Dad bod...it's really a thing.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by charlie chitlin, Apr 9, 2020.

1. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I was in physical therapy yesterday trying to get my aftermarket knee working and I made a comment to the PT (a handsome guy about 27) about how I was hoping to get in shape before bikini season.
    He's a funny guy and we riffed on that for awhile, but then he told me about Dad Bod.
    Oh, yeah (says he), it's a thing...a little extra weight looks like prosperity, stability, being established...
    I was pretty shocked.
    I had come across this before in a 3rd world country where I spent quite a bit of time growing up; but that was REALLY a place where most people couldn't get their hands on enough dough to get some extra weight on.
    If you did, folks thought (knew!) you were prospering.
    My wife, who is quite a bit younger than I, corroborated that this is something she and her friends have discussed. She was a bit uncomfortable with the "Dad" part because it's very clear to us that neither of us wants to be on either end of the Dad thing, but she definitely said that she and her friends, if not exactly attracted to Dad AGE men, are definitely attracted to someone who is a little...soft.
    I thought it was funny/interesting until I really began to wonder if we're creeping toward this 3rd world sort of mentality where women, consciously or not, are becoming more attracted to men, if not wealthy (I'm sure not!),but at least give the appearance of prosperity/stability; because that feels like someone who could keep a roof over head, food on the table and be a steady father.
    Careful, now...
    This could be a fun discussion.
    Don't get it shut down.

telestratosonic and tah1962 like this.
  2. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

Your saying just a little extra weight is a sign of a mature prospering man?

What point does that scale start to tip into obese unemployed?

Is there also a age group that is preferable?

3. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

4. Fretting out

It seems in the US the actual wealthy are usually pretty fit where the uneducated under privileged are usually more portly

Not discriminating just saying what I observe

catdaddy, rob5755, GGardner and 4 others like this.
  5. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

Somewhere where your weight outweighs your sensible professional advice. For engineers, that is a pretty high bar. I may have experience in that area...the more “experienced” engineers being on average more “dad boded”....not admitting to anything....just saying....

Actually, there is some data that “dad bod” slightly high on the BMI (just on either side of “overweight” line on the index) is of benefit to older men. The folks in that area tend to live longer and fewer medical complications in their dotage according to several studies. Of course, BMI completely ignores fat percentage, and perfectly heathy folks with relatively low fat percentages but high weight are over the BMI. And, people with too low a fat percentage become unhealthy.

Fretting out likes this.
  6. Verne Bunsen

Verne Bunsen Tele-Afflicted

Creeping that way? I believe it is kind of a cornerstone of human attraction. The indicators of a mate who is able to provide for us may change with time, but I believe attraction to those indicators has been and continues to be a key ingredient in the biological, uh, pie...

7. Fretting out

I couldn’t agree more skinny isn’t necessarily healthy
    And I bet a lot of heavy people will outlive people that jog and do strenuous exercise

There’s a fine line for both sides

8. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

OK...I googled it.
    Lotsa stuff there.
    All kinds of theories and implications.
    Mama Chitlin did, now that I think of it, talk about being aware of the pressure that men can feel to have a tight body...this stuff is no longer just for the ladies...and how this could be liberating for guys who are showing no signs of ever having a 6-pack.
    Lotsa talk out there about the need for women to have a positive body image, but not much for the fellas...until now.
    I think I'll still try to drop another 15 or 20 and will not be jeopordizing my Dad Bod.

Fretting out likes this.
  9. Otis Fine

Otis Fine Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I’ve had a dad bod since I was 6 years old.

ieatlions, drlucky, kylejf90 and 10 others like this.
  10. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Afflicted

.... hey... I got a six pack.... just about done with it though. no worries, I got another

ieatlions, NightOwl, drlucky and 7 others like this.
  11. scooteraz

Then I would submit that you’re not paying attention,. I notice plenty of fit looking uneducated and fat educated. I further submit that you are letting your biases play into this “observation”. Heck, I’ve had good doctors all over the BMI ranges over the years. I know any number of fat and skinny lawyers. Teachers with master’s degrees and PhDs all over the map.

There are really smart, educated folks who LOVE to eat and don’t much appreciate exercise. They can afford the gourmet food, and aren’t going to, without a genetic predisposition to burn calories at a prodigious rate, stay skinny.

What I think you are noticing is the effect the low price of calories in the modern (1st and now 2nd) world creates. If you are poor and can get your fill, and don’t have a lot to do, you’re going add weight. If you eat a lot and have a lot of physical outlet, you will burn more. Heck, I’ve experienced this myself. When I have a lot of physical work to do, and plenty of opportunity to exercise, I eat somewhat less, and tend to lose weight. But, if all I can do because of a project is set at my desk and work (and eat), I bulk up.

koen and Harry Styron like this.
  12. scooteraz

Why have a 6-pack when you can have the keg?

dogmeat and Fretting out like this.
  13. RCinMempho

RCinMempho Friend of Leo's

I don't think it is the educated thing.

I think it is more a belief that guys like that are less self-centered and more likely to focus on enjoying life.

skitched likes this.
  14. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

:lol:
    This has always been the deal and it always will be

beninma, Toto'sDad and Fretting out like this.
  15. Fretting out

After I wrote that I knew I worded it badly,

16. Fretting out

Ha this reminds me of what my dad says, I wouldn’t call him obese but I would say he’s heavy, he always says “I don’t have a six pack, I have a keg”

17. cometazzi

cometazzi Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I'm 45 and all I hear from anyone is "go to the gym and quit being such a fatass"

So YMMV

DrPepper likes this.
  18. scooteraz

I would love to go to the gym, but....guess I will continue to be a fatass for a bit. Though, the past few days I have had a fair amount of physical work.

A friend of mine and I were going at a “Lard-Off” for most of last year. Ironically the winner was supposed to get a steak dinner at a nice restaurant with all the fixings as the prize (with spouses).

19. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Whew, I thought this thread was going to be about dead bodies.

Censport and skitched like this.
  20. scooteraz

Not dead yet...Monte Python
    There's a big difference between mostly dead and all dead. Mostly dead is slightly alive. With all dead, well, with all dead there's usually only one thing you can do....Miracle Max

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.