Daddy's Junky Music closing stores

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by jefsut, Aug 21, 2011.

1. jefsut

jefsut Tele-Meister

Guitar players in New England are probably familiar with Daddy's Junky Music stores. Here in Rhode Island, the Warwick store is closing. Another sign of the times, I guess. Bad economy, the unstoppable rise of online retailing.

Change happens, not complaining.

But it still makes me a little nostalgic. I've bought a number of cool guitars at Daddy's over the years. You could walk in there and find some treasures, although not so much in recent years.

The one that just closed here in Warwick was across the street from a Guitar Center. That and Craigslist probably killed them. I wonder how long before they close up shop completely. Apparently they are closing other stores in their franchise.

2. tele-bastard

tele-bastard Friend of Leo's

WOW. I used to shop with them alot. Now it is GC for me.

3. Bolide

Bolide Friend of Leo's

Thanks for the heads up.

4. nasonm

nasonm Friend of Leo's

I bought my first instrument there, a Peavey Fury Bass and Basic 12 amp. Then, traded them in for my very first electric guitar, a 90s Custom Tele.

5. jefsut

jefsut Tele-Meister

Just to clarify, they're not closing all their stores, just certain ones. Still, I wonder if it's the beginning of the end for them.

6. Cunningham26

Cunningham26 Tele-Meister

im going to put this out there...i never liked daddys. they got stuck in that boston-rut where they catered to the WZLX or nu-metal crowds and didn't really pay much attention to the fact that those scenes came and left. Good on em' to stick with an image rather than GC which just wants to provide you with anything and everything you want so long as you're paying in cash, but it was ultimately their downfall, because they stayed in the sinking ship. I went to them a few times and got terrible customer service because i wasn't looking at the gibson les pauls, just immediately ignored.

Survival of the fittest I say, sorry to see a local brand go but when you don't adapt c'est la vie...

7. leftyfrank

leftyfrank TDPRI Member

That's a shame. I still think about the maple necked strat (used) I passed on sometime in the late nineties. It was a lefty and was a CIJ. My thoughts of course go out to the former employees.

8. DrumBob

DrumBob -------------------------

I interviewed with Fred, Daddy's owner, back in the early 80's. It would have meant a move to New Hampshire, a 6-day work week, and about $17K salary a year, which wasn't enough to get me to uproot my life.

9. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

I like Daddy's. Yes, it's a corporate chain, not a Mom and Pop store, but they are generally pretty good. As a chain store, it's probably one of the better ones.

I have found lots of good stuff there over the years.

I hope a little belt-tightening helps make Daddy's leaner and meaner... And more competitive. :idea:

10. krapyajleinad

krapyajleinad Former Member

Ive been to one of the stores once for a brief time in my first visit to the east coast, by chance (I was on strict sight seeing schedule); the one next to Berklee. I wasnt impressed by their stock as they seemed to have cheaper guitars (disregarding the quality) like MIMs, Squiers, Epiphones under the 600ish mark as floor models while storing anything American so high behind the counter they might as well have a mountain climbing wall with all the roping equipment to get to the guitars on top. I might have seen only one custom shop but thats it or if thats my memory having some fun out of me again. Their amp selection was a tad on the poor side too. Im not surprised that some are closing. Samething happened to a local shop here. They only carried the cheapest of the cheap Ibanez, Dean, Epiphone etc etc. They refused to carry Fender or anything more expensive than a grand cause they told me that all customers were going to do is play them till they break. :rolleyes: They didnt get with the program and they closed very recently. So I think, like GC, in order to have a successful guitar shop your going to have to sacrifice some expensive, quality, known brand guitars as floor models or at least have them available to the customers so they can play them without signing a thousand word waiver. Like Daves guitar shop or Jims Music in Socal while offering competative or stupid good deals on your gear with friendly service. If your a mom and pop shop itd be a lot easier for you to keep an eye on the folks, playing your pride and joy models casually from a distance, from totaling abusing it till the only thing its good enough for is fire wood or worse. Anyways thats my experience and two cents.

11. slotrod65

slotrod65 Tele-Meister

My local Daddy's here in Albany NY just closed. I loved the place as it always had a pile of junky used guitars on hand. I purchased quite a few guitars from them over the years, and then flipped them on ebay, so something was amiss.

As for why it was closed... it almost seemed as if corporate forgot about this store. There were never any events there, and it sort if felt deserted. They could not match Guitar Center's prices (they are about 2 miles away), or their selection. When Daddy's had their huge corporate warehouse sale, and a good percentage of equipment was sent to it, it never came back, they never really restocked, and the writing was pretty much on the wall.

I will miss it though...

12. leftyteletones

leftyteletones TDPRI Member

Bought some of my first electric guitars from them and my first amps way back early 80s....in Porstsmouth..always treated me well there. Great stores.

13. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

I knew everyone at all the stores having worked for UGBM.
    I myself have great memories of working there.
    I doubt if any of the original leaders of the pack are still involved.
    They threw the best parties and cookouts.
    It was perhaps the only Job I ever had that I felt like I was making a contribution daily.
    Were were like a family back then. 250% :cool:

It's hard to remember being so long ago but was Albany Johnny's store?
    Or was it Syracuse?

14. Geoff Charles

Geoff Charles Tele-Meister

I've got some great used gear from them for great prices over the years. Sorry to hear they are closing.

15. tele-bastard

tele-bastard Friend of Leo's

Yeah. Alot of their old employees were good. I have had quite of few deals there over the years too.

16. c.winn

c.winn Tele-Holic

Bummer.

I grew up in Maine, remember getting a really nice Epiphone G-400 there, and my first quality effects pedal - a CryBaby. I used to memorize their catalog....pages of fine print abbreviations for guitars, fingerboards, cases, etc. Great reading for a teenage boy.

17. KokoTele

KokoTele Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Funny, I'm in Albany too and never found much redeeming about that store. I didn't think their low end guitar usually had anything cool or funky about them, they were just run of the mill off brand student models. The good, or even decent guitars were all high up on the rack behind the counter, and there were only a dozen or so of them anyway.

Every once in a while they'd get a cool used item in, and they had a lawsuit Takamine 12 string (Martin copy) in there last summer that made me wish I had a handful of cash with me. This is a store I will not miss.

With Parkway Music reigning as the king of all local music stores, and Chris's Guitars across the river, all of my bases are covered.

18. slotrod65

slotrod65 Tele-Meister

"With Parkway Music reigning as the king of all local music stores, and Chris's Guitars across the river, all of my bases are covered."

I have to agree with you there. I love both.

19. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

i've always thought that daddy's was kinda shady, and very much stuck in 80s hard rock.

one of my friends has a story about years ago taking an amp there to get it fixed before tour, having them "loose" it, and later on seeing it for sale on the floor.

on the other hand, daddy's seems to do a much bigger turnover in used gear than anyone else in the area, to the point that i habitually stop in once in a while just to see what's turned up used there.

i also really don't like their check your bag at the door policy. i'm somewhere between a pro and a semi-pro photographer, and my camera goes where i go. and i don't trust the slacker at the door to actually pay attention to the bags in bag check.

20. JamesVRoy

JamesVRoy Tele-Holic

I remember when they only had the Salem NH store. It was great you used to be able to get some great stuff. Even for awhile after they got big you used to find some gems. The last great thing I got from them was a 64 Vibrolux Reverb for $550. I bought a 74 strat from them for $350. Its tough to compete now with the online stores, and eBay. Its not just guitar stores that are facing it. The market is somewhat saturated. Mars has been gone, how long now, 8 or 9 years?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.