Cyanoacrylate and masking tape question

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Marn99, Jan 23, 2017.

1. Marn99

Marn99 Tele-Meister

Hey everyone,
    So I have as of late fallen in love with Crimson Guitar's CA glue and masking tape method of fixing templates and other things, but I do have some questions. First, what viscosity of super glue should I be using? Second, I am using a template for the pickguard, eventually I want to be capable of doing things more independent of templates but at the moment I am using a one as this is my first build, anyway, with the rapid oxidization of super glue do I have to worry about it damaging the plastic underneath?

2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

adirondak5 likes this.
  3. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

I tried using that tip for the first time in earnest on my current build. I have had a mixed bag with it. I use medium, and the tape does stick like the devil (in fact, I should get some lower tack so that it doesn't hold 'quite' so well in some situations). I have found that sometimes the glue doesn't really want to set and so it takes forever for the piece to be ready to go. I do, however, like that it leaves no residue (unless the glues squeezes out, which does happen) and it doesn't move around at all. With double sided duct tape, there is still a small amount of movement just by virtue of being thick and squishy. I also don't really like the added height or more frequent occurrence of residue with double sided duct tape. But I guess there is no silver bullet. The Frost King double sided window plastic tape, however, was not that far off...

lfc322 likes this.
  4. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Afflicted

Are you using CA on plastic? I read your question a few times and I'm not familiar with the method so I can't really answer it but I'll offer you my CA warning and that's be very careful with that stuff. CA can burn certain types of Paper towels and my I can tell you first hand what it can do to your skin. I got a 3rd degree chemical burn once on the first digit of my middle finger while making a pen and trying to do a CA finish. I had a blister the size of a grape on the end of my finger for about a month. I wouldn't advise against using it, but just know what you're getting into. Like most tools, when handled properly and safely it's fine, until the time you slip up or what have you. I seem to recall Cyanoacrylate being able to melt some plastics but I could be wrong. As with most things, A few years down the road and I forget some of the finer details.

In my case, I was going for a CA finish on a pen I was making which involves running CA over the pen barrel while it's turning on the lathe. Then you use a paper towel to level it out in the few moments it takes to dry. Well just when I was starting to get fairly good at it, I accidentally squeezed out way too much, it went straight to the paper towel and adhered it to my finger burning me severely in the process (though just the tip of my finger so I was lucky). The reaction with the cotton is what did it. I'd post a gruesome picture but I don't want to violate any forum rules ;) Anyway sorry for the ramble and not being able to answer your question. My guess (if I'm understanding right) would be a thin CA that you're looking for. But I use double sided tape with good results.

adirondak5 likes this.
  5. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted

A random thought.

Why don't you pre-drill the pick guard mounting holes into the template and pickguard material and use them to mount the pickguard to the template with the mounting screws, then you don't have to worry about sticky residue or scraping off tape... I'm sure someone would have tried this before and will tell me it wouldn't work!

I_build_my_own and Steve Holt like this.
  6. mikeyb

mikeyb Tele-Meister

I like Bondo for template repair. A quart is a lifetime supply. It's forgiving and easy to shape for at least 20 minutes and dries hard as steel.

7. Steve Holt

See I think this is what had me confused. Are we fixing the template as in attaching it to the plastic for your pickguard, or repairing something? :rolleyes:

8. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted

When OP says 'fixing templates', I think he means fixing a template to the stock.

This is the trick he's referring to I believe

9. Special Brew

Special Brew Tele-Meister

He is referring to this

Marn99 likes this.
  10. Special Brew

Special Brew Tele-Meister

Damn you beat me to it by a couple of seconds!

Marn99 and Mat UK like this.
  11. mikeyb

mikeyb Tele-Meister

Fixing (attaching) a template. Use turner's tape (Peachtree.) Weight it down for an hour. I use barbell plates.

If you can't screw the template to the work, it's the best method.

12. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

I screw down the body and neck templates if I can. For pickguards I use double sided tape. 3M, duct or golf grip tape. No mess or glued fingers and it holds just fine.

13. Marn99

Marn99 Tele-Meister

fixing it to a pickguard blank to shape it

14. Steve Holt

It's also important to note that if you see me commenting a lot on your threads it's because I'm naturally drawn to your Heroes album Avatar:D

Marn99 likes this.
  15. Marn99

Marn99 Tele-Meister

David Bowie is my favorite artist! The Heroes album holds a special place in my heart not only because it is probably one of his greatest works and my favorite out of all of his albums but also because last year (my junior year of high school) I arranged a band and I sung Heroes as a tribute at the spring concert :D, we were a bit understaffed in terms of overdriven guitar but we still did well. it was then that I chose to pursue a music major

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
    Mat UK and Steve Holt like this.
  16. Steve Holt

Okay, you and I are officially friends. No way around it.

Marn99 likes this.
  17. mudimba

mudimba Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I don't think anybody answered your question about viscosity. When I use that trick I like thin, but medium works OK. Activator also makes it work a whole lot better since it doesn't slip after you have it lined up. I've never used it on pickguard material, but I've used it on a million other kinds of plastic with no issues (I use the technique a lot to hold things in place when I fix my kids' toys).

18. TuffyKohler

TuffyKohler TDPRI Member

thin CA. i get a 1 oz. bottle for about $9, and a bottle of accelerator spray for a few bucks. I hit up the model airplane shops. Lasts quite awhile.

haven't used double sided tape in a long time

19. mPacT

mPacT Tele-Holic

Be careful and avoid inhaling that accelerator!

20. metecem

metecem Friend of Leo's

I would not use anything else then screws and double sided tape (Tesa in my case)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.