Dachshund sticker shock

Fenderdad1950

Friend of Leo's
I want to buy a dachshund. Had one for 14 years when I young. I think they are adorable. My last three dogs were all rescue dogs, the last was a Goldendoodle who never stopped being a puppy. He died naturally, old age.

A large chain pet store in Racine has a 10 week old female dachshund that is chipped, comes with food and a crate and shots and toys and everything imaginable. They went on and on about the quality of the breeder.

Adorable.

2264972_800.jpg

$5,500.

I’ve paid $5,500 for English Saddle trained horses.

I’m obviously out of tune. I was thinking $2000. I’d happily pay $2000-ish.

I’ll keep checking the humane society. I understand that it’s a wonderful 14+ year life enriching thing. Is $5,500 a lot or is that common now days?
Keep on touch with the pet shop/puppy. If they haven't sold the puppy as it gets older, the price will drop. Personally I am on my 3rd wheeler. I got many stories, but the best conveyance would be intelligence (akin to a Border Collie that I had), seriousness
20200419_093747~3.jpg
(dedication to a task) mistrust of strangers and dedication to its owner (akin to a Doberman that I owned) Good luck

Pointmonger

Tele-Afflicted
Please don't buy a dog from a pet store. There's a reason states are passing laws forbidding them to sell dogs.

Find a rescue or look for a reputable breeder.

I rescued a husky/heeler mix puppy. Unfortunately, about a month after getting her, she became very sick and was diagnosed with a severe liver shunt. $15k later and she's a model of good health.

Attachments

• 20220109_152459.jpg
    20220109_152459.jpg
    414.5 KB · Views: 12

SacDAve

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
That price might be reasonable for a AKC registered champion. Most pet shops are notorious for having not the best choice for puppys seemed to high rate of being tied to puppy mills. I would check the AKC website that will give you a good idea of a reasonable price. The price of puppys has also skyrocketed.
https://marketplace.akc.org/puppies/dachshund?breed=89&page=1

beninma

Friend of Leo's
Best dog I ever had cost me $11. Mind you, you could not identify any strain of his muttness, but he was a good buddy.

This.. what does "reputable" even mean for a breeder when almost the entire purpose of modern breeding is to produce cosmetically uniform dogs of extreme inbreeding with all kinds of genetic health problems... I feel bad for purebred dogs and all the pain and suffering they endure so that people can have a dog with certain cosmetics.

Get a cross breed or something bred for fitness/intelligence/health, if that even exists outside of very narrow working dogs.

Greg70

Tele-Holic
I paid around $600 for a purebred collie from a private breeder about 15 years ago.

Have you tried looking on petfinder.com? You can put in your location and what breed you want and it will show you all of the dogs available.

Bones

Telefied
Ad Free Member
First of all, the puppy has been taken from its mother too soon. Secondly, only puppy mills sell puppies to puppy stores. Quality breeders do not sell through stores. Please do some research and contact a breed specific rescue for guidance.

Bones

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Man, when I think of my last trip to the local shelter, and I think of how far $5000 would go . . . . But I understand about wanting a breed.
The original owners of our dog paid close to $6.5k for him PLUS the cost to have him shipped halfway across the planet. 4 years later he was in a shelter and then taken in by a breed specific rescue where we adopted him for a $300 donation.

Bones

Telefied
Ad Free Member
This is much better......

Reputable breeders have waiting lists, they don't have available puppies to sell to strangers on the internet.

FenderGyrl

Poster Extraordinaire
I want to buy a dachshund. Had one for 14 years when I young. I think they are adorable. My last three dogs were all rescue dogs, the last was a Goldendoodle who never stopped being a puppy. He died naturally, old age.

A large chain pet store in Racine has a 10 week old female dachshund that is chipped, comes with food and a crate and shots and toys and everything imaginable. They went on and on about the quality of the breeder.

Adorable.

2264972_800.jpg

$5,500.

I’ll keep checking the humane society. I understand that it’s a wonderful 14+ year life enriching thing. Is $5,500 a lot or is that common now days?
Go to the Dachshund Rescue Site.
They are in a few states. They will work with you. The cost is only a few hundred bucks which goes to a good cause. 3 of my 4 Doxies are/were rescues. All were uniquely wonderful. Pet Stores are awful IMO.
FG

Last edited:

SPUDCASTER

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
What I don't understand is the price they're getting for mutts.

A girl that works at our nursery paid $1000 for a Corgi-Heeler mix. He's very cute, but $1000?

My wife's ex-sister-in-law paid $2200 for a Corgi-Mini Aussie mix. $2200?

We have purebred Mini Aussie's and couldn't sell them for $500. We quit the whole process.

$5500 seems way out of line. PASS

With that kind of investment. That dog would be going to the vet every 6 months for a full physical.

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
Reputable breeders have waiting lists, they don't have available puppies to sell to strangers on the internet.
quoted for truth. When we got our golden retriever, we had to apply and wait 6 months or so and drive to oregon to get him. We paid 1800.00 which was the result of a thoughtful breeder who bred them thoughtfully. We got daily updates and pics and the group of parents are still in a text group where everyone shares how the bros and sisters are doing.

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
Platinum Supporter
The whole dog thing is way out of hand.
I guess spay/neuter awareness is good...as are leash laws...but the big loss is the milk crate with a towel and free puppies in it.
And, the thing to remember about pedigree dogs is, if your family all slept together for generations, you'd all look the same and you'd all be dumb as a box of rocks.
Probably mean, too.
I’m not saying it’s common because I think My family has terrible pet luck but out of the ten or so pure bred dogs we had when I was growing up, 5 had issues related to genetics

Last edited:

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
OP - The pet store wants more for that puppy than I put down on my first house. And that's about twice what my first car cost - and it was a convertible Olds with a V8. So, no.

I was looking into getting a corgi a while back, and breeders were asking $1500-2500. Which is HALF that.

Craigslist and google up "Dachshund breeders near me."

BTW - one of my favorite stickers I've ever seen on a car was an oval with a dachshund in it, and the words:
"I trip over my wiener" 🐕

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
The whole dog thing is way out of hand.
I guess spay/neuter awareness is good...as are leash laws...but the big loss is the milk crate with a towel and free puppies in it.
And, the thing to remember about pedigree dogs is, if your family all slept together for generations, you'd all look the same and you'd all be dumb as a box of rocks.
Probably mean, too.
I've always had pound puppies until our newest dog. We've always had good dogs too....including this one.

nostalgia is mostly not accurate. The crate of puppies was usually not a great situation and often the outcome for many of those dogs was not good.

There are still way more dogs than owners and way more suffering than should be tolerated by any of us.

Also, it is a myth that properly bred dogs are failures. Poorly bred dogs have itinerant issues but that is when people do things incorrectly and not thoughtfully.

FenderGyrl

Poster Extraordinaire

Adorable.

2264972_800.jpg

$5,500.

J,
I checked and there are a few Doxie Rescue Sites in Wisconsin.
FG

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter

Adorable.

2264972_800.jpg

$5,500.

Here's a link to a site I found with purebred puppies for reasonable prices: