D. Allen pickups Johnny Hiland humbucker installed!

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by geetarfreek82, Jun 18, 2011.

1. geetarfreek82

geetarfreek82 Tele-Afflicted

After watching this video a few dozen times and just lovin the tone Johnny was getting out of humbuckers (!!!), I contacted Mr. David Allen.

He told me that he was in the works of making a JH signature set, and that these were on a custom order basis only. Well, I put an order for a Zebra Johnny Hiland bridge humbucker, and I got it about two weeks ago. (I've been quite busy and have not had the time to post a review or snap pictures until now) I put it in the bridge slot of my recently acquired Blacktop Jazzmaster. Now I know the tone Johnny is getting in that vid comes mostly from his fingers, but I must say that once I put this pickup in and plugged into my '78 Fender Champ and cranked the volume to 10, I got pretty close to that sound, even with my half-@$$ed playing. This pickup matches nicely with the Jazzmaster pickup in the neck, but by itself it is just awesome! I've tried many a humbucker that has claimed to sound like a single coil in my days, but this it's the closest I've ever gotten to a tele-like sound out of a ' bucker. It is very crisp and clear, yet full on the low strings... When clean there is plenty of snap, and I am surprised at how dynamic this pickup is! Tele licks just sound awesome played on this thing. Add a little dirt and the tone holds up beautifully and doesn't mud out or get harsh. All in all I am both impressed and totally happy with this pickup. Kudos to David for making such an awesome pickup. I guess these will be available officially later this year.

2. geetarfreek82

Here are the pics.....

Attached Files:

3. geetarfreek82

Bump

4. fenson

fenson ---------------------------------

Congrats I haven't gotten into Dave's HB yet but it sounds like I should Congrats he make fantastic stuff.

5. geetarfreek82

I've been kinda anti-humbucker lately, but once I saw that video of Johnny playing that h-s-h Music Man Silhouette, I just had to try it out. I bought the Blacktop Jazzmaster with the intention of putting either a Seymour Duncan Phat Cat or a P-Rails in it, but I think it's gonna stay this way!

6. D.Allen

D.Allen Tele-Holic Vendor Member

Hey thanks geetarfreek82 I appreciate your kind words.
    I could not see the video above I think it was this one.

7. geetarfreek82

Oops, yeah that one lol. Good stuff man, thanks for the hookup. Oh, I got that other thing today, it looks great!

8. D.Allen

D.Allen Tele-Holic Vendor Member

I decided it is better to make my own base plates. The steel is nice and thick should give you a better base response. Let me know what you think.

9. fenson

fenson ---------------------------------

Yes I have always been anti-HB in Fender guitars . But I do have a LP and Sheraton II for the HB thing.
    I think I will have to try these in the LP.:)

If you do go with something else and want to sell it LMK !

10. fezz parka

fezz parka ---------------------------

Kudos David. Great sounding pickup!

11. geetarfreek82

Yup, it really is. I'm wondering how this thing will sound in one of my SG's or maybe in my 1983 Gibson "The Paul..." :)

(I just noticed that this is an "evil" post for me, number-wise lol)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.