1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Danelectro Convertible construction?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by gogoman, Aug 5, 2011.

1. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

Original? Vintage? With a maple neck? I'm sure I'll be corrected if wrong, but I never saw anything but a poplar neck on a Dano until the 80's reissues :confused:

2. dblues

dblues Tele-Holic

Gogoman, I'm very interested to see your build progress as I'm in the beginning stages of a similar build. I would call it danelectro inspired because I'm basically building a guitar around the surviving neck and pickup from an old dane convertible but I am not trying to duplicate the convertible model per say.The original guitar literally fell apart from wear and tear and finally being in a fire back in the late 80's. I don't remember there being a block under the bridge. As far as differences between Masonite and hardboard, there probably are some but the hardboard at Home Depot looks exactly like the top and bottom on my old (probably 50's era) U2. There is something liberating about using the danelectro template for a build. Skilled builders can probably make big improvements and the rest of us can have fun building something cheap. Your attitude of get it done with whatever works (spatula=tailpiece) is very much in the danelectro spirit. Looking forward to the rest of your build. Dennis

3. oldsoultroy

oldsoultroy Tele-Meister

Unless your very into proper spec, have built Dano style guitars with 3/16" bookmatched spruce tops. Tempered Masonite for the back, with a single 1/40th veener over the back and sides. Then add binding to F and B. Pleasing to my eyes, and still sounded like a a Dano.

4. gogoman

gogoman Tele-Meister

I would be pretty amazed if mine is going to sound like a Danelectro though, it's even going to have a tele neck pickup... ;)

5. crazydave911

If it's a good one, it'll still sound great :)

6. oldsoultroy

oldsoultroy Tele-Meister

sounds like a recipe for goodness :)

7. slotrod65

slotrod65 Tele-Meister

I have an original Danelectro convertible: The version without electronics. The body is just a poplar pieced frame, with no block under the bridge. While feeling around inside the body, I can feel a piece of wood that was glued to the inside of the top, under the bridge area. It is only about 1/4" thick, but I cannot see it or get accurate dimensions. The front and back are masonite with wood grained formica on top. I am not sure if Danelectro glued the formica to the masonite, or if they bought it as one masonite/formica piece. I would be glad to provide photos, measurements or whatever else you need. Just PM me.

8. gogoman

gogoman Tele-Meister

Great info!, that's also a solution ofcourse, just stiffen the bridge-area.
    Can you tell me more about the binding? Is it binding, or just painted or lacquered Masonite?

Thanx for your support,
    Grtz
    Dennis

9. slotrod65

slotrod65 Tele-Meister

"Is it binding, or just painted or lacquered Masonite?"

There is no binding. The formica/masonite top is routed at an angle, giving the dark brown look of binding. It is brilliant, and cheap, like so much of what Nat Daniel did. To top it off, the cut is not a straight 45 degree angle, but rather has a slight curve out. I will try to take some photos to describe what I mean.

Phred

10. gogoman

gogoman Tele-Meister

Thanx Phred,
    Pics would really help, because I don't really get what you mean exactly, I think ;)

11. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

It's not a bevel on the edge...It's a round over made with a larger radius bit I think. The side of the body is a vinyl tape. When I made mine I went to a fabric store and bought some vinyl and just glued it to the side. The edge/side of the masonite is not painted opaque in fact it may not have finish on it at all if I remember.

12. slotrod65

slotrod65 Tele-Meister

OK, I have some pics:

Here is what I mean about the routed edge: I agree with Guitarbuilder that this was a rounded bit, not a staight angled bit:

[​IMG]

Next is a view of the neck pocket, looking towards the sound hole and bridge. Notice how thin the formica layer is. Based on this view, Danelectro must have purchased this as one piece formica-on-masonite.

[​IMG]

The white edging is typical danelectrro binding tape.

The guitar in these photos has a neck date of late July 1965. I purchased it from the original owner who told me that that they received it for Christmas

13. gogoman

gogoman Tele-Meister

Again, thank you guys....
    I guess this'll be the definitive Go-to source on the web for anything about the Convertible... ;)

Since mine is going to be made out of plywood (see my build-thread http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-hom...lectro-telecaster-build-lets-get-started.html)
    I'm going to have to paint it just to protect it I think.
    I also ask a question about my plans there.

Oh, and Guitarbuilder: thanks for the tip about the upholstery-vinyl for the sides, I even have that lying around.
    And phred, Love your blog!

14. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

Actually white duct tape wouldn't be that far off of the original. It would have some texture to it.

15. oldsoultroy

oldsoultroy Tele-Meister

ALL-PARTS sells the side vinyl material in I believe 25ft. rolls

16. gogoman

gogoman Tele-Meister

Yep, found it at this site: http://www.danguitars.com/PARTS.html
    But it won't fit for my project since my tele's body is thicker than the Dano's.
    Thanks anyway.

17. crazydave911

He was talking about this. It still may not fit, but it is a different seller :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.