D'addario v Ernie Ball 10-46

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by twangytonezz, Jun 30, 2011.

1. twangytonezz

twangytonezz Tele-Meister

Was wondering if anyone had any advice between the two? I normally buy in bulk and I've done D'addario all my life but wanting to switch it up and try out other string sets (so long as they are 10-46).

What do you guys think of Ernie Ball? Pros/cons compared to D'addario?

Or any other brands I should know about?

Playing blues on my strat and venturing into country on my tele if that impacts anything.

2. mellecaster

mellecaster Former Member

One of my Favorite and most consistent in the Shop are GHS Boomers.

3. BucksStudent

BucksStudent Banned

Ernie Ball... Just look at one of their packs and you'll find a guitarist you like who uses them. I hated them when I was a beginner and still hate them now; too slick feeling to me, and they don't last as long.

For a long time, I used GHS Boomers like Mellecaster above, and they were good.

Then I discovered Elixer Polywebs. Best ten bucks I have ever spent.

4. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've always used EB, never saw a reason to change until I started buying bulk single strings to make my own gauge sets for less. I haven't been able to tell any difference in feel or sound. Probably not a bit of difference, tho some will claim otherwise.

5. BucksStudent

BucksStudent Banned

Sure there is. Even within Elixer, you have Poly and Nanowebs. Both sound different, but are coated and made by the same company. Elixer sounds bright to me, but didn't feel right. When I switched to GHS, I liked the mellower sound and feel better.

6. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

I find D'addario too bright and twangy - don't play twang music, sometimes use Elixir - depends on which guitar.

7. BucksStudent

BucksStudent Banned

You play a Tele and don't Twang?:eek:

8. mrSlush50

mrSlush50 Tele-Meister

I use d'addario's. I've tried EB's and they are ok. I could use them in a pinch with no problems. I like the feel of the d'addario's. They are also a bit brighter as someone mentioned. This may be due to the fact that, at least to my fingers, they feel just slightly snappier or tighter. It's a subtle difference. I'd say you wouldn't be throwing strings away if you bought a bulk set of EB's to try them out. Even if you didn't like them as well as your d'addarios, you would most likely still be able to use them all up and then switch back.

9. theGecko71

theGecko71 Tele-Holic

By the godz, I love my Ernie Balls! Plus, I can treat them real bad and they don't break! Just like my telecaster. They are obviously a pair made in heaven.

10. JohnS

JohnS Friend of Leo's

I use Fender 250's like what came on my Tele and they be fine for me. D'Addario's are my second choice and what I use on my basses.

11. twangytonezz

twangytonezz Tele-Meister

Hows the life assuming I'm playing the same style with D'addarios and EB? I'm a student so saving $$$ is a priority, especially after having treated some recent GAS attacks....

Thanks for all the responses guys.

12. BucksStudent

BucksStudent Banned

I'm in college as well, and I buy Elixers - I save a little, and it saves money for me because they last a long time. :)

13. backalleyblues

backalleyblues Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Been a D'Addario guy for almost 30 years, I like the feel of them a LOT better than EBs, which feel very rough to my fingers. Used to use GHS Boomers, but I'd get occasional duds, something I've never had happen with D'Addarios. The old Fender Super Bullets were nice, as are the 150s, but they don't last half as long... and I don't care for coated strings, even the nanowebs feel weird to me...

Franc Robert

14. Mr. Esquire

Mr. Esquire Tele-Meister

After using D'Addario 10-46 for years, I experimented and tried a 10-46 set of Ernie Ball strings. The EB strings sounded great for a day or two because they were not as bright. After a few days, however, they sounded completely dead, IMO. In fairness, the EBs were easier to bend and 'slinkier' (if that's a word) than the D'Addarios.

If I were a professional musician on tour who bended my strings a lot and could afford to hire a guitar tech that would change the strings every two or three days, I might use EB strings.

Therefore, I use D'Addarios. :)

I now use .011-.049 D'Addario strings thanks to my Bigsby. :!:

15. Martin R

Martin R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The regular old lime green pack of Slinky's for me. The Tele sounds like a Tele.

I had the opposite experience from most of the above, to me the D'Addarios sounded rounder and less bright than the EB's. I put the D'Addarios on the 335.

16. Slann

Slann TDPRI Member

Ernie Ball Power Slinky....11-48.
    Works for me.

17. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Is there any truth to the rumor that there's only one string factory in America?

18. Dwills94

Dwills94 Tele-Meister

D'addario 11's all the way! they are slightly harder to bend but i play acoustic more than electric so the extra stiffness feels closer to home for me. and for some reason i always found myself breaking EB's

19. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Did GHS Boomers for ages on my Strats but for some reason only like D'ads on my Tele the past several years. Seem more tuning stable to me but likely just a mental thing.

20. BucksStudent

BucksStudent Banned

There's only one chocolate factory too. There was a documentary made on it in the seventies... I believe Gene Wilder was involved.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.