Danelectro Club!

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by vintage clubber, Mar 28, 2013.

1. AngelDeville

AngelDeville Tele-Afflicted

Shh... I snuck a Silvertone in there.... She needs a pickguard still.

[​IMG]

Gabrielle84 likes this.
  2. zulujos

zulujos Tele-Meister

Not sure if this is the right approach but here goes. A Danelectro 59 DM NOS in white caught my eye. Never played a Dano. My question is I see them listed as NOS AND NOS+. The plus being an overwound version. Is the NOS actually the same as NOS+ but the sellers either don't know or are these two different guitars from a pickup standpoint?

Gabrielle84 likes this.
  3. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

My late 90's 59 DC with a custom scratchplate. It has had a sawn off Tele bridge and through body stringing at one point, but it just didn't feel right, so back to the good ol' rosewood.
    Since this picture was taken, the stock selector sort of broke up internally and the bridge volume pot died a death. It now has a Gibson type switch and single volume and tone control as opposed to the original stacked.
    It's set up for 9's. 9's suit it and don't cause the bridge plate to buckle. My bridge plate has banana'd a time or two when I had 10's on it. Easily rectified. A screw under the front of the plate stops it happening again.
    It sounds superb and aside from upper fret access is a joy to play. It can bark and snarl, it can wail, it can sing. For single coils, it is also remarkably quiet. I think it is my favourite. DSCF0484.JPG

4. BadTranslate

BadTranslate Tele-Meister

Rory Gallagher :)

[​IMG]

Gabrielle84 and Cliffyg62 like this.
  5. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

Picked up a 2006 '56 Pro yesterday. It looks just like this one......
    nW1t1l1.jpg

Gabrielle84, Cliffyg62 and 9fears08 like this.
  6. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

Tone wood geeks obviously never played a Dano........;):cool:

7. SBClose

SBClose Tele-Meister

I'll post here as well as in a more tech oriented TDPRI forum...

I have an early 00's reissue U2 that I've had since new. The switch went bad recently so I bought a generic 3way switch that looked like the original. Though the original wiring didn't make good sense to me, it worked...until it didn't. So, I wired the new switch just like the old one. With the new switch installed I have signal from the neck pickup, signal from the bridge and nothing in the middle.

I checked wiring diagrams for the Dano U2 online and double checked my work. The original wiring STILL doesn't make good sense but I'm not an electrician.

I checked diagrams for Les Pauls which use what appears to be the same type of switch. These diagrams make more sense. Neck, Output, Bridge with all grounds at the outside lug.

A little direction would be appreciated. Should I go with the original and keep at it until it works? Are the switches different somehow? I suppose the new switch could be bad- is there an efficient way to bench test it?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

8. SBClose

SBClose Tele-Meister

A little more careful research indicates that I need an
    ON-OFF-ON switch instead of the ON-ON-ON that I was trying to use. I'll get the right switch and bring back a report.

9. Marc Muller

Marc Muller Tele-Holic

Had this in the house for a while, borrowing from a friend. Original factory that built all the old Dan's is 1/2 mile from my house. Wish there was a way to post audio on this site. The sound recorded direct was absolutely huge!

20170129_163004_001.jpg

10. gypsy jim

gypsy jim Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I have an original 90's reissue U2. I just ordered the Jeff Senn replacement bridge but would also like to replace the tuners as they don't seem as good as they should be. Any suggestions?

The Senn DRB2:
    http://jeffsennguitars.com/Merch/merch.html

Gabrielle84 likes this.
  11. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 Tele-Holic

Hi, I just snagged this '58-'59 Silvertone U1 this afternoon, I paid $500, it looks to be mostly original except the scratch plate is missing, and the control cavity cover has been replaced with an unfinished Masonite cover. One of the 2 pickup screws in the back has been replaced, the end pin strap button has been replaced with a metal one, (the front button is the original plastic button). It hasn't been refinished, it's the original copper finish, the bridge is original, the pickup and wiring are original, I'm not too sure about the control knobs, but they look cool, and look old as well. The case is old, not original, and it's seen better days, but still functions fine. Was this a good deal? Average? Taken for a ride? Just curious more than anything, I don't know much about Danelectro's/Silvertones. Regardless, it's way cool and in pretty decent condition for 60 years old! Thanks for any and all replies.
    IMG_0210.JPG IMG_0211.JPG IMG_0212.JPG IMG_0213.JPG

Last edited: May 30, 2018
  12. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

only 2 neck bolts? I like it.

13. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

20171024_100812.jpg Am employing my trusty Danelectro '56 U-2 RI and VOX Pathfinder 15R for 45 dates ( right now!) In a Patsy Cline dinner theater show.
    This combo is just perfect for the Ballads, and old Country and R&R in the show- love my Dano!
    20171024_100812.jpg

Sorry, I can't format properly!

Attached Files:

Gabrielle84 and Flaneur like this.
  14. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

The VOX to go with above Dano
    00606_akEg5eS3VH0_1200x900.jpg

Gabrielle84 likes this.
  15. MadJack

MadJack Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I Joined back in March with my '59 NOS+
    P1030108.JPG

It's even approved by Wila!

Gabrielle84 and bender66 like this.
  16. SUPROficial

SUPROficial TDPRI Member

I just picked up a '61 Silvertone 1416, I have a knack for finding these things for the same prices that reissues sell for.

silvertone1416.jpg

I've had a bunch of them over the years, here's a '57 Silvertone 1317 and a '59 Silvertone 1419 I used to own about 15 years ago:

silvertones.jpg

Gabrielle84 likes this.
  17. EYESLIKEFIRE

EYESLIKEFIRE TDPRI Member

I recently acquired a 90's Dane Hodad guitar. This is the one with the four lipsticks wired as humbuckers with push-pull tone knobs for coil split and phase. Upon receiving it (gift for my son) I noticed that both tone pots and volumes are completely destroyed and the previous owner rewired it incorrectly.

I scoured the internet looking for a wiring diagram to no avail, and I would really love to take it back to it's original configuration.

The only diagram I've found the kinda similar is this one https://guitarelectronics.com/2-hum...tch-2-volumes-2-tones-coil-tap-reverse-phase/ But the push pull is on the volumes and not the tone controls and of course they're humbuckers (but I can get around that).

I would be so grateful ff anyone here has access to a schematic, or at least a couple of clear shots of the control cavity.

Thanks gentz!

Attached Files:

Gabrielle84 likes this.
  18. Gabrielle84

Gabrielle84 Tele-Meister

recent dano member, combination in blueburst, MIK around 2000. I'll post a photo of my guitar, this one is just like mine, but I snagged the photo off reverb.
    I am having a blast playing it, gives a twangy banjo/bluegrass sound.

I seem drawn to eclectic/out of the ordinary guitars...and people. :)
    Currently own: 2005 Squire '51, 2012 PRS Angelus Acoustic (no piezo, pure acoustic-this is my daily guitar), Greg Bennett ST-9 (fun little guitar to play, after I put new strings on it and lowered the action).

Attached Files:

19. Arbuckle

Arbuckle NEW MEMBER!

Good day. First day, first post. Im seeking some assistance. I picked up this 59M spruce, f-hole. It was made on 9-17-15. It is purple with a pearloid pick guard. I cant find any info on this color in any literature or search. Does anyone have a clue on it? Rare? Color? 15406592198136655809140719662125.jpg

zippofan and Gabrielle84 like this.
  20. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

Baritone '63. A previous owner had upgraded the bridge, causing GC to list it in only "good" condition...

[​IMG]

Gabrielle84 and brookdalebill like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.