D Day Tomorrow

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by nojazzhere, Jun 5, 2019.

1. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Tomorrow is the seventy-fifth anniversary of the D Day Invasion.....I'm putting my flag out in the morning.....just sayin'.
    My father was not part of the first wave, but came in a little later.....he was a glider pilot.

2. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Meister

Day of days.

When I’ve been at my lowest, I've looked to the countless stories of the scores of heroic men who took part in WWII. Truly inspiring.

Appreciate the reminder. Our nation’s heroes (and let’s not forget the Brits and Canadians took part in D-Day as well) should never be forgotten.

3. Cheap guitar guy

Cheap guitar guy Tele-Meister

I fly the flag every day at my house. My beliefs are strong. I will leave it at that because I do not want to counter the rules in this great forum. God bless America.

4. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I want to say something, but I don’t know what, so i’ll just have a thought for all those we owe our freedom to.

5. Greggorios

Greggorios Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

A thought or a prayer of thanks to all those who served.

6. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Miss Montana (a DAK/Dakota/C-47/DC-3) made it over to France from U.K. for her paratrooper jump today. She just got up and running a few weeks ago here in Missoula. My wife has been following them on FB. An awesome bunch of them from all over the world are involved. We saw their practice parachute drop up here just before they started their journey. Very cool stuff to commemorate the Normandy invasion. Total respect for everyone involved that day to turn the war around.

7. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

My wife and I drove up to Normandy last trip to France. It's our history and our heritage. The cemetery with its rows upon rows of graves seemed almost endless. It's almost unimaginable how anyone made it across the Omaha beach, much less up the cliffs. It's equally unimaginable how anyone made it across Utah from the beach past the bunkers to the first of the hedgerows a kilometer inland with no cover. Prayers for the fallen and immense gratitude for all of those who served.

8. cc50fralin

cc50fralin Tele-Meister

Yes.
    Thanks which we cannot repay to every one who did not come home.

My father was in the 8th Air Force as a mechanics helper until the war ended.
    He told me many stories of B-17s coming home all shot up, and men with horrible wounds being taken to hospital. Many didn't make it.

I'm not sure if my Uncle Arthur was in D Day, but he was in the Battle of The Bulge, and almost lost both feet. Not to bullets, but due to his socks freezing on him for three days.

My Uncle Joe was a Marine in the Pacific, and was in a couple of messy battles on Guadalcanal.

And all three of them came home.

Thanks to all who served then, and now.

Mike

9. Soof

Soof TDPRI Member

Just saw a good doc on our PBS station on the battle for the bridge at La Fiere in France. Something I knew very little about even though I've studied WWII quite a bit.
    I have the deepest respect for the men (and women) who fought for our enduring freedom. As has been said, this is the greatest generation!

10. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My flag is out every day. God bless them all. What it must have been like to see those beaches in front of you. I don’t believe it would be possible to get that kind of cooperation and decisions made from our leaders today.

11. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

My grandfather was there. He never got over it. I have a very deep respect for all our veterans. Thank you, and Welcome Home.

12. telestratosonic

telestratosonic Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

My wife and I have been following the D-Day observances all day. Her maternal grandfather, one of his brothers, and one of her father's brothers served with the Canadian Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry (PPCLI) during World War II. She doesn't know if they landed in Normandy on D-Day.

My mom's oldest brother fought in North Africa under British General Bernard Montgomery. He ended the war in the Brenner Pass in northern Italy. He was a gunner with the 166th Royal Newfoundland Field Artillery (25 pounders, I believe, towed by 2 Ton trucks). Newfoundland, which was not a part of Canada until 1949, fought with the British forces. He and my father, who was too young for WW II, were best friends. He, my uncle, was the coolest guy I've ever met: easy going, smart, and never judgmental. He died at 93. The greatest generation for sure.

preactor, nojazzhere, Jim622 and 5 others like this.
  13. LoveHz

LoveHz Tele-Holic

Been watching some archive film on the BBC. My Dad is somewhere in the middle of that lot on Gold Beach (Arromanches).

14. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Holic

Great grandfather fought in Normandy(not on the day, iirc), wouldn't talk much about it until way later. Like the early 90s later, and even then only with a few people.
    Earned a purple heart by the time he was done, and was just generally an outstanding human being in every way I could ever see.
    Beyond any shadow of a doubt, the greatest generation.

preactor, nojazzhere, Jim622 and 6 others like this.
  15. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Miss Montana along with plenty of other DAKs made two paratrooper drops today. The Miss Montana mechanic sent live video from the ground of the event via FB. It was incredible. It looked like well over 50 made the jump. Another run tomorrow.

16. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's

17. 41144

41144 Tele-Holic

There are surely few things in life as humbling as seeing those Normandy beaches, visiting the cemeteries or hearing the stories of Normandy veterans.

Lest we forget ....

dday.jpg

18. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

Here is FDR's prayer as the invasion began.

"In this poignant hour...."

19. Greggorios

Greggorios Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Very moving live coverage of ceremonies at the beaches in France right now. WWII was over about 10 years before I was born but I have very fresh, vivid memories of seeing all of the WWII Veterans as a child. Just walking around on a weekend the visible presence of our veterans was everywhere; men without limbs, blind, etc. Memorial Day, 4th of July, Veterans Days they were everywhere. These men and women fought in a war that included most of the major nations on the planet fighting the regimes of the Axis. The outcome of the war would determine the survival of those nations independence and freedoms.

These are RECENT EVENTS not some long forgotten history of a bygone era. We all have a responsibility to pass on these memories to younger generations.

'Those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it.'

20. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

The fighting at Omaha was indeed horrific- at one point commanders considered abandoning the beach, evacuating the survivors as much as possible and re-routing the follow up waves to Utah beach. Fortunately though, the Germans were unable to adequately reinforce their defenses and the breakthrough occurred. Eisenhower had deliberately chosen fresh divisions with no combat experience for the initial waves, because he knew veterans would see the suicidal task for what it was and refuse to move off the beach.

Regarding the article linked above though, it was written by S.L.A. Marshall in 1960. Although once revered in military circles, Marshall has been found to have fabricated a great deal of his work (and lied about his own participation in historical events) and is no longer considered a legitimate academic source. Especially galling in this regard is his once-classic "Men Against Fire," which guided US Army policy for decades.

Not to pee in anyone's cornflakes, but I thought it was important to point this out.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.