Danelectro assistance please

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Johnnypops, Oct 14, 2019.

1. Johnnypops

Johnnypops TDPRI Member

Hi all
    Normally keep my posts to teles but info is really thin on the ground re danos and I’ve seen a few posts here seeking knowledge
    I’ve collected this one today after buying it a week or so ago and the guy I bought it off has had it in a wardrobe unplayed for more than a decade. I think she’s a thing of beauty
    His dad gave it to him for his birthday more than a decade ago and he’s never learnt guitar
    So my questions are does anyone know what strings a Dano u2 reissue shipped with because these are flatwound and I’m thinking they might be original strings in which case I’ll take them off and store them
    It’s tuned down a step to try preserve the neck
    Still trying to find out how to date it and while it’s not an original 56 it is an early Korean and untouched and almost unplayed for the 20-30 year old girl she is.
    Have lifted the hood and everything seems original there
    Has a hairline crack at the nut im about to have repaired but the guitar shop said it’s in no danger of failure as it’s Delam between fingerboard and neck so tension on strings is holding it together

Attached Files:

BorderRadio likes this.
  2. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Holic

I'd be a little surprised to find out that any reissues of anything shipped from the factory with flatwound strings. They cost more, and are preferred by a low-single-digit percentage of players. Even guitars that would benefit from some heavier strings tend to show up with .009s

https://web.archive.org/web/2008102...guitar.com/features/gear/details.asp?AID=2430

Here's a review of the subsequent '56 Pro, not that it helps you a ton.

BorderRadio likes this.
  3. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

The Korean reissues are things of beauty. The serial number was a sticker on the rear of the headstock. It held no information regarding dating them. 1997-8 was the start of the Evets Corp reissues, with the U2 being the first model. Manufacturing was pretty much over by around the back end of 2001 with stocks being sold for a few years after.

Don't worry about preserving the neck. Get the delam sorted and play it until your face aches from smiling. I can't recall what strings were on mine, but I've always strung it with 9-42. The neck is a solid lump of Poplar and it -does- have a truss rod. You have to remove the neck to tweak it as it's a heel adjust.

Bad points :- The pots and switch are not fantastic. The bridge piece can bow under heavy strings and palm muting. The rosewood saddle eventually gets dings and chavs.

Good points :- EVERYTHING ELSE!

W.L.Weller likes this.
  4. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

Dano nut here -- I've got a U2, a Pro, and a Jerry Jones single cut -- and I've never seen one with flat wounds on it so I would just replace those with whatever feels good to you & play the thing. As noted, the metal / rosewood bridge will collapse after a while with medium / heavy strings on it. Replacements are available or you can go with an all-metal intonatable bridge, which will last as long as the rest of the guitar does. These things don't feel particularly sturdy but mine have held up nicely, sound great, fun to play. The 13th-fret neck join on the Pro takes a little getting used to but the U2 is easy to get around on. Check out the way you get a nice volume boost with both pickups on -- great for solos. Cool guitars. Enjoy!

5. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

Enjoy that thing....don't worry about preserving value or originality for it's own sake. Bang on it, until it sounds the way you like:)

….and throw those old strings in the recycling!
    IMG_20171006_164500638_HDR.jpg

6. ViperQQ

ViperQQ NEW MEMBER!

The Danoelectro S/N's are to inconsistant, with no rhyme or reason, to provide sufficient info to determine a production date.

To get a better idea, other factors must be taken into consideration (assuming all the parts are original):

1) The dates found on the POTS.
    2) Any dates found on the pickups.
    3) The shape & design of the headstock.
    4) The material & style of the hardware (V/T knobs, switches, tuning knobs and binding).
    5) The type & material of the pickups (all should be using lipstick single coil).

I have four Danos (DC-12s, 1st reissue, Mod-6, Hodad Baritone & Doubleneck. Each with 10-46). Upon purchasing, I usually go through replacing the wiring; and if needed, replace POTS, caps, switches, output jacks and shielding.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
  7. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire

Bought one of those new. It did not have flat wound strings. Do necessary repairs, and if it’s going to get played, look into the options for upgrading that bridge. It will always be worth more as a player than as a wall hanger. (If you adjust for inflation, my all-original ‘65 isn’t worth any more today than when I bought it 35 years ago.) Just one man’s opinion.

8. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire

I've owned two U2s and just can't hold on to them, much as I love them. They seemed like delicate little things, but glorious sound. I replaced my bridges with a steel and rosewood saddle compensated Zamm bridge, all the stock bridges sunk down..

9. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I would get those strings off it ASAP and go no heavier than 9-46. I saw lots of them in stores back in the 90s, none ever had flatwounds. mine is very fun to play but the selector switch is junk.

love the color on yours.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
  10. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I don't know of any guitars that come with flatwounds.

Basses may sometimes, especially fretless.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.