Dachshund sticker shock

JSMac

Tele-Afflicted
Oh boy, my favorite breed. . I'd always had larger dogs, mostly mutts. One day my wife said she knew someone with dachshund pups for sale. We were between dogs and we wanted to get another. But a weiner dog? I didn't think so. Long story short, I went to take a look and that was it. He was the last of a litter of smooth red minis and he was the runt to boot. Purebreed but no papers. $35 and home with us he went.

Frank was with us for 16 years. Small and fiesty full of love he was. He really was the coolest dog we ever had.

I've looked into getting another but just can't justify the price. I've kept an eye for a rescue but purebreds just don't come up. There are a lot of rescue mixes available, mostly dachshund/chihuahua crosses. They're pretty cute too so we may give one of them a home someday.

Last edited:

stantheman

Doctor of Teleocity
Christmas is over which means - very shortly thousands of puppies & kittens will be brought to Shelters by the Idiots, Imbeciles and Morons who are facing the reality that indeed they were Idiots, Imbeciles and Morons for thinking that they had a clue.
The Shelters most of them are connected by The Internet. Go IN PERSON - that's important - ask the volunteer You'd like to speak with the person who handles interstate adoptions.
Look at who has arrived. Go every week so they get who You are.
Going online to The ASPCA might be a decent last resort. We are on cusp of the "adoption season surge."
Good Luck To All especially The Furry People.

Gimble

Tele-Meister
Oh boy, my favorite breed. . I'd always had larger dogs, mostly mutts. One day my wife said she knew someone with dachshund pups for sale. We were between dogs and we wanted to get another. But a weiner dog? I didn't think so. Long story short, I went to take a look and that was it. He was the last of a litter of smooth red minis and he was the runt to boot. Purebreed but no papers. $35 and home with us he went.

Frank was with us for 16 years. Small and fiesty full of love he was. He really was the coolest dog we ever had.

I've looked into getting another but just can't justify the price. I've kept an eye for a rescue but purebreds just don't come up. There are a lot of rescue mixes available, mostly dachshund/chihuahua crosses. They're pretty cute too so we may give one of them a home someday.

This is my other rescue Avalon, she’s a Chih-weenie, and the gentlest most well behaved dog I have ever had!

She’s also from Dachshund Rescue of South Florida:

58A85033-B57A-450F-A8C5-C0B582AFF76C.jpeg

elihu

Doctor of Teleocity
Yeah, we have one too. I’ve had lots of dogs but our dachshund is special. First of all it has the most personality of any dog ever. She’s assertive in a good way if that makes any sense. She will wander the house to check on her people. She’ll jump on the couch and pry your arm away from your side with her nose to get next to you. And she dominates our other dog, a Dobie-shepherd mix. Best dog ever!

Attachments

• 7179FE77-8DE4-46CA-BA50-E2A54E038D2E.jpeg
    7179FE77-8DE4-46CA-BA50-E2A54E038D2E.jpeg
    130.9 KB · Views: 9

ChicknPickn

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Man, when I think of my last trip to the local shelter, and I think of how far $5000 would go . . . . But I understand about wanting a breed.

ce24

Poster Extraordinaire
Here is our 15 it old rescue... Thinks she's a dog... We rescued her 2 years ago.... Was breeder and didn't know happiness... She does now!

Attachments

• PXL_20210106_201821644.jpg
    PXL_20210106_201821644.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 9

KokoTele

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
A tiny bit of googling shows that price is way, way too high. You'll pay less buying directly from a reputable breeder.

Most of the chain pet stores have supposedly cleaned up their acts regarding puppy mills, but I still won't even set foot in one.

tarheelbob

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
No reputable breeder would sell their pups through a retail store, full stop. That's full-on "puppy mill" behavior.

If you're looking for a purebred, contact the breeders directly. Anybody who always has pups available is also almost certainly a puppy mill. Anybody who won't let you meet the parents, same. Anybody who doesn't want to screen you and your situation, same. Good breeders are in it for the good of the breed, not to make money.

Do your homework, and you'll find a great dog, and probably for a lot closer to what you say you're willing to pay.
^^^^
This
this
this
this!

Run, do not walk, away from this. No breeder, NO BREEDER of any repute sells through chain stores.

Check out https://www.gooddog.com/ for reputable breeders. You won't pay that kind of highway robbery, maybe more in the $3000 range for a top quality, fully documented, HEALTHY dachshund.

- Bob

Cpb2020

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
We’ve heard that there was a bit of an increase in dogs to shelters as folks were being pressured to go back to work in person this past fall. If you’re patient, I suspect that they’ll be a fair bit more of that in a couple of months.

tap4154

Doctor of Teleocity
From what I understand a whole bunch of people picked up dogs and cats during the early part of the "crud", and then realized they couldn't take care of them when they went back to work, and took them to shelters. I'd definitely check the shelters first. I'm sure there's a nice looking little pup waiting there in one of them for you.

Mr. St. Paul

Tele-Holic
That's a lot of money. Our previous dogs were rescue dogs, minimal cost to adopt...the first two cost nothing, they literally came walking up our street at 6 - 8 weeks. Two sweeter dogs you'll never find. Our present dog, Louie, is a German Short-Haired Pointer and is our first pure-bred dog. My wife met him while working a summer outdoor event for her pet food store and fell in love with him when his breeder brought him up to her booth. Louie came from a bloodline of great Pointers, is super-mellow, and had AKC papers. And we paid well under a thousand for him.

Go to a breeder or rescue/adopt. That's a cute dachshund, but $5,500 is too much money, IMO. Save it for kibble/toys/vet visits.

A picture of Louie, just because:

lou.jpg

max_twang

Tele-Afflicted
Very unlikely that the puppy you saw is from a good breeder. Good breeders sell their puppies directly to the new owners.

Ask your local vet offices if they know of any Doxie breeders in your area.

Or, rescue: