Dachshund sticker shock

Hiker

Poster Extraordinaire
Complete with Jen-u-wine AKC papers listing the actual parents? Wait, for that kind of money, both parents are AKC registered Champions, right?
🤣

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
That seems obscene.
Not saying that isn’t the going rate.
Just saying.
kinna like the prices of Dumble amps, it's not an issue of cost, it's really an issue of how much do you want it.

perttime

Friend of Leo's
I've never had a dachshund. But the way we got a puppy over a year ago seems like a good approach:
- check out a breed association website.
- see which breeders have puppies coming (the ones that were born were already reserved).
- contact a breeder (or four). One says that there's already too many interested people in line. Visit a nearby breeder (later she sends a message that it was a false alarm: no puppies this time).
- one breeder calls and says she has enough that we can have one (call the fourth breeder to say we already have a puppy coming)
- visit the breeder and puppies at around 4 weeks old, in the breeder's home.
- the breeder thinks it over and assigns a puppy that she thinks suits our situation and wants best.
- pick up the puppy at around 8 weeks old. He comes DNA tested to confirm his pedigree, tagged, registered at our national kennel association, checked by a vet, wormed, etc, and with a bunch of stuff that is useful for a puppy.

The price we paid was €1,200, which is probably irrelevant for things going on in USA.

Puppy pic from the first days with us.

Attachments

• Sumu2.jpg
    Sumu2.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 11

Duck Herder

Tele-Meister
I want to buy a dachshund. Had one for 14 years when I young. I think they are adorable. My last three dogs were all rescue dogs, the last was a Goldendoodle who never stopped being a puppy. He died naturally, old age.

A large chain pet store in Racine has a 10 week old female dachshund that is chipped, comes with food and a crate and shots and toys and everything imaginable. They went on and on about the quality of the breeder.

Adorable.

2264972_800.jpg

$5,500.

I’ve paid $5,500 for English Saddle trained horses.

I’m obviously out of tune. I was thinking $2000. I’d happily pay $2000-ish.

I’ll keep checking the humane society. I understand that it’s a wonderful 14+ year life enriching thing. Is $5,500 a lot or is that common now days?
Pet store animals come from mills.
Check the paper or whatever avenues you use to find things.
Meet the people, meet the parents and choose a puppy from the litter.

boxocrap

Tele-Afflicted
I want to buy a dachshund. Had one for 14 years when I young. I think they are adorable. My last three dogs were all rescue dogs, the last was a Goldendoodle who never stopped being a puppy. He died naturally, old age.

A large chain pet store in Racine has a 10 week old female dachshund that is chipped, comes with food and a crate and shots and toys and everything imaginable. They went on and on about the quality of the breeder.

Adorable.

2264972_800.jpg

$5,500.

I’ve paid $5,500 for English Saddle trained horses.

I’m obviously out of tune. I was thinking $2000. I’d happily pay $2000-ish.

I’ll keep checking the humane society. I understand that it’s a wonderful 14+ year life enriching thing. Is $5,500 a lot or is that common now days?
what a sweetie

ghostwolf

Tele-Holic
Here's another vote for searching out a rescue service near you. They network nation-wide to home the dogs they rescue; the pup will be in decent health, shots & worming taken care of, etc.
Best part?
The $200.00 pup will love you at least as much, (if not more 'cause you rescued him), as the $5000.00 dog would.

omahaaudio

Friend of Leo's
We have a friend that's half dachsund, half chihuahua (see avatar) and the total cost from the Humane Society was around $200 and included chipping, spaying and a course of lessons when she was a few months older.

Get a mutt.

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
We have a friend that's half dachsund, half chihuahua (see avatar) and the total cost from the Humane Society was around $200 and included chipping, spaying and a course of lessons when she was a few months older.

Get a mutt.
mmmm 😉 get a mutt, that's real talk.

I was thinking about Puppy Mills😲
.https://www.animalsangels.org/issues/puppy-mills-and-dog-auctions-0?gclid=CjwKCAiA55mPBhBOEiwANmzoQl5vyhvLZA5l1OdCwQ5JV5pVYJa78wDfW1wck-JtXlQU8ALhfs3iNhoCFtIQAvD_BwE

charlie chitlin

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
The whole dog thing is way out of hand.
I guess spay/neuter awareness is good...as are leash laws...but the big loss is the milk crate with a towel and free puppies in it.
And, the thing to remember about pedigree dogs is, if your family all slept together for generations, you'd all look the same and you'd all be dumb as a box of rocks.
Probably mean, too.

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
No reputable breeder would sell their pups through a retail store, full stop. That's full-on "puppy mill" behavior.

If you're looking for a purebred, contact the breeders directly. Anybody who always has pups available is also almost certainly a puppy mill. Anybody who won't let you meet the parents, same. Anybody who doesn't want to screen you and your situation, same. Good breeders are in it for the good of the breed, not to make money.

Do your homework, and you'll find a great dog, and probably for a lot closer to what you say you're willing to pay.
+100. Never buy a pet or anything else from a store that sells ‘purebred’ dogs.

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Many years ago I had a friend who raised em and I can tell you right now, he never got anywhere near that sort of dough for his AKC pedigreed pups! I think the most was like 2-300 bucks. There's no way in the world I'd pay 1000's of bucks for any dog. Go to rescue shelters, pay for the shot fees, and save an animal from certain doom. You'll be doing yourself a favor as well as the animals ;)