D-G-C-F... any of you do it?

FortyEight

Friend of Leo's
i mean, thats not it for me but i totally appreciate that. plus we might do some metal sounding tunes. i tune my guitars to eflat somewhat frequently. would be nice to have one to leave in eflat.

im not sure why that should or would be a problem for other people. thats just silly.

kbold

Friend of Leo's
I've tried tuning to 5ths (C-G-D-A), which I quite liked.
It's basically cello tuning an octave down.
Just needs a B string (low B of a 5 string, which you can buy separately) tuned up to C.
A string tuned down to G. D is unchanged. G string tuned up to A.
Just ensure the nut can fit the extra diameter of the B string.

Might be a bit of a stretch if you want to do some bass shredding (is that a thing?).

Matt G

Tele-Afflicted
Coming back to the earlier J vs P bass question . . . if DGCF on the J bass isn't getting enough whomp, one can always go the P / J route. To me, that beats buying another instrument.

FortyEight

Friend of Leo's
i like having a second bass as a back up for gigs. a pj pickup in a p is s good idea for different flavors. id have to try one to see if the bridge pup would be in the way of picking muted bass. the j i specifically made sure was i think the post 60s style. there are two different placements for the bridge pup.

BigDaddyLH

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I've tried tuning to 5ths (C-G-D-A), which I quite liked.
It's basically cello tuning an octave down.
Just needs a B string (low B of a 5 string, which you can buy separately) tuned up to C.
A string tuned down to G. D is unchanged. G string tuned up to A.
Just ensure the nut can fit the extra diameter of the B string.

Might be a bit of a stretch if you want to do some bass shredding (is that a thing?).

Red Mitchell tuned his double bass like that.