Da blooz, a theory

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by soul-o, Dec 3, 2012.

1. MonkeyKing

MonkeyKing Tele-Meister

2. Tonemaster

Tonemaster Tele-Afflicted

your kiddin' right?

3. bobsway

bobsway Tele-Afflicted

The Blues are easy to play, but hard to feel. I think B.B. said that. I agree.

4. Vortexan

Vortexan Friend of Leo's

You beat me to it! But it is so true! Happy and sad. To me I can hear the blues in common Cowboy songs. Streets of Laredo is pretty blues to me. Lot's of black men came west after the civil war and brought the music with them morphing into more than just the "blues" as commonly known. Leadbelly is a perfect example of a cowboy from the period. More than straight I IV V "blues" to his music.

5. Del Pickup

Del Pickup Poster Extraordinaire

It's been said many times before but blues is all in the groove and emotion that goes into the performance - not how many notes fill the solo or how perfect the voice is that's doing the singing.

It doesn't have to be a perfect performance but if the emotion and feeling is there then most people can get what the blues is all about.

6. Sidney Vicious

Sidney Vicious Friend of Leo's

That was good tpaul - who is that? (I couldn't get the YouTube link to display)

7. Rydell

Rydell Tele-Meister

Yes, that Mississippi Gabe Carter clip,reminds me that I've never heard a better version of "Cant be satisfied" than the original Muddy Waters. Many good ones but no better. To me, these old songs speak and breathe, they more often than not stray from an format like 12bar or 8bar, they're just songs. Please lets stay soft spoken, Vaughan and Clapton are not guilty. The eighties destroyed alot of taste. Q: I work alot and suffer to get better in playin the blues, how can I get better? A: Stop sufferin.

8. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Things you might hear at a blues jam:

"Well, we've just done two 12-bar shuffles in 'E', let's move on and play something different."

"How about a 12-bar shuffle in 'A'?"

"Great! Let's do it!"

9. jjkrause84

jjkrause84 Poster Extraordinaire

I love the blue,s but I'll be honest....I don't like listening to 'blues bands' live. It's just too much. I'd far rather a band throw in a tasteful blues here and there than have to listen to a whole night of it.

10. Johnny P

Johnny P Tele-Meister

I saw that when I participated in GC's Battle of the Blues. I was the oldest cat there by 30 years and everyone had a Strat, a big peddleboard and more notes than what was needed to convey the sense of the "blues".

11. fezz parka

fezz parka ---------------------------

12. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

That sound you hear is W.C. Handy rolling over in his grave. ;) Marion Harris even left the Victor label and signed with Columbia in order to record a Handy song.

I think blues started as poor and Black-a shared suffering for a specific segment of Americans. As the country grew blues expanded and changed with it so as to accurately reflect the thoughts/frustrations of the times. The urbanization of Black People in post WWII Chicago is one example. But i think Black society has moved on from blues for the most part. Hip hop and Rap replaced blues as an outlet for frustration in the 1980's and that old-time music lost it's social relevance for most.

But blues still exists as a valid art form. It's an accepted vehicle for expression where the budding musician can find a voice and an audience and other artists can express themselves without drowning in how to say it. So what if 99 out of a 100 practitioners have nothing new to say and say it badly? How many people ever died of blues poisoning?

Art is good for the soul...helps 'em grow i think. Hey, we enroll our kids in marching/symphonic band programs. How many of them end up as a virtuoso?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  13. brandonwinmill

brandonwinmill TDPRI Member

No i wasn't. I really like Terry Reid and i think him and Jim Morrison brought a passion to the blues with their voices that keeps me paying attention. Jack White is also a huge fan and that is why he covered this one.
    -
    -

14. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

There are, as the Duke (I think) said, there are two kinds of music, good and bad. A million notes and a pained facial expression don't necessarily make good music, but neither do two out-of-tune bent notes and a dirty fedora. It's anybody's guess...

15. Tonemaster

Jack White,,,,oook. Ther ya have it.

T.

16. Tonemaster

I don't consider Los Lobos a blues band, but add Taj, and it sounds pretty Chcago to me. But WTF do I know bout the blues? I'm black, old, and poor, and divorced twice!

T.

17. Tonemaster

18. Rydell

Rydell Tele-Meister

Hey Tonemaster, great, with this music in our hearts,maybe we're poor, but never broke!

19. Shorecaster

Shorecaster Tele-Holic

I got nuthin'.

Gotta get back to plowin' and cottin pikin now

20. gptco

gptco Tele-Meister

What's a "bimmer"?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.