1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Danelectro FAB Distortion - uh...

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by chamberpop, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

^^ Of course, I don't have a Blackstone (or ever heard one) but some guitar players swear by them- I have often read that it is a great pedal to use for those that run thier amps very clean/at quiter volumes but want a great sounding OD...

thanks!

2. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

It's a neat pedal. IMO, there are better choices for live use, the the Blackstone is indeed (IMO) better for the studio or quiet situations. You also don't need tubes per se, since the it is supposed to generate 100% of your dirt, as you alluded to.

I tend to personally gravitate towards things like the Peppermill, which IMO sound much much better when used in conjunction with a good tube amp, or even in conjunction with other pedals.

...Even though those clips demonstrated that you could use the PM with a D.I. setup, I personally wouldn't limit it to that. And even though I do love it with a clean amp, the PM works great with dirty amps, too! I got a VHT Special Six not too long ago, and I am using the PM thru both the clean and "boost" channels, with the latter just replacing a BF-type tone stack with a tweed-type tone stack. So that setup gives me:

- absolutely clean

- clean w/PM (slight dirt)

- boost (slightly dirtier than clean w/PM)

- boost w/PM (somewhat dirty/dimed tweed-ish)

- clean w/Rat (picks up where boost w/PM leaves off)

- Rat into PM (earth scorching, paint peeling gonzo fest) :twisted:

...And the Special Six is a little six watt Champ-ish type amp that I REALLY like - takes pedals better than any other pigmy amp I've owned, and is nearly as loud as some 12/15/18 watt tube amps.

3. Chiogtr4x

^^^ slight derail:

For my practice -at-home amp, I'm actually using my Smokey amp, goosed by the Brownie going into the speaker cabinet only (w/ 8" Vox labeled/Celestion), of my non-working Vox Cambridge 15! The speaker has great bass punch (for an 8") and the Brownie, actually provides brightness and a huge volume jump over just using the Smokey alone. I have an adapter w/battery clip attached to Smokey and adjust ALL from the guitar. This setup is a no-fuss great rock combo

4. bigp7099

bigp7099 Tele-Holic

Try the PM with a thor, just built mine, sounds great going into my clean 15r. i know how much you rave about the thor.

5. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

Got the Fab a few days ago and put it through a few paces. On its own going into my little Marshall Lead 20 with the gain just a hair above closed, it helps the amp break up without really pushing it into SS overdrive. Crank the drive up about halfway and it sounds really nice and chunky with my Schecter, and glassy dirty with my Tele.

At the end of my signal chain on the pedal board (Boss tuner, Dunlop wah, Janglebox 2, Dano Fish & Chips EQ, Fab Distortion, amp) it gets a little noisy with single coils, though that may be more due to a need to tone down my EQ settings on the Fish & Chips than anything inherent to the Fab. Inline with the JB2 this thing really gets nice and meaty at low gain settings.

Still have to play around with it a bit, but for $15 I am sold.

6. Justin_D_Myers

Justin_D_Myers Tele-Meister

I played my buddies FabTone through an AC30 the other day and needless to say, it is a fun pedal. With the fab and treble turned up, the pedal sounds absolutely stupid, but when you roll back the fab and treble and boost the bass, it makes an awesome fuzzed out distortion tone.

7. Chiogtr4x

Powerful little sucker!

I'm amazed at the Gain range thing this has- with the Gain up to the point where you can tell it just 'kicked in', say 7-8 clock, and the Level at NOON and the Tone at 1:00-2:00 this thing is a decent boost/OD. And with the Gain at 11-NOON you get pretty nice distortion and sustain. It does generate some noise, especially as the Tone control is advanced (but I like its range too!) but that's OK - still has a great sound, IMO

8. RedRock

RedRock Tele-Holic

A huge bang for the buck.

9. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, I'm thinking of putting my eq after the drive pedals to maybe notch a bit of the noisy frequencies out. It's not all that bad, and pulling back on the tone of the Fab does help a bit.

10. 11 Gauge

That is the cool thing about it and the Nobels ODR-1 - since they both use "both types" of clipping diodes (soft clipping in the negative feedback loop like a TS AND diodes shunted to ground like a Rat/DS-1/D+), it allows for a more "clever extension" of the gain range.

I'm surprised there aren't more boxes that use both. Lots of Boss/DOD "too high of gain" boxes from the 80's did (although I am partial to the HM-2 for some reason, which adds a third type of clipping diodes called "crossover distortion" clipping, although Boss probably used it as a REALLY crude noise gate), but it was not really embraced with boutique stuff that followed suit.

The one clear case of NFB loop and diodes to ground are many (possibly all) of the Mad Professor/BJFE pedals that are traditional op amp/diodes, like the Honey Bee, Dyna Red Distortion, Sky Blue OD, Sweet Honey OD, etc. IIRC.

11. Tuto103

Tuto103 Tele-Meister

I believe it is normal bc I bought the dano FAB chorus and its rocking lol its rly nice chorus that Id actually use instead of any $100 pedal..
    I think they're great buys

12. stilesg57

stilesg57 Tele-Holic

Huge fan of the Fab Tone distortion, have been for years. It was the first pedal I ever bought like two weeks after I started learning how to play guitar :D

Some of the other Fab pedals have been decent, but I haven't found any that quite knock their particular effect out of the part the way the distortion does.

Gotta find me one of those metal case ones from the '90s...

13. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

the big metal case one is not at all the same. It's kinda nasty, raspy fuzz. Although it was on Prince's board for awhile...

14. 11 Gauge

It's actually a sort of "stripped down" variation of the Boss MT-2 Metal Zone (the big maroon Fab Tone). They basically have the same active EQ filters - a "pre-gain mid emphasis" (not adjustable), then a post-clipping "dual notch filter" that emphasizes treble and bass (not adjustable).

...Both the MT-2 and Fab Tone have similar adjustable bass and treble circuits, but the MT-2 obviously has the mid control that both lets you adjust both the frequency, and amount of boost and cut.

I think the FT actually excels at some applications because it is a little more stripped down versus the MT-2, and some of the EQ frequencies are just different enough to make it a little better for the heavy/buzzy stuff.

Long story short - the Fab is similar to the ODR-1 in some ways, the Fab Tone is similar to the MT-2 in some ways.

15. lareplus

lareplus Tele-Afflicted

I love these discussions. . .never heard about the Nobles ODR-1. Found a youtube clip and it sounded pretty darn good.

16. wildschwein

wildschwein Tele-Afflicted

I just picked up one of these S/H for about $20 AU delivered. I've generally been a fan of the Fab series - although I don't dig the flanger too much. The Distortion has a very cool sound and is heaps of fun to play. I'm just using it in front of a clean amp. You can get a bluesy crunch or singing sustain, even early Metallica-type sounds with the gain maxed. Inspiring dirt tones abound. It's actually a lot more versatile than my DS-1 and sounds a lot better than the metal-cased Cool Cat Distortion from a few years ago (I got rid of that one pretty fast). I think I've found a new favorite dirt box to go along with my Biyang Mouse and my Moen Fuzz Moo.

17. Chiogtr4x

^ I have one of these too (I forget about it as I use a GFS Brownie for distortion), and this little pedal has a lot of range in those little controls and amazing output! need to revisit and do a few gigs with the FAB Distortion

18. JohnSS

JohnSS Tele-Meister

Fan of the the Dano FAB series. I own the FAB OD and FAB Metal. Both are excellent bang for the buck pedals and the tone control makes them quite versatile for use with single coils or buckers.

Guitar Player magazine had a review of the FAB OD, Distortion and Metal and it was over all quite positive.

19. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

"Rat into PM (earth scorching, paint peeling gonzo fest)"

Now that sounds like fun!

20. wildschwein

wildschwein Tele-Afflicted

With good reason, they're actually half decent pedals.

The bypass is acceptable - although stacking a pile of them together thins things out a bit. I'd rather use them in combination with other better bypass circuits and some true bypass pedals where it's not as much of a problem.
    Having said that I have been pretty inspired to play some cool music over the years through my Dano Fab pedals.

The OD is nice - it's a bit like a TS-808-type pedal but seems to not roll off as much bass and the mid-hump is in a slightly lower part of the midrange, so it's a little darker. I like to set the level high and the drive low and use it to goose an already dirty tone.

The chorus has its followers too and I really like it - it has it's own unique thing that I haven't heard in other choruses - it's kind of a soapy, creamy type of sound (for lack of better adjectives). I also have the later Cool Cat Chorus too (the beetle-shaped one from a few years back not the one from the '90s that runs at 18v) and that is inferior in sound to the FAB IMO. I have an Arion SCH-1 that keeps the Dano off my main board but I still use it when recording and would never get rid of it.

The Echo is also a lot of fun. I modded mine a while back for infinite repeats which makes it sound silly when you turn the echo up too far but I also use this pedal as an Aux input when recording, as it does that John Lennon vocal-doubling effect pretty well which is more interesting than stock plugin sounds. It's cool for Rockabilly guitar parts too. I have a load of other more expensive pedals but I still like my Fabs. Who said fun and inspiration had to cost the earth?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.