1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

"D-style" pedals: J Rockett 'The Dude', or Wampler 'Euphoria'?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Glen W, Nov 2, 2020.

1. Iago

Iago Friend of Leo's

Tried and true Zendrive. Robben still uses it - this should be enough. I'm sure Hermida made this pedal with "must achieve Robben's overdriven Dumble tone when he's playing a blackface Super" in mind, sent one to Robben and he said "you're right!".

Zen seems to work best into a BF Fender (mid scooped). I have been using mine for 7 years into all sorts of amps and it always does a great job, but must go into a loud BF amp for Robben tones, really.

I've tried the Euphoria into a Vox once and that also sounded great. The Euphoria has a bit of a mid scoop and brighter highs though, I think that's why it sounded so good into the Vox. Bass control: I remember setting it to zero (I already knew it could be quite bassy) and the adjusting it slowly. I think 9-10:00 worked for me. Great pedal, think I'll get one one day. Not hard to adjust at all IMO. I liked the "smooth" mode, didn't care about the others.

I also think "The Dude" sounds great, from most of the demos I've heard.

Glen W and DougM like this.
  2. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

I agree with @lago about the Euphoria. I had one and it was a bit too mid-scooped for me. Now I have the Tomsline Dumbler and the Tone City Durple, and they both sound kind of Dumbley.
    24767.f.jpg 41mXASmBD1L.jpg

Brett Valentine and Glen W like this.
  3. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

Ive had three D-style pedals..

the Dude, Euphoria and Mad professor Simble..

The Dude went right out after a week.. just not my type of OD, although its good, the Euphoria is better at getting smoother, rounded tones.. the open setting is the nicest I've had in a long time.. Euphoria pushed by a Tim/Timmy is really good as well..

The Mad Professor Simble is good and have a little edge over the Euphoria.. just more amp-like with great touch sensitivity.. If im choosing between the Euphoria or Simble, Id get the Simble and be happy.. Although, Id be spending a little bit more on the Twimble.. which is the Simble and a pre-drive to goose it further and get those saturated tones..

Brett Valentine and Glen W like this.
  4. Glen W

Glen W Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

ruger9 likes this.
  5. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

6. Old Smokey

Old Smokey TDPRI Member

You have to at least consider a Page into a Maiden-D.

7. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

whew. Now we’re talking.. we’re getting into the big boy league with these pedals though. Hehehe. I’m on the waitlist but not the D type pedals though. Hehe

8. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

The Zendrive might have been the first "dumble" pedal... I had one, twice, and also a clone of it (the Joyo TaiChi is a Zendrive clone). I could never get the Zens to work for me, for Robben's tone. Going into a clean Princeton. I've had better luck with all the others mentioned... but yes: it's what Robben uses, and that's who it's designed to sound like.

When Barber designed the Small Fry, Robben Ford was also his target:

note: the Small Fry is actually called the "Small Fry Burn Unit", which is a smaller version of the original Burn Unit:

The original Burn Unit was released in 1998, I had a Dumble Overdrive Special in my studio that had been built for my buddy Joe Amy, the amp lived at my studio for about a year. When I was designing the Burn Unit I compared it to that amp until I had the sound really close. Joe's Alexander Dumble amp was a copy of the model that Robben Ford used on Talk To Your Daughter, I remember Joe telling me that Alexander said it had a different output transformer he called "the blues model", it sounded really great so I had to try to make a pedal verisimilitude. The Burn Unit also was the first pedal to have a dynamics knob, but lately you see pedal builders incorporating "fancy new dynamics knobs" into their pedals, funny stuff!.
    -David Barber

What's cool about the Dynamics knob on the Small Fry is: it's like having a "compressed" or "open" setting... but instead of being a toggle, it's adjustable, I actually keep mine around 11:00...

Iago likes this.
  9. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

If I were to play in that direction...
    I’d spend the money for a Gladio from Cornerstone.

$440 and change but if You wanna run with The Big Dogs...

I’m more Plexi than D-style so for me it’s a Barber Direct Drive coupled with a Keeley Abbey Chamber Verb. I’ve always admired the various John Mayall Outfits through
    the decades.:D:D

10. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Afflicted

Another happy Euphoria user, very versatile. But I only play single coils through Fender reissue amps. I prefer the transparent overdrive types. Just my cup of tea.

Glen W likes this.
  11. Grenville

Grenville TDPRI Member

I had an early Wampler Euphoria that was magical through the 18w Marshall clone I was using at the time. A friend of mine seemed to need it more than I did, so he has it now, with strict instructions to never get rid of it.

More recently, through a 20w Marshall 2061 I've used a Black Magic Zendrive that I initially liked a lot, but found a bit shreiky at gigs, a Tomsline Dumbler that's a little rough around the edges but great as a solo boost live, and a One Control Golden Acorn that's all class.

Nowadays I'm using fuzz a lot more, but would go back to the Golden Acorn if I needed drive instead.

Brett Valentine, Glen W and igor5 like this.
  12. pi

pi Tele-Meister

I built a Zendrive, and it sounds nice. I have no idea what a Dumble sounds like, I just like different flavors of drive.

Glen W likes this.
  13. Iago

Iago Friend of Leo's

pi and Glen W like this.
  14. jsalvaggio

jsalvaggio Tele-Meister

Glen W likes this.
  15. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Tele-Meister

I run a Timmy before a Wampler Ecstasy/Euphoria (smooth mode) and had success setting the Wampler up tonally as a more overdriven stage of the tone I got with the Timmy. Those two work well together. The Euphoria can get a bit scooped if you let it.

Glen W likes this.
  16. Hobbo

Hobbo TDPRI Member

I've had a Providence Stampede SOV2 on my board for about 10 years now, you can get some really beautiful singing tones out of it - and pick them up about 100usd now too.

Zendrive makes everything sound great and really punches through the mix soaring out any lead solos. But it's picky and I find tricky to get it set right sometimes.

My latest pedal is a Greer Special Request. Its a FET preamp modelled on the preamp found in SSS Dumbles I believe. Its replaced a klon as my always on pedal on my board. It's just the most perfect preamp I've ever used. Seriously just try one and you'll never look back....

Glen W likes this.
  17. deus56

deus56 Tele-Meister

Paging Mr. Dumble.
    [​IMG]

Glen W likes this.
  18. Hoodster

Hoodster Friend of Leo's

I'm in the same hunt as well, looking for a smooth drive to make single coils sing through BF amps at home volume.

My search seems to be narrowing down to the euphoria, simble, small fry, or dude.

The small fry would be my first choice but they're virtually impossible to find, and since the euphoria is so widely available and the most affordable of the bunch on the used market, it would probably be my first choice.

My main hesitation is I've owned two Wampler drives recently and neither worked for me. Both the Tumnus and Plexi sounded great at lower gain levels but lost the smoothness as you increased the drive. Apples and oranges of course with the type of overdrive, but still puts me off a little bit.

Glen W likes this.
  19. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Just get a Mesa Mark I.

20. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

I saw a couple of Barber Burn Units on Reverb today. One of those could get you there.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.