell replacement OTs for the Silvertone 1484 and 1485. They are vertical stack through the chassis mounts though, and I would have to find a way to secure them. Oh, and the PI seems to be different from the hand-drawn schematic. The schematic says "6FQ7" and my pictures of the chassis seem to indicate a 6CG7 in lettering next to the tube socket. My 1484 amps use the 6CG7/6FQ7 interchangeably. I can't say for certain, but this chassis seems to be from a 63 or later amp. FWIW it is a Series E, model 217 and seems to be quite the rare bird. 6.jpg

4. Wally

5. Wally

6. dkevin

dkevin Tele-Meister

Here is the original OT...it seems to be a standup design and according to the schematic, it powers 2 6L6's (push-pull) and a single speaker. And yes, that MM OT seems a bit rich for my blood. Weber and Mojotone sell theirs for $50-$60... model 217 original OT.jpg

7. Wally

Are there not two of those OTs? Do you have one that is good?

and…since what you are looking at are not like the MM, the Weber, or the Mojotones; I would think that you could use a Hammond stand up for 2 x 6L6s. You might have to take some measurements of those windings to get something close to a match.

8. dkevin

dkevin Tele-Meister

Yes, one of the two OTs is present...I will have to test it to make sure it is usable...

9. dkevin

dkevin Tele-Meister

Look what I found...

10. dkevin

dkevin Tele-Meister

I found a source of the 096F output transformers...they were used in Silvertone 1474 Twin Twelve combos. The amp used two of them as the Danelectro Twin-Fifteen did. I knew I had seen those numbers/letters inked somewhere else... Silvertone 1474.JPG a.jpg 096F output transformer in a Silvertone 1474 combo.jpg

Attached Files:

Wally likes this.
  11. Wally

I figured that this amp and the Silvertone were very close to being the same amp.

12. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yes that's my sketch. I may have the PT actually for a single 15" x 6L6 (2) version of the amp. Yours the "all in one chassis" right? If you dont have the cabinet, then I can sketch what it was generally like.
    I dont have the schem, but they are simple amps. I was really into these amps for a while and they are great in many ways. Mine had that chassis and were 1961 year I think.

revised post.

13. schmee

Actually , what I have is a power transformer, (Dano Explorer) my error... My amps had only one OT tranny.
    https://reverb.com/item/40299917-vintage-power-transformer-explorer-1960

I find you can get many vintage trannys off Ebay by searching the manufacturer name under "Vintage Electronics". I bought a couple Schumacher (like fender used) for $25 each last year.
    You have to search around under "2 x 6L6 Schumacher" etc and find one. Have your mounting bolt spacing also.

14. dkevin

dkevin Tele-Meister

Thanks to you both...I was thrilled to find your post about these amps. And I did find cabinet dimensions if I want the pain of trying to build one. I should mention that the twin 15 is like the twin 12 with the exception of the reverb addition to the twin 12. That should make this amp easier to figure out and work on...right????

15. schmee

I have this pic, so will share it. I doubt you can glean anything from it.
    [​IMG]

Archtops likes this.
  16. schmee

I had an earlier Twin Twleve, it had no reverb either. 2 x 6L6 for each speaker and an OT for each also. Small OT's. I have no idea how they got away with only one rectifier in those. Low power I guess.
    [​IMG]

17. schmee

A couple of my dano's are in this old pic. The top one is obvious and it's an Explorer 1 x 15. The bottom one was the same type amp but I had no cab. I put it in a Tweed bassman cab and it worked out well.
    [​IMG]

18. dkevin

dkevin Tele-Meister

Love your wall art..and the gear is cool too!

According to my notes...the cabinet for the Danelectro Twin 15 is 32" x 22" x 10"
    (That 32" width makes a tight squeeze for two 15 inch speakers!)
    The total combo weight is 62 lbs.

It looks like the chassis sits on a shelf, bolted to the cabinet -with a mesh screen to protect the tubes.

The speakers are in the lower (partially open back) enclosure and are Jensen C15P. Each speaker is said to have a choke installed to limit the low frequency response and spare the speakers from being blown up by 100 watts.

Since I have no cabinet there is nothing requiring me to use the C15 speakers. I suppose a more modern speaker would be more efficient and handle more power without the use of speaker chokes.

It appears that most of the 1484 style OTs are 4K primary and 4/8 ohm secondary types. If I am unable to locate one original OT, I can buy two stock OTs (Hammond?) and put the original in my spares.

19. dkevin

dkevin Tele-Meister

20. dkevin

dkevin Tele-Meister

Is there an authoritative source for information about Danelectro tube amps produced from 1947-1965? I can find a lot of sources for Danelectro guitars but hardly anything about their tube amps. I am only interested in Danelectro badged amps for the moment. I realize they sold amps to Montgomery Wards and Penneys to be sold under their house brand labels, but I am trying to focus on Danelectro. I can find bits and pieces, here and there about the house brand equivalents to the Danelectro line, but not a definitive list of models, tube lineups and other info about their tube amp history.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.