danelectro dc59: reissue or new?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by sansa, May 11, 2021.

1. sansa

sansa Tele-Meister

hey tdpri people.
    I'm sure my next guitar will be a dano 59. the idea of having a really similar guitar to the original dc59 is good but some people in the forums complains about the really fragile wooden bridge and the tuners. the main complaint is bad intonation and problems while bending notes.
    although the color seems a bit different (can't see well the site pictures), the price is quite the same and the overall features (paint, wiring, woods, etc) seems the same. so I can't make this decision without your help!
    this is the reissue: https://m.thomann.de/it/danelectro_59_reissue_double_cutaway_bk.htm
    and this is the new model: https://m.thomann.de/it/danelectro_de_59m_nos_bk.htm?o=2&search=1620747314

do you think that buying the reissue and just replacing the wooden bridge (keeping the original tuners) would be a good idea or the issues would be so many to prefer the new model?

thanks for your opinion

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  2. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Reissue.

That new bridge is a pain.

The wooden bridge can be intonated close enough for most purposes, and it will last quite a while before needing attention. I never had a problem with note bending on mine when it had the wooden bridge, but mine had so much use, the rosewood needed replacing and the plate kept bending. I am a heavy-handed player, and I was playing three-chord thrash punk, so make of that what you will.

Reissue. It looks so much better.
    Reissue. Changing strings is easy.

Chiogtr4x, radiocaster and sansa like this.
  3. tanplastic

tanplastic Tele-Afflicted

Personally, I don't like the original bridge. The metal plate collapses (twice for me), intonation is a compromise, and the string retention is bad.
    The new issue looks like an improvement and you will still get that great Dano sound.

brookdalebill and sansa like this.
  4. sansa

sansa Tele-Meister

would you buy the reissue and just replace the bridge or directly buy the new version?

5. sansa

sansa Tele-Meister

why you think the new bridge would be a pain? because of the different sound?

Jakedog likes this.
  6. tanplastic

If they are the same price, I would buy the new version.
    It will be trouble free for much longer than the reissue.
    The Senn bridge that replaced my last bent Dano one was an expensive mod for a lower priced guitar, but well worth it, IMHO.
    If I had the opportunity to buy an already-modded version I would have done that.

M2roadwarrior likes this.
  7. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Amplified, the bridge plays only a small role in the sound. It's the method of stringing and the bridge being sunken that switches me off. I also think the aesthetics of it are at odds with the guitar as a whole. I feel this is a better look...

AllpartsDano2.JPG

Gevalt and radiocaster like this.
  8. tanplastic

I prefer this as well.

VintageSG likes this.
  9. sansa

sansa Tele-Meister

wow that's gorgeous...
    anyway I was trying to understand if the bridge is sunken or not in this black version. if yes it's a huge aesthetic compromise to me. I can't see the shadow of any trenching in the pictures of the thomann site.. I hope there's not

and I saw the wood of the neck is also different. the compromise is starting to get bigger. I don't want a common sounding guitar. I want to stay far from that usual strat sound

Last edited: May 12, 2021
  10. sansa

sansa Tele-Meister

11. sansa

sansa Tele-Meister

good point. the only way would be having the chance to try both. but in my city no shop has either a danelectro... so I have to choose and order it
    also I'm starting to discovering many differences other than the bridge. different woods, different pickups (probable different wiring) and probable "anti-aesthetic" sunken bridge. After all this I'm not sure the sound is the same

tanplastic likes this.
  12. jayyj

jayyj Tele-Afflicted

I much prefer the wooden bridge, the sunken ones are a pain. I also think the rosewood saddle is part of the Dano sound - subtle compared to other factors, sure, but it's in there. If the intonation bothers you and you have a local tech who's good with woodwork they're easy enough to replace with one where the leading edge is cut to give a better intonation.

The neck should be the same on the two current versions, they just put a good colour coat on the neck of the one with the sunken bridge. The sunken bridge model has dual concentric pots like the originals, but the ones they're using at the moment don't work very well (tone is virtually an on/off switch) so you're probably better off with the simple set up on the reissue.

The 90s Korean reissues used metal for the bridge that was too soft and often sagged in the middle but so far I haven't seen it happen on the recent ones. Originals rarely sunk.

radiocaster likes this.
  13. Gaz_

Gaz_ Tele-Meister

I have a DC59 NOS is baby come back blue. I haven't played the original/reissue.

I love my Danelectro, and think it plays amazingly well, it arrived well set up, and I haven't had to change anything yet so I can't talk about the ease of set up, but I like everything about it tbh.

M2roadwarrior likes this.
  14. robinn

robinn Tele-Meister

A though decision! The heart says reissue, the head says the modern one.

If I were to buy such a unique model, it wouldn't be my main guitar, let alone my only guitar. So I'd be inclined to go for the reissue and stay as close as possible to the original specs, just for fun.

You might argue the original wooden bridges are cheap and have their issues, but those type of modern intonatable wraparound bridges are cheap as well, and I have run into issues with those as well.

Personally, I don't like the idea of buying a new guitar (the re-issue) and then change the bridge immeditiatly, as you seem to consider.

FWIW: I have relative good experiences with a 'compromised' intonation (as we know, intonation is always a compromise) on vintage bridges like the slanted wraparound-bridge on Gibsons or 3-saddle teles for that matter. There's a couple of tricks that can be found online.

15. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I will never again own an electric with a wooden bridge. I will never again own a guitar without a fully adjustable bridge. It’s what keeps me from a PRS SE Paul’s guitar.

Fendereedo likes this.
  16. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

New version all day for me.

Fendereedo likes this.
  17. sansa

sansa Tele-Meister

why?

18. sansa

sansa Tele-Meister

actually i don't know if this new version has a sunken bridge. an other negative point is this fact about pots.
    this should be my main guitar. I really don't need a tremolo so the danelectro set up is everything I need. the reissue is really cool but I'm afraid about the issues. now I come to find also the new version has problems because of the wiring....

PS. no the neck is not the same. if you take a look at the pictures I uploaded you will see the reissue has a poplar neck and the new version has a maple neck. also the fingerboard seems to be different in color. but I didn't check which wood it is

19. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

Inonatable bridge makes a huge difference. “Close” is not good enough for me. It’s also a lot more solid for any playing more aggressive than basic chord strumming. New pickups are punchier, too. They still sound pretty much like they should, but their output is more on par with more familiar and conventional designs.

It’s purely cosmetic but I really like the look of the painted neck/headstock as well. It’s more in line with the old ones than the plain maple on the “stock” model.

The new model is equipped with updates that really are performance enhancing. The only reason to buy the old style model is traditionalism.

20. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I’d get a new one.
    I love the old ones, and have owned a few, but they lack adjustable truss rods.
    Though they were well made, most of the necks are slightly warped.
    I know, because I check when I see them for sale.
    A straight neck, and an tuneable bridge are indispensable, IMO.

Jakedog likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.