D'Addario 9.5 gauge strings?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Cheap guitar guy, Jun 1, 2019.

1. Cheap guitar guy

Cheap guitar guy Tele-Meister

Just curious if anybody has tried these. In particular on a 24.75 scale.

2. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

I have, I still need the .010 set myself, but they were maybe a bit better than the .009's. Which is obvious I guess! I may try again though.

3. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Doctor of Teleocity

Used them on my Hamer Sunburst and Yamaha SG45 (both 24.75 scale) since they came out. They sound great for ages, feel good, stay in tune well and are break-resistant even to my extreme bending.

Cheap guitar guy likes this.
  4. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Tele-Afflicted

I use them with my Tele, they're cool. Feels like 10's tuned to D# at 25'5

5. PBO Blues

PBO Blues Tele-Holic

Yep. Use them on my 24.75 scales and use 9s on my 25.5s. They end up feeling about the same, which was exactly the point.

6. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

I prefer the sound of 10's on the shorter scale guitars, but I use 9's, 9.5's, and 10's on all my Fenders (Tele, Strat). I might note that D'addario also makes a 10.5 gauge set that is great on Jaguars and Jazzmasters if there are any of those in your future.

Obsessed likes this.
  7. Orpingtons

Orpingtons Tele-Meister

One thing I know is that the guitar world is full of gimmicks and tall tales. 9.5 string gauge? Sure, because the difference between 9 and 10's is life changing. Come on now, plenty of great musicians have created milestones with 9s or 10s.

It's up to you, I won't say anything else, but I've learned to stay away from these gimmicks designed to get your money while you get very little, if anything, in return.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
  8. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I used them on my Classic 50s Lacquer Tele, because of the sticky board, 7.25” radius and stiff feel. It really made a difference while I learned the ways of fighting with skinny frets. Sure, 9s could of worked but then I’d think “oh ghee, I play wimpy strings now” all day. :lol:

9. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I'm waiting for the 9.75's to come out. The 9.5 might feel a little too sloppy.:)

10. AJ Love

AJ Love Friend of Leo's

The 9.5's don't cost anymore than 9's or 10's

micpoc, RyCo1983, RoyBGood and 2 others like this.
  11. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

9.5s give me exactly the feel I want out of my tele. Personal preference to be sure. I have never tried them on any of my 24.75 scale guitars, but I'm already happy with those and I run 10s on my strat. No gimmick and no extra expense, just great feel that deserves a great thank you to the ones here on TDPRI that told me about them and special thanks to D'Addario for making them. A surprising and amazing fit between 9s and 10s that people should try before poor poohing them.

12. burtf51

burtf51 Tele-Meister

to each his own, I prefer a custom gauge set on my electrics 11-13-17-26-36-46 but then I much prefer half step bends if I bend

13. gitold

gitold Friend of Leo's

I put 9.5s on all of my Fender scale guitars and 10’s on my Gibson’s. I break 9’s to easily. I have 10.5 on my ES 295 and 11’s on my arch tops. Why anyone would think it’s a gimmick is beyond me, and like AJ said they don’t cost any more. String are cheap and a great way to experiment with making your guitars as personal as you can. I have 8’s on a cheap Epi Les Paul special just for a goof! Life is short...Have fun and experiment.

Chino likes this.
  14. Chino

Chino Tele-Meister

Been using D’Addario 9.5s on my 24.75” scale Traveler guitar (great little guitar, no longer made) and my 25.5” scale Reverend Double Agent OG (see pics of both guitars). I love the 9.5s on these guitars because they’re a tad too difficult to play with 10s. My AVRI, on the other hand, is almost too easy with 10s. Anyway the 9.5s seem as durable as the 10s, stay in tune like 10s, and sound great like 10s. They provide just enough extra slinkiness to make these guitars a real pleasure to play. I highly recommend them.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
    carpenter likes this.
  15. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I've used them on my Tele's and Strat's for close to thirty years. They feel right to my hands. I may even put a set on my Les Paul the next time I change strings.

Full disclosure. I do have one Strat that gets an EXL-125 set and an Esquire that get's Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinkies.

So there.

Chino likes this.
  16. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I have a set on my PRS Mira and I'm undecided about them. I know 9s are not for me, but I do like that extra little slinky factor.

17. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Doctor of Teleocity

I also use them on my Strat and Tele, and amazingly, the feel and bendability is almost identical to my two 24.75" scale guitars.

Chino likes this.
  18. Georox

Georox Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG]

19. MattyK-USA

MattyK-USA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I use Reverend Willie G.'s 9.5's on my LP, and they work a treat. Everything else gets 10's. I do find myself having to warm up to "calibrate" and prevent over-bending, if I've been playing acoustic or the Tele for a while.

Chino likes this.
  20. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

I use 9.5s on my PRS S2. They just feel right, no gimmick IMO, and they don’t really cost any more than other gauge sets.
    I don’t have 24.75” scale guitar, the PRS is 25”

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.