Da blooz, a theory

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by soul-o, Dec 3, 2012.

1. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

Ironically, perhaps, if you go back and listen to Texas Flood and his earliest recordings, SRV played very little overdriven songs, esp. on Texas Flood. People only perceive or remember, for whatever reason, that he played the Tubescreamer cranked up, which simply isn't true, for the most part.

Players like Johnny Lang and KWS really, REALLY ruined the blues: always overdriven, always like their heroes. They are not the only ones, but the only ones to come to mind.

The Black Keys and The Racounteers (sp?) are playing some inventive blues-based materials.

2. Steveareno

Steveareno Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, it either works or not. I dig me some Rod Piazza, Lynwood Slim, Kid Ramos, Guy King, or Junior Watson...those guys manage to transcend the barriers. Some of yuz are right though: it can be kinda painful watching some middle aged dude cranking his guitar to 12 and over playing, or blowing his brains out on harp...or some young, middle class white dude hitting the inevitable line..."well, I woke up this mornin'". Don't really know why SRV gets such a bad rap? Probably because he left so many followers and imitators in his wake. I really liked his playing. That guy had the pipes and could work an audience. His career was kind patchy, but when he was on, he really burned. Saw him live at a low point and the show was very tedious and hard to take, but the El Macambo performance and the duets he did with Albert King were a stunners IMHO.
    Swang on,

3. MonkeyKing

MonkeyKing Tele-Meister

Going back to the OP,
    When I see films of blues clubs of my faves, they are rowdy places filled with booze, dancing and most of all WOMEN - there were good times, getting down and finding people to get OFF with. I think that was part of the excitement. Where do people go for that now?
    Usually at a blues show I see a bunch of guys standing still, saying `I could play that`
    SO I think that`s something that would have to change to make the blues better today too.
    Elihu, the contention was made in `American Roots MUsic` and I haven` t been able to disprove it. Handy PUBLISHED songs for years, ( some of them like the carter family) but `crazy blues` is his earliest song on record? Do you know of some earlier sides?

4. Jimo

Jimo Tele-Afflicted

To me---You need a good SONG......then worry about the "decorations"..........

5. paul74

paul74 Tele-Meister

I wrote my undergraduate dissertation on this in the late nineties. The jist of my argument was that blues started out as a wide variety of different regional styles, just like all folk. Migration, records and radio as well as electric amplification and the pushed many of the regional differences aside, to a certain degree, and that by the late 80s it was almost entirely dominated by endless guitar solos over an unchanging shuffle. SRV and others were able to transcend this but could also be sucked into it. There were obviously exceptions to this but this but the guitar heroes were the ones who seemed to dominate at the time.

I think that has reversed somewhat with bands moving away from 10 minute guitar solos through Soldanos with the od on 10. Bands like Black Keys and White Stripes as well as less obvious ones such as Gomez and even Portishead.

As a guitarist who sings I like to blow off the cobwebs when playing blues but also want to avoid leaving the audience wanting less. Blues is a feeling, but it isn't just one feeling, it can be happy, sad, angry, mad - variety and honesty are vital to keep it relevant, just like any form of music. Just an opinion.

6. kinkstah

kinkstah Tele-Afflicted

Agreed.

7. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

BMW

8. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Someone also said: the blues ain't nothin' but a good man feelin' bad!;)

Homesick James once told me: You gotta play the blues with a power! I took that to mean conviction. And he was damned right: if you're not convinced yourself, how could you convince others ... ?

9. tpaul

tpaul Poster Extraordinaire

Mississippi Gabe Carter. He has two albums out - look him up.

Here's another:

10. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Blues is about the old masters ...check this out and tell me if you are bored ...

11. Teleblooz

Teleblooz Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for this - great insight!

12. twiggymac

twiggymac Tele-Holic

13. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have a feeling that the blues is more popular in Norway than in the US ...

14. kinkstah

kinkstah Tele-Afflicted

I believe so. The same can be said for many european countries where there's a popular (though not mainstream) appreciation of blues (as well as jazz) afro-american artists/music for many years/decades now.

15. Breen

Breen Friend of Leo's

I think sadly, blues is being strangled by some of it's appreciators.

Put it this way, Johnny Lang, Joe Bonnamassa etc, to name a few appreciators, they do not hurt me as much as Son House, B.B. King do. But Gary Clark Jr does, and so does John Mayer. Really. Adele don't give you the blues? George Strait?

It don't have to be blues music to have a performance/song give you the blues.

"You take the little baby that's layin' in the cradle
    He can't get that milk bottle fast enough
    He go to kickin' an'cryin'
    An' goin' on, tearin' up the little baby bed
    He got the blues
    Can ya dig it?"
    -Albert King

And the appreciators - us, guitar players, weekend warriors, etc. We kill it. We really do. Then it turns off more would be appreciators.

Cause you just need to go watch a good blues act, and you will still feel that you have the blues. The world is sad enough even if your on your iMac and on your BMW.

16. Doug 54

Doug 54 Poster Extraordinaire

Jimmy Reed is a good antidote for blues guitar wanking.

17. Tonemaster

Tonemaster Tele-Afflicted

18. Toriginal

Toriginal Former Member

"Ain't but one kind of Blues and that consists of a male and female that's in Love" - Son House
    "The Blues - there's no black and white - it's the truth" - Van morrison

19. fezz parka

fezz parka ---------------------------

You (the royal "you") ain't gonna like this, but this is the new blues:

Deal, yo.:lol:

20. zatoichi

zatoichi Tele-Holic

Interestingly, I first heard of Terry Reid when his trio opened for Cream on the 'Goodbye' tour ('69?). Went out THE NEXT DAY and bought "Bang, Bang..." Bought everything of his I've found since.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.