Daddario strings break

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by eddiewagner, Nov 13, 2019.

1. eddiewagner

eddiewagner Poster Extraordinaire

hi guys, since summer my high strings are constantly breaking like this: after a bend they drop, I retune, they drop again, I retune and then they break at the ball. That never happened before. Happens on all kinds of guitars. What do you think?

tamer_of_banthas and Chiogtr4x like this.
  2. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Holic

Idk bad batch?

I use daddario exclusively and can't remember the last time I broke a string.

Geo, verb boten, unbridled and 10 others like this.
  3. Fred Rogers

Fred Rogers Tele-Afflicted

I never had a problem with D’Addario.

4. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's

A problem with your bridge maybe.

5. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

I think it maybe time to try some different brands. At least based on the limited info provided here. If the trend continues despite using different brands, maybe the issue is either something with your guitars (bridges, nuts) or playing style.
    I was using plain old Dean Markeley strings and liked them, tried the Blue Steel and liked them, but then I tried DR and REALLY liked them. That's what I've been using for the past year or so. I like the way they feel, the way they sound, and they seem to last longer for me than other brands do.

6. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Could be a bad batch or your bridge has an issue. I have broken 1 D'Addario string in probably 15 years.

I'm embarking on open A tuning so this rate may go up in the near furniture.:cry:

Chunkocaster, aging_rocker and Zepfan like this.
  7. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

So you are saying that this is happening on both acoustic and electric guitars ( bridges)

How long are strings on guitar (s) before breaking?

Are you stretching new strings when you install?

* as routine, I change all strings at the same time ( after 2-3 gigs, or a few weeks of home play), tune> stretch the entire string length > tune> stretch> tune
    ( use only D'Addario on electrics, and occasionally PB lights on acoustic)
    And never break strings (many years now)

unbridled likes this.
  8. spellcaster

spellcaster Tele-Holic

I recall D'Addario experiencing production problems many years ago that pertained to the string wrap at the barrel. There was a lot of complaints about breakage at the barrel then. One of the issues that plagued the company then was counterfeiting, and I don't know if the bad strings were the real McCoy or Cha'Ddario fakes. Those problems diminished after while, but by then I'd abandoned D'Addario and began using Gibson Brite Wires. Maybe D'Addario's having similar issues now. However, if they're not addressing it promptly, it might be worth considering using a different brand at least for a while.

P Thought and Charlie Bernstein like this.
  9. monkeybanana

monkeybanana Tele-Meister

I don’t remember the last time I broke a D’Addario string while playing and I’ve gone through a lot between acoustics and electric. Do you work on your own guitars?

boris bubbanov likes this.
  10. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

I use them and no problem

11. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's

Never had an issue with DAddario's. Most consistent quality of any strings I've played.

trahx, Shuster and Chiogtr4x like this.
  12. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire

I use them on acoustics and Telecasters, do not play “softly” and haven’t had a string break in so long I can’t remember when. Maybe 25-30 years ago one broke?

I believe D’Addario had some problems with counterfeit strings but that was quite awhile ago.

13. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

If your strings break at the ball, solder the ball ends. I always solder the E, B, & G strings. I also put a short length of Teflon impregnated heat shrink tubing over the string end, just enough to protrude slightly above the bridge plate. This way, you don't develop a sharp edge on the bridge plate. My D'Addario strings last until I change them, which is often a year or more, and I bend strings all over the place.

14. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

Could be an string issue, but I doubt it. It sounds more like a set-up issue with your guitars. On a well set-up guitar, bending shouldn't throw it out of tune. Could be binding at the nut, or an issue with the bridge saddles, the string getting hung up when you bend. Check those out, look for poorly cut nuts or burrs on the saddles. And use graphite (pencil lead) to keep the nut slots slippery.

Charlie Bernstein likes this.
  15. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Tele-Meister

Sounds more like a guitar issue, as mentioned above. I've played D'Addarios for many years without a problem.

Gene O. and Shuster like this.
  16. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Are they breaking at the ball end where the twist begins, or are they unwinding?

If you bend and they drop, retune, bend and they drop, that reads more as the winding is undoing than a break, which is usually a clean 'ping' and done. The dropping pitch post bend could be the string exceeding its elastic limit repeatedly, but that would normally be accompanied by random breaks as the load is fairly even along the string. Are they breaking -just- behind the saddle contact point?. Under tension, that'd be the saddle contact point, and 1200 grit emery or a pumice stone will redress that surface.

Counterfeit strings is a possibility, as is a bad batch. I bend like a mad, bendy thing and have found D'Addario to be quite robust and me resistant overall.

17. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

I only use Daddarios NB on acoustics. No prob.
    Which Daddario. I guess angle would not matter
    if you say yours are popping at the ball .

18. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I am wondering if your source in Deutschland is providing you with Counterfeit D'Ads.

I use a lot of D'Ads. A lot of them and they stay on many guitars, too long. And when a string breaks it ends up being another brand, almost all the time.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
  19. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Afflicted

It may be your bridge if I stretch them too much on my jazzmaster they break at the trem unit around the metal holes at the ball

Maybe just don’t stretch them as hard

20. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Afflicted

I have been using them for a long time with no issues. Check for burs on saddles etc. It shouldn't happen unless they are so old that they are getting brittle. I had a problem breaking G strings on one of my guitars ... a magnifying glass revealed the bur. a little Emory cloth and the problem was gone.

gkterry and boris bubbanov like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.