1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Daddies, what's your guitar life/space like?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by jjlikesguitar, May 25, 2013.

1. jjlikesguitar

jjlikesguitar Tele-Meister

As a new dad I'd love to hear how you combine playing guitar in the house and being a father of a young child...?

Also, I'd love to see photos of / know what your guitar room / space is like!

I myself have a study room that I share with the wife. It has a Blackstar HT1R all valve amp that's very quiet and my guitars in a rack. I'm thinking of redoing that space and might have to opt for a smaller setup.

Looking for inspiration here and how you keep playing in between daipers, bottles and family activities ;-)

2. sir humphrey

sir humphrey Friend of Leo's

Understanding wife and headphones - a winning combination!

3. Badabing

Badabing Friend of Leo's

This^^^^^^^^^^^
    Could not have been said any better!!

I have twin girls that are now 4 1/2 years old so I have had a few years to work it out

I have found the following:

1)be very focused when you play. You will probablly only get about 20 min max at a time to practice so know what you are trying to acomplish

2) If you are learning songs or whatever get a good looper and A/B software or device that can keep you focused. I use a boss eband JS8

3)Be prepared to be interupted multiple times during that 20 min

4) Headphones are absolutely neccessary especially with a newborn!

5) When your child gets older involve them in your music study. Let them dance around the room while you play. let them use an old guitar to strum around on they will love it!!

I'm sure there is more but it has been one big haze for the last 4 1/2 years!!!

4. Skub

Skub Poster Extraordinaire

With our three I sat them down and explained quietly that if they disturbed daddy when he was playing guitar,I would chop off one of their body parts for every interruption. After the first couple of amputations everything went to plan. :cool:

5. Justinvs

Justinvs Poster Extraordinaire

Yep! If I'm playing one of my electrics it's almost always through either a Pocket Pod or a Boss ME-25. Even with an acoustic my wife thinks I'm too loud most of the time.

My guitars live behind our couch, set kitty-corner to the wall. Not the best situation, but it beats stuffing them in a closet where I could never dra them out. My amps, OTOH, live out in an old bunkhouse except for my '67 Super Reverb which has been laimed by the cats as the place to eat. At least my wife has finally allowed that there has to be a towel over it. I call it my $2K cat bench.

6. LawDaddy

LawDaddy Tele-Holic

Get them in your band when they are old enough. My daughter started playing bass in my band when she was about 15, and is now at USC studying music. :)

7. Justinvs

Justinvs Poster Extraordinaire

Curious, too, how do all of you practice singing when the family is home? I'm self-conscious about my voice to begin with, and whenever I retreat to the bedroom or bathroom to work out a key or just practice a song I'm learning the TV gets turned up louder or doors are slammed just to make sure I know how rude I'm being.

Yeah, it pisses me off a bit.

8. Badabing

Badabing Friend of Leo's

My Music corner

photo.jpg

9. tiskit86

tiskit86 Friend of Leo's

My music/guitar space...

[​IMG]

10. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

We had our first child 17 years ago but I remember it well. My wife (who loves acoustic guitar) suggested that I buy a good acoustic.

I bought a Martin D-15 and I grabbed it and played it whenever time allowed. My wife and baby daughter liked it and my hands got stronger and stronger.

It wasn't so much a matter of volume but it was the time and complication of amps and cables and pedals and power (and them the baby pooped or my wife needed a hand).

The simplicity of having a good acoustic guitar sitting in a guitar stand was a true joy.

I have a Line 6 Pocket Pod that I can plug in with my iPod or iPhone and I can rock out quietly to this day but playing some nice finger style acoustic when I have a spare 10 minutes is good for my sanity.

Food for thought and congratulations on becoming a dad!

11. Badabing

Badabing Friend of Leo's

The Wheels on the bus go.....
    :lol:

12. jjlikesguitar

*oops, double post*

Last edited: May 26, 2013
  13. jjlikesguitar

When my wife was pregnant I was afraid I'd hardly play again. Luckily she's been very supportive of my hobby, she understands it makes me happy. My daughter is now 7 months.

I get to play upstairs a couple of times a week, enough anyway. She sometimes even takes our little girl out for a stroll at the weekend so that I can play for an hour or so. Isn't that wonderful!

Of course I also take care of my father duties, and I'm enjoying that SO much.

Last edited: May 26, 2013
  14. mrspag

mrspag Tele-Meister

I have 3 kids aged 4, 6, and 8. For many years I hid my guitars and only played electric guitars unplugged at the house. I played with friends and a band but always practiced with others away from the homestead. Last year I convinced my wife to help me clean out the garage and turn it into a mancave. I have to help with the laundry (nonstop with 5 people in the house) but its a fair trade. It turned out to be the best thing I've done around the house. Keeps my gear safe, the kids play on some of the instruments when they are supervised, and I get my OWN place in our small house.

My main amps, Vox AC15 and AC 30 and one of my main guitars, AX 40

image-1652269633.jpg

The drummers view ;(

image-343377868.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 25, 2013
  15. flyswatter

flyswatter Friend of Leo's

I bought a Fender Mustang II that has a headphone jack, an auxiliary audio jack, and a USB. Hooked up to my laptop, which has Cubase, Fender Fuse and AmpliTube, I can do anything I want at night without disturbing the kids.

On Saturdays my wife takes the kids shopping. Then it's time to crank up the Super Reverb!

16. Daddy Hojo

Daddy Hojo Friend of Leo's

With all that laundry, you have built in soundproofing. Crank it up!

17. jjlikesguitar

Here's my guitar space, literally HALF of our room in the attic, devided by an IKEA Expedit ;-) The rest is my wife's space. I'm pretty happy with it.
    image-2274779236.jpg

I keep a small collection of pedals here (and use the spotlight when making YouTube videos):
    image-4083062256.jpg

And here's my desk and laptop (DVD lessons, backing tracks, internet access, etc). The looper sits on a music stand next to my desk.
    image-2403273971.jpg

I usually play my Blackstar amp and pedals using headphones when I need to be quiet. I used to use Guitar Rig 3, and tried various iPad guitar apps but I can't really get those to work for me. The HT1R is quiet enough to play at home, and you can really crank it when the family's out and still its volume is decent.

18. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I am a new dad too,so far no problem at all!

The baby loves music and electric gtr as long as I don't use excessive distortion (which I never use anyhow)

Here is a pic of my home studio

Attached Files:

19. Starrman44

Starrman44 Tele-Afflicted

I have a whole room.

I have four kids. The oldest (boy) is getting ready to turn six in about 10 days or so. The youngest (girl) is 11 months old. She is a little rug-rat, so I have to remember to keep the door closed all the way. I keep my guitars out on stands.

All of my kids, except the youngest, have been taught not to touch my guitars and not to go into my music room/office unless invited.

Usually, every couple nights or so, I invite them in and we party. They all love music and they love to sing. So, we sing kid's songs while I play.

If they get too wild and I can't reel them back in, then I have to kick them out to go play with other toys. They have a huge play room (in addition to their bedrooms) to play in and they have also commandeered what most would call a formal living room that just has a couple of chairs in it.

Anyhow, it's a pretty great set-up. I only worry about volume in relation to the neighbors. I've found that kids usually adjust to the normal noise level of a house. If you make the entire house silent during their sleeping hours, then they will have to have complete silence in order to go to sleep. Most nights they fall asleep to me playing the guitar (much like my wife used to fall asleep listening to her daddy play the piano). It brings back some sweet memories for my wife since her Dad died when she was 8.

20. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I saw this cool Doco once about music and early childhood,etc....

one experiment... they played a certain passage of music on a regular basic to a mother/child still in the womb up until birth....

3-6 mths later they filmed the baby as they played a mix tape of various songs to her....
    for the most part the baby wasn't that interested... until the first few notes of the pre=natal passage came on... and her eyes lit up and she smiled broadly....

they were playing her song... and she knew it straight away....

So.. if you play loud Tele music to your pregnant wife continually... the baby will think it's normal when it's born... pre programmed to the telecaster....

science don't lie, mate..;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.