1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Damp Rabbit Guitars, the rebirth

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Peltogyne, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Peltogyne

Peltogyne Friend of Leo's

A long time ago, in a land about 400 miles away I had a little guitar shop. I shut it down in 1994. Recently I've been tinkering again, mostly with finishes.

Then last October I joined a Makerspace, that's a co-op workshop for those unfamiliar with the term. It has a wood shop, metal shop, CNC router, 3d printers and other stuff.

So I'm making guitars again. Instead of making seperate threads I'm going to bunch it all up in this one since I'm going to try and keep them all in similar states of completion.

I currently have 4 designs in progress. I've been doing the modeling in Fusion 360 which is nice because all those designs can go to our CNC mill & router and the 3D printers.

And now let's meet the contestants....

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  2. Peltogyne

The guitar.
    This uses a neck I made for a banjo body many years ago that was cool as it had an EMG Tele pickup under the bridge and sounded great but was uncomfortable, didn't stay in tune well and never got played. So it will get a new body hopefully something like this. So far the neck has been milled to work as a bolt on.

Screen Shot 2017-11-26 at 7.21.37 PM.png

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  3. Peltogyne

The Lefty.
    This is for an old friend who is learning to play at age 56. He's decided to play lefty but string righty so he can play more than just his bass. I'm shooting for under 7 pounds to help with back and neck issues which meant a small basswood body, maple & poplar neck, custom aluminum bridge and tailpiece.

Bump_Bass_07_2018-Jan-09_11-14-32AM-000_CustomizedView2477620262_jpg.jpg

Barncaster and Piggy Stu like this.
  4. Peltogyne

The Jazz.
    This is what Fender would be making if they changed their design in the last century to suit my whims. Passive, angled headstock, zero fret, smaller body, tricky pickup selections.

MJ_05_2017-Oct-08_09-59-38AM-000_CustomizedView15739203445_png.jpg

Barncaster likes this.
  5. Peltogyne

The nylon string couch guitar.
    The concept here is to have something with more acoustic volume than a solidbody but not as loud as a real acoustic. It will be tuned like a 6 string bass an octave higher, or with a slight twist of two tuners it will be tuned like a baritone guitar tuned down to B. A 32" scale with 29 frets gives it the range of a 24 fret guitar with 5 lower frets.

Nylon_Contra_01_2018-Jan-13_11-50-28AM-000_CustomizedView15903612861_jpg.jpg

6. Peltogyne

7. Peltogyne

The necks as they are today. From left to right.

The old banjo neck. Maple, bubinga and ebony. 25.5" scale. Bunny inlays.

(The rest of the necks are 32" scale)

Lefty. Maple with tapered poplar core and scarfed poplar headstock.

Jazz. Flamed maple, plain maple with a dash of purpleheart. Scarfed flamed maple headstock.

Nylon. Poplar with maple core.

IMG_6663.jpg

8. Peltogyne

Here's a test of the lefty neck from the CNC machine with a 2x4. I will be using a smaller bit for the fret slots on the real necks. So much to learn with the CNC!

IMG_6664.jpg IMG_6665.jpg IMG_6666.jpg

9. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I like the first one. Odd (different) pickup position for the middle. Is there an advantage to that?

10. Peltogyne

Yes, better tone. Or more tone, or something like that.

Actually it just looks cool.

11. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

Very cool off kilter designs.

Peltogyne likes this.
  12. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I'm a great fan of the zero fret, looks like you are as well? I feel they are just as accurate and less prone to problems than a Mammoth tusk or Siberian tiger leg bone nut or what ever is the fashion at the time. Love your work!

What's the story behind the "Damp Rabbit" ?

DC

Peltogyne likes this.
  13. Amerman

Amerman TDPRI Member

What's the idea with the poplar core necks?

14. Peltogyne

Thanks :) The nylon is the real weirdo of the bunch. I want that to be hollow with a full floating top like in an classical, not like a Gibson 335 or thinline tele. But instead of a softwood top with bracing I'm thinking 1/4" of maple and then with some kind of sound holes on the side only, pointing at my face. Currently I'm thinking I'll mount back of the soundboard piezos as opposed to under saddle ones for amp use. From what little I've heard I prefer that sound.

ndeli55 likes this.
  15. Peltogyne

Thanks for the comments :)

I've used very few zero frets but I'm thoroughly convinced of it's superiority and can't see not using when I have a choice.

Damp Rabbit came from trying to keep bunnies from chewing carpet with a spray bottle like you would with a cat. A stubborn rabbit becomes a damp rabbit. Once the phrase was coined it became my first email address as it was more exciting than Bob@ and I've used it as an alias since for business and other shenanigans.

Barncaster likes this.
  16. Peltogyne

Trimming weight at the expense of strength. Though losing strength isn't a goal.

Everything with poplar is below normal scale length and/or destined for light gauge strings so I should be okay. Also the weak spots of the neck by the nut have more maple in that area so the poplar is focused in the heel and thicker parts of the neck.

The nylon & the lefty are using soft maple which should also shave a few more grams. My CAD program will let me estimate how much I'm saving and one day I might make the effort to see how much it actually saves.

17. Amerman

Amerman TDPRI Member

Thanks for the explanation. Not to be troll or anything, but surely the weight savings are not worth the loss of structural rigidity? It's been my experience that with most necks the weight is in the truss rod and tuners.

Northern poplar is somewhere in the region of 500kg/M3 and upwards, and maple is somewhere around 650. Based on the necks I've made and measured, you'd save less than 100g making the neck from 100% poplar. If you used southern poplar, which is very light and prone to cupping, I guess you could save another 50g?

18. s_tones

s_tones Tele-Afflicted

Sounds like an adventure. Your right about CNC, lots to learn. But so fun and sooooo powerful

Peltogyne likes this.
  19. Peltogyne

Hard maple is around 750. If I save 50g total it's a great success. Poplar has been used for Danelectro's that have survived for decades. There will be more than enough strength.

20. Snowcave

Snowcave TDPRI Member

Some cool builds here... will be following this thread!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.