D&M Drive vs. Paisley Deluxe?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by jojohaha, Feb 17, 2020.

Which would you buy?

1. Wampler

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
  2. Keeley

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  3. Other

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  1. jojohaha

jojohaha NEW MEMBER!

Hoping to get some advice on a new pedal purchase please.

Wanting to add a drive and boost to my setup preferably in one housing.

I'm currently running an Ethos overdrive amp, Strymon Flint and Ego Comp.

Hoping owners or people who have played these two can give me some feedback/advice.

I play a Strat predominantly and essentially like those Mayer 'type' tones.

Any other other suggestions are welcome too.

Cheers

2. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

They’re both great, but I like the D&M.
    The boost side of it is awesome IMO.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  3. Nick-O

Nick-O TDPRI Member

I have an Ethos OD 30 watt amp. It is my second one. I think it is one of the most versatile bits of gear I own. It can run into a cab, it can run direct into FOH thru its own cab sim which is outstanding, or it can register full power and allow you to run a Helix or Kemper or whatever thru it getting the full 30 watts, uncolored, into a proper speaker cab. Amazing, and it is the most dumble of dumbles out there. Highly underrated.

4. tah1962

tah1962 Tele-Afflicted

I had the D&M Drive but sold it. I haven’t tried the Paisley Deluxe but I have the Wampler Dual Fusion and like it a lot. Other dual drive/boosts that I own are the Analogman King of Tone (my favorite), and the Mojo Hand FX Odessa.

5. Ducerro

Ducerro Tele-Holic

I'm not sure my input is relevant as I've never owned a "real" pedal before, but I was looking at the same two pedals a week ago. This was/is my first pedal purchase - so all I can give you is the reason why I went the direction I did.

The Whampler Paisley Deluxe is a combination of the Underdog Overdrive (highly sought after and out of production) and the Paisley Drive. It's two overdrives in one pedal, stackable for some awesome sounds. The Keely D&M is a Boost (Mick's side) and an Overdrive (Dan's side) combined.

Since I wanted to add as many pedals as I could without taking up a lot of space on the board, I went with the Keely D&M. Was it the right decision? Don't know. In addition to being my first pedal purchase ever, I'm still waiting on the power supply and the board to get here so I can power up (both are due in today). And even if I had the power to plug it up I still wouldn't be much help. Like I said - it's my first pedal ever.

Both of the pedals sound fantastic in online videos - which I'm pretty sure you've already watched. So I know what you're going through - I was just there last week.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  6. Andy_White_83

Andy_White_83 TDPRI Member

I don’t have any experience with a paisley deluxe but I happened to like my D&M Drive best with my strats. The Mick side is a great low gain boost that can give some great Mayer tones.

My only issue with the d&m is I find the Dan side a little harsh and fizzy when by itself. But when I stack it into the Mick side it filters a lot of that out and gives a great mids-forward drive tone. So I probably use the pedal “backwards” in a way. I have the boost side on a lot and then I’ll hit it with the drive side for more gain. It works. And it also looks like that’s how Dan and Mick tend to use it on the show most often.

lineboat likes this.
  7. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

That’s how I use mine too. That boost side is great to boost other pedals too.

Andy_White_83 likes this.
  8. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Afflicted

Two Rats :)

9. Andy_White_83

Andy_White_83 TDPRI Member

No doubt. Mine stays first in line for that very reason. I’ve run the boost into several other drives with great results.

lineboat likes this.
  10. basher

basher Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I'm strongly inclined to favor Wampler based on the stellar customer service experiences I've had with them.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.