D'Addario Strings Good Customer Service

Quexoz

Tele-Meister
Usually D'Addario strings perform well and last me way longer then expected, but I had a bad run of breaking high E strings while installing new sets from three 3-packs (9 sets) I bought. Breaking at random places on multiple guitars, so not due to a sharp bridge or bur at the tuner holes, etc. Since it was a few of them and not just a one-off, I sent them an email about it just as information/feedback, not to complain or demand replacements.

I told them the strings had been laying around (unopened) for several months and were too old for warranty or whatever, and that I just wanted to let them know in case they had gotten other similar complaints and maybe needed to have a talk with their "metal supplier" about impurities or check their machines for issues, whatever the case may be.

They promptly sent me replacement sets of the correct balanced tension gauge, with two of the sets being premium NYXL upgrades + 5 spare NYXL E strings + a little string changing stand/neck support + a microfiber cleaning cloth. That is outstanding customer support in my book and thought they deserved a public "thank you" comment/review.

TLDR: Like them or not, they stand by their product and then some. Big thanks to D'Addario.

Last edited:

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
Heck yeah.

About 10 years ago they were selling string sets in bulk boxes that used aluminum string balls. The balls were collapsing in use, with the G and B strings cutting all the way through. I emailed Daddario to let them know, and they took good care of me.

Thanks for the report; I'm glad to know they still are responsive to their customers.

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
Usually D'Addario strings perform well and last me way longer then expected, but I had a bad run of breaking high E strings while installing new sets from three 3-packs (9 sets) I bought. Breaking at random places on multiple guitars, so not due to a sharp bridge or bur at the tuner holes, etc. Since it was a few of them and not just a one-off, I sent them an email about it just as information/feedback, not to complain or demand replacements.

I told them the strings had been laying around (unopened) for several months and were too old for warranty or whatever, and that I just wanted to let them know in case they had gotten other similar complaints and maybe needed to have a talk with their "metal supplier" about impurities or check their machines for issues, whatever the case may be.

They promptly sent me replacement sets of the correct balanced tension gauge, with two of the sets being premium NYXL upgrades + 5 spare NYXL E strings + a little stand/neck support + a microfiber cleaning cloth. That is outstanding customer support in my book and thought they deserved a public "thank you" comment/review.

TLDR: Like them or not, they stand by their product and then some. Big thanks to D'Addario.

I have always had great luck with their customer support - but you got more swag than I did....:(

Quexoz

Tele-Meister
I'm glad to know they still are responsive to their customers.

They surely are. I made it clear I was not looking for any reimbursement or whatever, but I've been stringing guitars and getting a feel for "failure rates" for 40 years, and just had a feeling there was a bad run or something and wanted to give them a time frame and location where mine came from in case it helped them sort out a problem. They reimbursed me anyway ++. I'd have been happy with a, "Thanks for the info, we'll look into it"...but honestly, was about to buy competitor strings next time.

but you got more swag than I did....:(

Yeah, and the NYXL's are a really nice touch. I always wanted to try them but could not justify the price...now, we shall see if they're worth it.

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
That's good to hear. I like and use some of their strings on guitar and other instruments.

They make really good music products and they are a standup company.

But more importantly they do outstanding work through their foundation supporting many groups. Their education outreach is remarkable. FWIW D'ad is a company I am happy to spend my money with.

'Tis the Season, they are year round.

Zoso420

Tele-Holic
About 7 years ago I also got a bad batch of strings from them in a 10 pack. When I was gigging I changed my strings once a week. I never thought to call customer support. I switched to GHS but I might give the Ds another shot.

stxrus

Poster Extraordinaire
Been a huge fan of D’Addario strings for 20+ years. In all that time I’ve only had two strings with rust/corrosion on them out of the package. I can’t remember when I last broke a string while playing.
It’s good to know their customer service is top notch

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Over the last few years, I've switched from D'addarios to a different brand phosphor bronze on acoustics ( it's a 'splitting hairs' thing with me),

- but all electrics get D'Addario XL's ( nickel roundwounds) - fantastic tone, last as long as needed , and I never break strings ( I know I change strings more often than I probably need)

Slip Kid

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I bought a set of Chromes that had a ball end on one string fall apart as it was being installed. I contacted them and they said a replacement string was on the way. A couple days later a whole new set arrived! They are tops in my book.

clingin_on

Tele-Meister

They promptly sent me replacement sets of the correct balanced tension gauge, with two of the sets being premium NYXL upgrades + 5 spare NYXL E strings + a little string changing stand/neck support + a microfiber cleaning cloth. That is outstanding customer support in my book and thought they deserved a public "thank you" comment/review.

Second that. I've been using tens for over twenty years now, and when I felt the need to deal with customer service they were great.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member

I've used their strings off and on through the years, but no stories to tell.
But where they helped me, is they recently started marketing a version of their "mini tuner" that, instead of a clamp, uses a small screw to mount on one of your tuning machines. It's the same tuner unit, just a different mounting system. I already owned six or so of the tuners, and keep them dedicated to their guitars. I contacted D'Addario to see if they would sell me just the mount bracket, and I could use them on my existing tuners. The reply I got said sorry, they don't sell just the mount......but the guy said he'd send me a couple at no charge to try. Sure enough, he did. D'Addario could have just politely said no, but they did SOMETHING for me. I love these little tuners because they're accurate, fast, and unobtrusive. (they hide behind the headstock) So.....cost them maybe a buck or two to give the mounts to me, but created immeasurable goodwill. ;)

telemaster03

Tele-Holic
Love the strings, love the NS tuners, love the string recycling program and I like the point thing for merch. Every time D’Addario is at a trade show they have great giveaways and their customer service is top notch.

drumtime

Tele-Afflicted
I'm not particularly loyal to a brand - I like D'Addarios, and have used regular Ernies for years. I recently got a couple of sets of GHS Boomers - the "Hendrix" set with lighter bottom strings -- to try, and discovered that one set had different gauges than the other. It was apparently mis-packaged at the factory. I called them, just to let them know, and the guy who answered agreed that it could happen, apologized, and sent 2 replacement sets out -- I had them in 2 days

Quexoz

Tele-Meister
I'm not particularly loyal to a brand -*snip*- GHS - I had them in 2 days

Good to hear. GHS is what I used regularly 25 years ago and who I was about to switch back to. Not sure why I switched now, maybe rust forming on them that does not on D'Addarios? Going "dead" sooner? Ernie Balls, Dean Markley and Fenders I only used for a very short time before D'Addario and left them quickly because they were the strings that did rust/break while playing. I play with a very light touch and just found them weak and short lasting. If strings break from me playing them, they're "junk" in my book.

I really have grown to like the .009 balanced tension (not just a marketing gimmick) strings from D'Addario, but did not see any such option with GHS except in bass strings?

Last edited:

Freeman Keller

Poster Extraordinaire
Not only does D'Addario have some of the finest customer support (as well as a great product), their technical information is incredible. String tension chart and calculator, tables of technical data for every one of their strings (so you can calculate tension, intonation, and all the other characteristics you might want to know). Their research director, Fan Tao (a fine violinist) has put on seminars at GAL conferences that have helped me understand this under appreciated part of our world.

Last edited:

GeneB

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I used D's .010-.046 on all my electrics for many years. My Gibson LP Traditional came stock with hybrid .009 - .046 and I tried and really liked GHS burnished nickle rockers on it. I now have them on my ES-339 and my Carvin CT6 too. The Strat and Tele have D's but when I use them up (I bought 10 sets) I'll try GHS on them too.

NoTeleBob

Friend of Leo's
I find them a notch warmer than GHS Boomers, my other alternative since I stopped using official factory strings (Fender & Gibson). I used to be a fan of "warmer", but not so much anymore.

Sax-son

Tele-Afflicted
I have used them for years and years with no problems whatsoever. I play them until they get stale and that's it. They sound good and are priced reasonable. No stories to tell here.

kennl

Tele-Afflicted
in a manufacturing environment like theirs, some defective product might get past quality control due to machine malfunction, worn tooling or substandard materials.
by notifying the company, you provided valuable information to them for preventing future issues
I worked with a QC Director who would always ask for a comment card at restaurants so he could volunteer performance improvement suggestions