Dachshund sticker shock

Mechanic

Friend of Leo's
Wife just paid $500 for miniature poodle and min schnauzer mix. Little guy only weighs in at 4.5lbs wet. Personality by the ton. And loyal only to the wife. Smart as all get out. He’ll fall for a trick to snatch and crate him only once. If you tire him out really well during the day. he’ll cuddle up until bed time and thank you when we put him in his crate. Look around for a pup in need. You’ll be glad you did.

Dave W

Poster Extraordinaire
Here's a link to a site I found with purebred puppies for reasonable prices:

Those are Amish puppy mill puppies. Amish country in Pennsylvania is full of them. Run away!

Checked with a friend who knows, around here a pet quality dachshund from a reputable breeder will be in the neighborhood of $2500. Show quality will be more, of course.

Pet store/puppy mill puppies usually suffer from ill breeding practices. The Amish view them as livestock. No kidding.

PCollen

Friend of Leo's
I want to buy a dachshund. Had one for 14 years when I young. I think they are adorable. My last three dogs were all rescue dogs, the last was a Goldendoodle who never stopped being a puppy. He died naturally, old age.

A large chain pet store in Racine has a 10 week old female dachshund that is chipped, comes with food and a crate and shots and toys and everything imaginable. They went on and on about the quality of the breeder.

Adorable.

2264972_800.jpg

$5,500.

I’ve paid $5,500 for English Saddle trained horses.

I’m obviously out of tune. I was thinking $2000. I’d happily pay $2000-ish.

I’ll keep checking the humane society. I understand that it’s a wonderful 14+ year life enriching thing. Is $5,500 a lot or is that common now days?

They are selling the pedigree, not the dog.

spupilup

Tele-Meister
I don’t know if anyone has made this suggestion but I’ve had Bouviers, Pulik and Komondorok over the last 40 years and not one has cost me anything because I have worked with breed specific rescue organizations.

Back in the ‘80, I reached the decision I wanted a Bouvier des Flandres and began contacting breeders. I was typically quoted prices in excess of $2k and thus was in the ‘80’s! Someone suggested I contact a group that re-homed Bouviers. They put me through a grilling, asking about my experience, home, job, ect. I wound up with a 6 month old a short while later. He was a magnificent dog.

As I type this, I have an amazing Komondor laying on my feet. He was re-homed from a family in SC. I drive from CT to SC to pick him up with my wife almost 4 years ago. He just turned 5 a couple of weeks back and with maturity has turned into an incredibly trustworthy and loyal guardian. He cost us the gas to get to SC and a $25 fee to get his AKC paperwork.

Most of the 7 dogs i adopted in this manner needed re-homing because people bit off more than they could deal with, especially with the larger breeds. One Puli was free from a breeder who said he had a heart murmur but it was much more than that. It could have been a disaster but both the dog and I were lucky. The other Pulik were re-homed because of an owners illness and an owner losing their home. All but the one Puli with a “heart murmur” were healthy and lived normal lives.

spupilup

Tele-Meister
I don’t know if anyone has made this suggestion but I’ve had Bouviers, Pulik and Komondorok over the last 40 years and not one has cost me anything because I have worked with breed specific rescue organizations.

Back in the ‘80, I reached the decision I wanted a Bouvier des Flandres and began contacting breeders. I was typically quoted prices in excess of $2k and thus was in the ‘80’s! Someone suggested I contact a group that re-homed Bouviers. They put me through a grilling, asking about my experience, home, job, ect. I wound up with a 6 month old a short while later. He was a magnificent dog.

As I type this, I have an amazing Komondor laying on my feet. He was re-homed from a family in SC. I drive from CT to SC to pick him up with my wife almost 4 years ago. He just turned 5 a couple of weeks back and with maturity has turned into an incredibly trustworthy and loyal guardian. He cost us the gas to get to SC and a $25 fee to get his AKC paperwork.

Most of the 7 dogs i adopted in this manner needed re-homing because people bit off more than they could deal with, especially with the larger breeds. One Puli was free from a breeder who said he had a heart murmur but it was much more than that. It could have been a disaster but both the dog and I were lucky. The other Pulik were re-homed because of an owners illness and an owner losing their home. All but the one Puli with a “heart murmur” were healthy and lived normal lives.

Mjark

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I want to buy a dachshund. Had one for 14 years when I young. I think they are adorable. My last three dogs were all rescue dogs, the last was a Goldendoodle who never stopped being a puppy. He died naturally, old age.

A large chain pet store in Racine has a 10 week old female dachshund that is chipped, comes with food and a crate and shots and toys and everything imaginable. They went on and on about the quality of the breeder.

Adorable.

2264972_800.jpg

$5,500.

I’ll keep checking the humane society. I understand that it’s a wonderful 14+ year life enriching thing. Is $5,500 a lot or is that common now days?
Seems way high. Plus don't trust pet stores. Go directly to a breeder.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I used to play golf with a guy who had three dachshunds that loved to ride in the car with him. They took turns hopping up on the back seat while he was driving and biting the back of his neck and nipping his ears. They ALL seemed to enjoy the whole experience.

Bones

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Those are Amish puppy mill puppies. Amish country in Pennsylvania is full of them. Run away!

Checked with a friend who knows, around here a pet quality dachshund from a reputable breeder will be in the neighborhood of $2500. Show quality will be more, of course.

Pet store/puppy mill puppies usually suffer from ill breeding practices. The Amish view them as livestock. No kidding.
What happens in the Amish puppy mills is beyond horrific, not just to the puppies but to the "breeding stock".

moosie

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
If you're looking for a purebred, contact the breeders directly. Anybody who always has pups available is also almost certainly a puppy mill. Anybody who won't let you meet the parents, same. Anybody who doesn't want to screen you and your situation, same. Good breeders are in it for the good of the breed, not to make money.
Yep. When we were arranging to get our first English Bulldog, I had only owned a dog as a kid, and not for 20 years. I must have asked some questions that demonstrated my ignorance, because the breeder began throwing more difficult screening questions at me. I must have passed, so we were all set. The mom was due to deliver in a month, and we had to wait two more after that.

After the pup was born, we were sent baby pics.

But then, with about a month to go, the breeder contacts me. She had sold a dog to another breeder, and now the person wanted to return the 6 month old dog, because they didn't like how the ears turned out. (Really? argh). My breeder was not happy, and was trying to sell the dog to me "with no waiting!".

I said, wait, you want us to take TWO dogs? No, no, this one instead of the other one.

I said, you've got to be kidding. Our whole extended family can't wait for this little guy. We've named him, etc etc. His "grandparents" (my dad) is planning to visit right after we get him...

What can I say, we were excited.

Once she realized this, she was very apologetic, and I'm sure crossed off any questionable marks about our suitability.

This was in 2000. Stewart would have cost $2400 if we wanted to breed him. His dad was former champion in England, blah blah.

But if we just wanted him as a pet, the cost was $1200. While I'd have preferred to leave the boy intact, we had no breeding plans, so under the knife he went. And I still remember the look he gave me when I picked him up from the procedure.

We had a wonderful 12 years together. It's been nearly a decade, and I still miss him, just about as much as I can bear.

stewie and colin.jpg

Twofingerlou

Tele-Holic
First off DO NOT BUY FROM A PET STORE!! FIND A REPUTABLE BREEDER AND DO YOUR HOMEWORK!

The pet store dogs are often puppy mill dogs and people only in it for the sole purpose of money. Not the health or well being of the dog, I don’t care what breed it is.

I drove four hours to get my male GSD after doing homework on breeders for months, calling and talking to them ect. The gal I found was awesome and is a animal nut. She won’t breed unless they are all health tested, pass a negative test for DM ect which can be a isssue with GSD’s.

I spent 1500$ on him with impeccable blood lines, negative DM tests from mom and dad. He’s pretty high drive and wound for sound but he’s got one of the best personality’s I’ve had in a dog.

The rescue could be a good option and I tried to go this route. The local pound could care less I think on who walks in. But from my findings with breed specific places they tried to make me jump through too many hoops. A couple of them wanted credit info and background checks, nah I’m good on that. Some of them were too invasive for my taste. I have nothing to hide but really going that far? One place wanted almost 800$ to adopt a GSD.

I tried to work with some of these places and offer references, vet info/reference, pics and video of my female and how well taken care of she is, it wasn’t good enough so that’s what led me to find breeders.

End of the day as I said above just do your homework.

perttime

Friend of Leo's
Yep. When we were arranging to get our first English Bulldog, ....
We had a wonderful 12 years together. It's been nearly a decade, and I still miss him, just about as much as I can bear.
I believe that is a long life for an English Bulldog.

I think you should save that $5,500 because you'll need it to pay the vet bills (if and when they occur). I learned that the hard way! Cute little puppy!!
We took an isurance for our puppy. Not sure what it costs in USA.
In our case the money was well spent. The kid has some liver issues, and the insurance has covered most of the costs for testing, tissue samples etc.

Our previous dog had an accident as a puppy and broke several bones in her front paw. No insurance. That wasn't cheap.

StratDal

Tele-Afflicted
I'm sure he's a heck of a dog but no pet is worth thousands of dollars. And don't get me started on pet care...

sloppychops

Tele-Afflicted

Adorable.

2264972_800.jpg

$5,500.

I really have no idea what breeders are charging for purebred dogs, but this sounds ridiculous.

When I went looking for a dog for my son and me in 2011, purebreds were out of the question. I didn't even want a purebred because of all the inbreeding that goes on. So I went the Humane Society route. We got a Jack Russell/Corgi mix puppy that has been absolutely wonderful. If I remember correctly, the bill came to a little over $200 out the door.

IMG_1898.jpg