D string problem on my #1

Boreas

Doctor of Teleocity
I have a cheesy USB microscope. It was a lousy $15 on Amazon about 10 years ago and it is the bee's knees for seeing stuff at the micro level. Here's a happy-snap I took of the high E string saddle on a Strat.

High-E-saddle.png
A lot can be learned from molecular-level detail!😁

Freeman Keller

Doctor of Teleocity
Great tip. I definitely don't trust myself. lol

Is the motion a straight motion with the file or a rocking motion?
Wait a minute. You've got a buzzy first fret which usually means the nut slot is too low or you have a high fret or you don't have enough relief and you haven't measured anything but you are going to start filing?

LaMarr-Bruister

TDPRI Member
Wait a minute. You've got a buzzy first fret which usually means the nut slot is too low or you have a high fret or you don't have enough relief and you haven't measured anything but you are going to start filing?
Why do you assume I didn’t measure anything….just because I didn’t post how many thousandths of relief I have? I did measure, but the problem is limited strictly to the D string and the string is now rubbing on the first fret, which it didn’t do previously. I’m not concerned about a high fret since that would be a pretty unusual spot to have a fret raise up ; only on ghe d string. Also, if putting a small pc of paper under the string cures things perfectly, why wouldn’t I want to raise the slot slightly and solve the problem?

Edit to add - this might have come off more hostile than intended. I wasn’t trying to be a jackass

Last edited:

Freeman Keller

Doctor of Teleocity
All of your symptoms pointed to too low a nut slot. Don't know how it got there, might have been marginal before. There are a couple of good tests for nut slot depth, including first fret clearance, back fret clearance. However now in your last post you are admitting that the D string is rubbing on the fret. That tells me the slot is too low, but there are a couple of other possibilities, relief being one of them, condition of frets another.

Yes you want to raise the slot, unfortunately that is not all that easy. I've crossed that line and find it easiest just to make a new nut. Good luck.

red57strat

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I've got one guitar with a slightly low D string slot. It works fine as long as the neck relief is right where I like it. It'll rattle on the first fret if the neck straightens even a tiny bit. I can tell the changing seasons with that guitar. It's my hygrometer.

But I've also had guitars that seemed like a string was rattling on the first fret when the real problem was that there wasn't enough back angle on the nut slot. This is where a nut file might help.