1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Dallas Rangemaster clone diagram questions

Discussion in 'Burnt Fingers DIY Effects' started by MBolanlovechild, Feb 27, 2014.

1. MBolanlovechild

MBolanlovechild TDPRI Member

Hello.

My only experience with pedal building has been with a kit, so whilst I came out with a very nice sounding fuzz face, the technicalities of it all unfortunately passed me by.

I'm foaming over a Colorsound power boost 18v build, but I thought I should start out a little simpler (Saying this, I am building a 5w tube amp from scratch, but something about the compactness of pedals makes them appear more complicated)

So I'm going to try a Dallas Rangemaster.

I have plenty of tagboard left over to facilitate a couple pedals, and this particular diagram presents it in a very neat fashion.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-5GZ4jthoy...3l4/s1600/Dallas+Rangemaster+with+trimmer.png

What seems strange to me is what the +ve grounds are. Where are they supposed to go? Do they go respectively to the input/output jacks?

Is there a typo regarding the 9v connections on the diagram? I'd have thought that one of the 9v connections would be for the positive. In which case, which one should be positive and which negative?

How would I add a standard 3 way switch, and as I recall the pedal I built would only turn on when an input/output cable was plugged in. How might I achieve that with this one?

Thanks,
    Edward

2. luckett

luckett Banned

The stomp switch should be wired just like any 3PDT you would find in other effects. The power switching with the plug should be implemented by wiring your power source ground thru the ring and sleeve of a stereo jack so it is connected to the board when a mono plug is inserted.

This schematic will answer your question about the positive ground.

[​IMG]

3. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Tele-Holic

4. Jushden

Jushden Tele-Meister

Are the 1m resistors in that schematic just to reduce popping when switching the effect on/off? The schematic I used doesn't include those.

Also, I used 2sa221 instead of oc44 and the signal is incredibly weak/low. Anyone ever use this transistor? I thought it was just a Japanese sub for other pnp transistors. Should I just switch it out or do I have another problem?

Also, sorry for the partial hijack.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.