Da blooz, a theory

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by soul-o, Dec 3, 2012.

1. fezz parka

fezz parka ---------------------------

Meh. I love da blooze, but it's kinda been, well, done. Over-done. It's been beaten to death with a Tubescreamer green stick.:lol:

2. BBill64

BBill64 Tele-Afflicted

I think honesty is the most important thing. You can tell when someone just learned something and when they've studied and felt it.

I think to be a good blues player you have to be a blues academic - never stop studying. Live the music and feel it.

3. Maricopa

Maricopa Friend of Leo's

I do think SRV worship and emulation has all but ruined blues as a creative genre.
    Blues doesn't have to be loud overdriven guitar and drums doing endless 12 bar jams.

Amen my brutha!
    My band plays vintage style Blues. Electrified Delta, Chicago, and a mix-up of swamp and Hill country we call 'Mississippi Surf' (as well as some Americana stuff) but we don't do SRV, Bonnamassa, Clapton etc. Mostly because, you know, we can't play that goodly but even if I could I honestly wouldn't want to, just not my thing. We still have guys (and it's allllllways guys) come up and ask if we do any 'Stevie Ray' and we try and let 'em down gently and then play something cool by Jimmy Rogers.

4. Berek Halfhand

Berek Halfhand Tele-Meister

"The Blues ain't nothin' but a good man feelin' bad."
    - ???
    and

"There are two kinds of music, the Blues and 'Zippity Do Dah'".
    -Townes Van Zandt

5. Berek Halfhand

Berek Halfhand Tele-Meister

"Since my baby left me,
    I canna sing the blues,
    I've been waitin' for her to hit the road
    since 1962."

6. Tonemaster

Tonemaster Tele-Afflicted

7. Tonemaster

blahblahblahblah,,,overthinking the blues,,,,agin!

T.

8. loggerboots

loggerboots Tele-Meister

Free form improvisation on electric guitars is boring for most people, myself included (and I play guitar). Blues performance needs a compelling vocal for me to enjoy it, and like most folks, I tune out extended improvisational breaks.

SRV and Hendrix and guys like that (who were early practictioners of free form electric blues wankery and who a lot of guys seem to emulate to some degree) are legends because of their great original songs and their ability to deliver a compelling vocal (not really great singers, but you know what I mean).

If you listen to the older electric stuff, Muddy, Magic Sam, BB King, lots of great vocals, humor, story-telling - not too much endless soloing, but that's stating the obvious I guess.

I don't think this is limited to the blues, either. Any band formed by or for a virtuoso guitarist is going to be pretty boring to me (and most non-guitarists), unless the player can really write and sing.

jmho

9. loggerboots

loggerboots Tele-Meister

deleted - double post

10. greggorypeccary

greggorypeccary Friend of Leo's

There's blues and then there's blues-rock. Once it loses the swing and becomes a loud guitar based wank-fest over the same three chords, I'm good for about five minutes.

A good blues band can entertain me for a whole set or two.

11. Joe Baggadonitz

Joe Baggadonitz Friend of Leo's

Someone just posted a vid of Roy Buchanan in '74 doing a painfully slow 12 bar blues with no vocals and I could not watch it all the way through. What's the word I'm looking for?? Boring!!
    We have blues jams going on all over the place on Saturday afternoons in my neck 'o' the woods. I went for awhile but not anymore. No offense to anyone but it just doesn't move me anymore. I cannot watch another group of middle-aged, bald, white guys in black bowling shirts doing their best Gary Moore impersonation. Dats da blooze today.
    I wish someone would show up on a Saturday afternoon and do their best Captain Beefheart impersonation. Not every Saturday but once in a while would be refreshing. IMO.

12. fezz parka

fezz parka ---------------------------

I kinda feel the same way about Rockabilly.:lol:

13. Tonemaster

Dont forget the obligatory blues hat!!! geebuz....talk about stereotypical!

T.

14. stevieboy

stevieboy Poster Extraordinaire

A blues jam is a lot the TDPRI, or any other discussion site. All this crap has been said before too, many many times. But the discussion site and the jam are participatory things, where everyone gets their chance to play or spout off. Someone who spends his time and money going isn't going to say, "Hey, someone else already played a solo, I think I'll just go home now." A good band won't be anything like a blues jam. It seems to me that the blues is the one thing that always gets judged by the worst examples, whether it's a jam or just a bad band. Does anyone ever say, "That junior high school orchestra was really bad. Classical music sucks!"

Judging the blues by what goes on at jams is like judging the NY Times by what gets posted on the internet. Da prose sucks! I just won't read anything.

But of course no one has to like, or listen to, any form of music.

15. sir humphrey

sir humphrey Friend of Leo's

Good point well made. I think because blues is a kinda entry level music - it's simple to play - its the default style for the majority of people who don't like to practice too much more than learning enough to do a jam.

The thing that doesn't seem to register is that because its such a simple style, it needs very high levels of musicianship and a great sense of expression to do well. You don't need to be able to play sweep arpeggios or understand complex chord theory, but you do need to put the time in developing your ear and an understanding of song form. Blues jammers don't do this. Great blues players do.

16. stevieboy

stevieboy Poster Extraordinaire

I think blues jams are common because the song form is universal, and you don't have to spend too much time finding songs everyone knows, or worse, just kick off songs that half the people up there with you don't know. Rock jams would be much more popular, except imagine the anarchy. People would be killed!

Edit to add-- Since there isn't much in the way of jams for other types of music, a lot of people who aren't dedicated blues players will go to blues jams because that's the only outlet. And that's fine, but it adds to the impression that blues isn't very good that you might get if you choose to judge by what goes on at blues jams.

17. swellsmd

swellsmd Tele-Meister

I must say an interesting topic. I have had a blues band playing regularly for 10 years on Nd players mostly blues and classic rock before that. I am by no means a fast flashy player but I think I have a gone feel for it. I host a blues jam every Wed night of my life (5 years running, which I think is a decent accomplishment) and I have all sorts that show up. I normally plug in through a TU 9 tuner through a tube screamer and into a Blues Jr or Champ XD. I try to leave space and emotion between phrases and notes and get a polite response. I have people who play like EVH or try and be as loud as SRV and they get a standing applause and high 5's from the crowd. The blues is the current bastion of people wanting to mindlessly shred. The 80's burnt out the hair band shredders and they moved to the blues because modern rock does not have room for guitar solo'sfor the most part. Granted there are exceptions but not the rule. I search for players I like in the genre but they really for the most part rehash the same **** at different speeds and in different spots. I plyed some Robert Cray between sets last week and one kid mentioned his playing was to clean and to slow. Go figure, enough of my rant. Thanks

18. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

You need some Blues Hammer! (Wait for the end of the clip.)

19. brandonwinmill

brandonwinmill TDPRI Member

I find clapton incredibly boring.

Terry Reid, on the other hand! You not falling asleep with him singing! I don't anyways. How he isn't a household name confuses me. He was chosen as original singer for Led Zep and declined.

It's in the delivery if you ask me.
    -
    -

-
    -

20. MonkeyKing

MonkeyKing Tele-Meister

Hmmmmm.
    MUddy and Son House, Howlin Wolf and John Lee Hooker still move me.

I think that SRV and MIchelobe era Clapton turned as many people OFF the blues as on.
    IF you see BAnd of Gypsoes Hendrix, and listen to Freddie King, I think the idea of SRV as an innovator of any kind loses it`s gravity.
    And the whole troupe after - Kenny wayne Shephard, Johhny Lang - people made a conscious effort to NOT be one of THOSE guys - JAck White is probably the most famous example.

NOW with Gary Clarke, it`s like the Jack White and Black Keys generation have inspired a NEW set of blues persons.

You might not know, but until Mamie smith in 1920, all the blues records were white folks. MArion Harris was recording sides in the teens, and there are more.
    So it`s a constant cycle. Gene Autry and Jimmy Rodgers predate Robert Johnson as bluesmen.

Yes, there is SO much boring blues, but maybe it`s cos we need songs that reflect our rough edges today. Hendrix was trying, but what about keeping it real in 2012 ?
    No one`s picking cotton or working the levee now.

People afraid of losing their houses - there`s 40 people living in the gravel pit 6 iles north of here. Anybody know zealots who think the worlds ending in 2012? ?
    Of course, sex and booze never go out of style, but there`s major meth and heroin going on in MY locale. AND we hit 354 murders on thanksgiving. SO the subjects for some real honest blues are there . . .

A final thought that became a revolution -

` I realized that these guys were way over my head, and that what they were doing was so natural to them it was ridiculous of me to try to make a studious copy of it, which was what most white blues bands did. I though, what you gotta do is play your own simple blues -I could describe my experience based on the way those guys were describing theirs . . . So `I wanna be your Dog` is probably my mishearing of `baby please don`t go`
    -Iggy Pop

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.